GreaseSpot Cafe

Do I have a case?

Georgio Jessio

In 1981 I was out WOW and was hit by a car. I spent weeks in the hospital with serious injuries. Broken femur, ruptured spleen, concusion and eye laceration.

When I got out of the hospital the lawsuit against the driver took place. We recieved a settlement for 3,333.33 Big money in those days.

The money was supposed to go into an account and handed to me when I was 18. But it didn't. My other gave the money to TWI, who told her it was a gift from God that covered a NEED. The money was used to pay our family corps tuition and fees, which were very much in question as my other missed the deadline.

Do I have a case against TWI? Mind you ,my other was totally brainwashed. TWI didn't give us "permission" to attend my grandfather's funeral that same year because we were out WOW and were not allowed to leave the state where we were sent. She did what ever they said. The money should have gone to me for college or what ever. I never saw cent and instead was abused for years in Rome City. I no longer have a relationship with my mother or TWI.

So should I sue TWI, my mother, both or no one? Who's at fault?

Glow-ry!

Geeze georgio...that really sucks...I am sure that your Mom had someone telling her that crap about it being a *gift* and leaning on her to go into the corpes.....What a load of crap..

YOU suffer horribly...YOU give up a college education...and she calls it a *gift*

I think you might have a case against both....

I don`t know ...my advice is to maybe talk to an attorney....child stars sue their folks years later for misapropriation of their earnings.

I know that My Dad`s Mom was able to sue his Dad a couple of years ago for child support never paid from over 30 years ago...so maybe you have a chance...

That not withstanding...I would mail her a bill...I would tell her that *I* paid the tab for her foolishness.... and I damn well expected to be recompensed.

quote:
Maybe it's time to move on. After all this was 23 years ago. I'm not sure any court would give you a case anyway.

I think this is the best advice. However, if it really bothers you, you could write a letter to your mother, tactfully expressing your anger and dismay at her actions. It may not do any good but at least you've communicated your feelings. If you're still intent on suing somebody, consult with a lawyer but I doubt you can get anything after all this time.

First of all I would never really sue my mom. I was just talking in legal rights terms.

I have moved on in many areas, this just always bothered me. I had a friend in a similar situation and his 3 grand matured to ten by the time he was 21. This has been bothering me since the day it happened. When my mother paid that tuition I asked her if she used "my money that I'm supposed to get when I'm 18"

That was greated with a smack. I never asked again till I was 17. I was told it was TWI's fault.

I guess I'm just screwed. Oh well. I was going to ask a lawyer but figured I'd ask me ex wayfer pals to weigh in first.

Thanks to all.

Glow-ry!

This account oughtta go on the child abuse thread as well....

Contact a lawyer anyway....one of the major reasons twi has gotten away with what they have all of these years is because people were talked out of seeking legal recourse.

I`d still be ....ed....no ...you aren`t going to sue your mom....but a letter letting her know that contrary to her belief....it was NOT a gift from God...that you personally had to pay her tab ....what she owes you....with interest ...had that money been reasonably invested as was intended by the court .....would get the message across ...ie she screwed her kid for twi...

Long as she can delude herself and feel like it was a *gift* from God...she doesn`t have to get honest with herself or you or God.

Money placed in a trust for a minor then subsequently used by the guardian of the trust without permission of the court is an act of fraud. I would say contact the court to notify the judge of this misappropriation of funds without your consent. Normally the court appoints a guardian ad litem to oversee the use of any funds from a minor's trust prior to the minor having access to those funds (usually at age 18). Guardians or parents are never allowed to access this money without going through the guardian ad litem (usually an attorney to oversee the trust for the minor) and the court.

GJ: Lawyers these days will allow you 1 hr free consult. After I read your first post the first thing that came to my mind was statute of limitations. Not too many things last 20 plus yrs.

This reminds me of what TWI taught about that scripture where Jesus confronted the Pharissees about their "tradition" of conning people into giving the money they had put aside to take care of their aging folks to the temple as a "gift" so they wouldn't have to take care of their folks.

Maybe someday if your mom gets ill and calls on you for help you could say, "sorry, I give my time and money to ______ as a gift, I can't help you." Just a thought.

My mom is not in. We got out in the 80s. She snd I do not speak and our issues are much bigger than this money. I have confronted her about so much that I am not bringing this up to her now.

What I have done is contacted the hospital to get my accident report and hospital records back. I am only interested in the truth at this point. I have no idea what the lawyers name was and neither does she.

I am looking into it...

Glow-ry!

Doze, what you are saying is absolutely correct. I really don't see how this could have been done without the attorney's knowledge.

From experience, paperwork is required, before money is released from the trust, to show that there is no misuse of the funds.

Guess anything can be done if you know how or who can do it...

Six months ago my 6 yr. old daughter and I were in a car wreck. The lawyer told me that I could not spend her share of the settlement money without permission from the court. I would have to actually petition the court for permission to spend any of her money and it would have to be totally for her benefit. It was made very clear to me whose money that was and whose it was not.

After all the dust cleared, all she got was about $3 grand. The lawyer told me I could use it toward replacing my vehicle that was totaled in the wreck.

