GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

My very own duplicate vinyl copy of America Awakes!!!!! Hey, this is exciting! I gotta go check the needle on my record player. If I can find my record player.

It sounds like you fared much better than my husband. At least your lessons were voluntary. To hear him tell it, he lived a veritable double life during those days, his accordion tucked shamefully away lest his friends find him out, yet practicing faithfully for years in hopes that his instructor would pronounce him suitable for the guitar. His parents tell another story. From what they say, he was so talented on the accordion that they all thought he?d lost interest in the guitar, and no one ever mentioned it again. He never found redemption. He still strums his guitar occasionally, but I've never seen him go near a squeeze box, or heard him play.

Hey, what are those albums going for these days on E-Bay? I'm thinking of the possibilities. My husband and I are overdue for a cruise through the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (maybe this time our timing will be better and we can avoid the traffic -- and the Indians fans -- is that still the name of the team, or am I confusing them with another team?). Then we can take you out to dinner and you two can reminisce about accordions, Lawrence Welk, gutting chickens, and such. Okay, forget the dinner. I'm already losing my appetite. How 'bout coffee? Or we'll find a Mike's Lemonade stand. How much is that album worth? Oh the possibilities!

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hay'yall. Been offline for a day or two. Really enjoy reading up on the latest on this thread!

CK, we preached "one God or the other" for years in the Way when it came to success. In the long run, it's a slippery slope trying to decide on the surface who's really successful and who isn't. (Look at the Way - a few short years ago they thought they were at the top of their game and today, they're like an album clipped for the bargain bin, with all other one hit wonders. Even now they no doubt yearn for a "comeback" release and subsequent world tour!)

The inherent problem with that kind of evaluation is setting the bar for success for being "at the top" of a field, etc. How do you do that?

Oftentimes it's the flavor of the month or the year that seems like it's a "success". Good Lord, I've heard everyone from Huey Lewis to The Doobie Brothers being hyped as "seed boys", or being sold out to the devil because they're selling lots of units. Like a gold record means the devil's behind you. It's trite - it makes mass popularity the standard for achievement, godly or devilish. Typically, in the Way you'll hear whoever's being lionized by the media as the newest fad as the one being promoted by the devil. It makes the news media the standard setter.

Material abundance isn't the standard, benchmark, or primary indicator of spiritual achievement. Just because someone pulls their pants down and farts in a mic and everyone wants to hear them do it so they spend money on their concerts and cd's hardly means they've tapped in to the Devil's Pantry and are being promoted by Beelzebub himself, nor does it mean they're possessed or born again of some wrong seed. It just means there'll always be a market for audio flatulance. And some people like fart jokes.

But it makes sense, in a way, that the Way marks popularity in the marketplace as a spiritual indicator because they love money and what it can do for their objectives. I can see why they look jealously at anyone else who gets any of it, because I'm sure they think they'd be better off having it.

You've got a song in your heart. The world will be a better place for it being sung regardless of whether one person or a million hear it. THAT you sing it is what's significant, first and foremost I believe.

No matter where you go, you'll never meet another "you". You're the only one of You we get - before you none like you, after you - no more the same, ever again. You are a one time deal. You're precious and for that reason alone it's a wonder to be on the planet with you at the same time.

Know what I mean?

-------------------------

Is the time/space meter needle supposed to be jumping around like that? *tap-tap*...sqwrkltpzfttt@#$%^&!!!!!!.....

Well I see the contest is over, I will say it again yall sure were fun to watch.

laleo,

Have I said hello to you on this thread yet? You may have posted already but if not hi and thanks for posting. I could give you many excuses about that book we talked about but.....oh well.

Ted,

You have already given me great fun in regards to song writing. I'm gonna tell any who reads right now what you have offered me.

Yall, he is already putting to music songs I have written, lade lade da......that's not the song, mind ya. That is just my excitement over the whole thing. And Ted I appreciate you waiting on me to talk about this, your post just opened up my opportunity to tell folks. Thanks for that. And you can be sure it ain't gonna be rap. But nah, I ain't no Patsy Cline. I am sure I will probably only gain personal joy from it, but Sir you have given me more than you could know in this offer of yours. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Also I know it would be getting into some things maybe best left alone but would you please tell us about the beginning of Way Prods and what it was intended to be. I sure would love to hear it from the horses mouth, versus the half truths I have heard.

socks,

I will read you and post in a sec, I was in mid post and left my computer, sorry I missed your post.