I asked what changed since the first advice and the answer was that $3 grand was nothing to them - the courts don't care if I spent that, but if it would have been a major settlement like the $300 grand the lawyer first anticipated, that's when the parents don't have the right to spend the child's money.

Funny thing was that more bills came in after they cut me that check - bills for more than that $3 grand. (good ol' no fault state)

B - Better

O - Off

W - Without

t - the

w - way

i - international

Hi Georgio Jessio,

I'm sorry about your accident.

Reading your story, I can't help but wonder what the settlement money represents to you. If it's a college education, I wonder if you've considered picking up a few evening shifts at the local McDonald's for six months. You'll not only earn back that three thousand dollars your mother spent, but it will also pay for your courses at your local community college.

If you're looking for some sort of justice, I'm not sure what the current statistics are, but the last I heard it costs around a hundred and seventy thousand dollars to raise a child to adulthood. While it may be insulting to think that the money left in a lump sum made out to The Way, I doubt your mother would have any trouble proving she spent that much and more to provide for you during your childhood. I'm not sure why you would want to sue her. A legal battle with a family member will take a toll, both emotionally and physically, and likely fracture an already strained relationship. I doubt you'd gain much, even if you got the three thousand dollars, or even ten thousand.

I hope you reconsider.

Well I am not going to sue my mother. What I'm thinking is she was totally brainwashed and therefore was unable to make the right decision. I have many incidents to ack this up that have nothing to do with money. Like I said, I mised my grandfather's funeral because we were out wow, just one state away , but we were told not to go, so we didn't. I was told that my father was posessed by Satan simply because he didn't want me raised in TWI. The list goes on. My mother did not make motherly decisions when it came to raising me.

I seriously don't hold her accountable for most of this. She had the worst case of waybrain this side of Mike. If leadership told her to jump off a bridge she would have. Heck, they told her to quit taking her medication and it almost killed her.

I think TWI stole my money. Money that , when matured. is a heck of alot more than 3 grand. When I went to college, which I paid out of my pocket, that money WOULD have paid for alot. Tuition has increased alot quicker than inflation, so it would hardly make a dent today. But when I went to school 10 grnd helps. Heck ten grand helps today.

But to adress Laleo. I don't know if you think I am some bum that is trying to get rich quick here or what. I have a nice career going, I don't need a job at McDonalds, but thanks for the loving advice. Here's what my money represents to me: my money. It was supposed to go to me but went to a cult instead, at said cult's insitance. They called it a miracle. I call it my money, given to me on account of a very serious car accident that was not my fault. I don't know if you were kidding or are just insenitive or what, but what you said wasn't cool. The law is the law, it doesn't say that my mother gets to spend the money because raising kids is expensive.

If 45 year old men can get paid as a way to compensate for being molested by a priest 25 years ago, why can't I have my money? I was physically, mentally and sexually abused by TWI. They tore my family apart and called it "revelation". They stole my money and called it "a miracle". They called my grandfather's death a "trick" to get me to leave the wow field. I can't have any of that back. What's it worth?

How much is abuse worth? It nearly ruined my life, so to heck with how much my mother spent to raise me. How much is your sanity, virginity and pain worth? Who steals from her own son to get a worthless theology "degree" from an abusive cult? What kind of church tells her to give them the money? I was raised in the twiight zone.

Screw them, give me back my money. They had no right to it in the first place.

Glow-ry!

G Jessio -- I agree. I missed my brother's wedding in 1979, cause I was a wow, and "could not leave the field".

I love the statement you made about your mom ---

"I seriously don't hold her accountable for most of this. She had the worst case of waybrain this side of Mike". icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

We all been there, and done that, at one time or another. Hang in There!!!! icon_cool.gif

Amen Georgio!!! You were ROBBED...though no amount of money can EVER pay you back for the pain and suffering endured at that cults hands........I dearly hope that you can get some sort of compensation though.......... I would dearly love to see you hit twi where it hurts the most....their friggin pocket book!

I also think that if what they did to you...comes back to bite em in the bu tt...MAYBE just maybe you can stop them from brutality against some of the other little georgios still at their mercy...now and in the future...

Mess em up man....maybe they will stop hurting people

[This message was edited by rascal on February 21, 2004 at 10:51.]

Georgio: I can understand your being ticked off at your mother's poor judgment in how she spent your money, especially since it was at a time you were powerless to do anything about it, but I don't understand why you would consider suing her (even though you've said you're not going to sue her, you did raise the possibility in your first post, and again in subsequent posts). I especially can't comprehend the level of vindictiveness expressed in johniam's post ("Maybe someday if your mom gets ill and calls on you for help you could say, 'sorry, I give my time and money to ______ as a gift, I can't help you.' Just a thought."). If that makes me insensitive, so be it. I mean it when I say that I'm sorry for what you lost. It sounds like your mother lost a lot, too, including her son. You asked for opinions. Mine is that it wouldn't be worth it if you have to drag your mother into a legal proceeding, considering what you've already said about your fragile relationship. But if you think legal action will somehow put your heart at rest, then that is yours to pursue.

dmiller: What's wrong with McDonald's?