Kathy

socks,

I am speechless, your words are so kind and tender towards me. All the years we missed now a faint memory, to have your friendship back is worth gold to me, worth gold. Gosh how I missed you.

And your insight regarding one God or the other is an eye-opener for me. I think I need to read that post a couple times.

Kathy

I won $5.00! That's right! I had three big matching numbers and won $5.00! So now I don't feel like a total loser for not winning Linda's contest. Still can't imagine making a 9 year old girl play a big ol' accordian (grumble grumble).

Thanks for the banjo jokes, Ron - they're great - I've been through about half of them, and there are 271 it says...

Hey Ala, won anything lately? I have.

...didn't happen. I chose to play one because my best friend was taking lessons. So any sympathy for me should be for my poor choice of an instrument.

As for the stinkin' lottery: On a recent Mega Millions drawing, I had 5 of 6 numbers and only won $7. Why only $7, you might ask? I'll tell ya why. Because two of the numbers were in the wrong places (the "gold" ball and a regular number were switched). Had those two misplaced numbers been reversed, I think I'd have won $150,000.

Details, details.

Linda Z

ohbehave,

Thanks.

Fun is a good mental help aid, when I first started posting I was unsure of myself everytime I clicked on that Post Now button. I would cringe inside, unsure if I should have said what I did.

Then I became more comfortable with my posting, even the ones I now regret still had their profit for my life, and maybe for someone elses as well.

Fun is something I was born with, but I allowed twi to take it away from me for many years. Oh sure I would laugh and some things were sudo fun but the inner fun was hindered. Today after six short months out of 'twi prison' fun has returned to my life. And there have been many times I retreated to fun via post because the pain was too great. But even this aided in my healing process.

So fun, yea that can be a nifty life tool for us. I thank our God every day he gave me a healthy helping at birth and I also thank Him every day that he gave me yall.

Kathy

gotta close up my desk and hit the road

I.m sure alot of other people did too,but this topic got too long in a hurry,and Ive just kinda scanned it. I like reading Ted's the beat goes on....Anyway,I remember hearing that all the time,If you're gonna make it to the top, you've got to sell out to one God or the other...I wondered why only so called devilish people were the only ones who achieved successful musical careers.....It's too bad many of the way's talented musicians had to confine their words and music writing to watered down way promotions,class testimonials,and ads for Bible reading,instead of the music coming from their soul....It's nice to see people having a soul life again.....

Ted will be back, and thank you for hanging in here, I know I have made it pretty lengthly all by myself. I will try to hold back some in my posting.

But he will be back soon. And I am still so thankful for how both Ted and Socks have shared so much here, they hold so much history of music, and so much in direct regards to twi.

Hi everybody ready to post a couple Of things today. Kathy just ain't gonna' let me retire from her thread ha! ha!

Truth of the matter is I do enjoy my time spent with all of you here on gs.

During the sevsnties a lot od us got involved with twi in what I call the growing years.It was the young from all walks of life who came by the hundreds and then by the thousands that put twi "on the map" Had that not happened twi may have stayed a little country church in the middle of nowhere and have only at best a few adult's and their children as follower's

When we came into the fold ( so to spesk) we brought with us the seventies music culture that would have a major impact on twi future produced miusic or as Loggins and Messina put it in their 1972 hit Your Mamma Don't Dance And Your Daddy Don't Rock And Roll

In my next post we will cover the first few years of the seventies and recall some oldies but goodies that have withstood the test of time.As the Beat Goes On.

Love To All

Ted F.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 17, 2002 at 8:58.]

Zixar, No one even comes close to my number. I am honestly tying of late to pull back some. But what you are saying to me in your words are most kind, thank you for that.

Ted, Thanks for coming back, they want to see your words the most, and Socks can add unto that in ways no one else can.

All others, Please keep posting, I love to read each one of you, no one is less here, you all add spice like only you can. I just feel I need to pull back some. But I am here, reading every last drop of sugar and spice.

http://www.cht.qc.ca/cht/dmpart111.htm

(edited to add this link, cool stuff about 70's music)

My love to your each,

Kathy

[This message was edited by ChattyKathy on December 17, 2002 at 14:31.]

The seventies decade had a bunch of great songs and some brand new artists that we heard for the first time. Most of what I will cover about those years will be the top hits of the day and I will leave it up to the rest of you to add your favorites from the seventies.

1971.Dawn told us to Knock Three Times as Janis Joplin was out cruseing with Bobby McGee. Three Dog Night sang Joy To The World and The Rolling Stones asked for more Brown Sugar. I bought an album that year of Carole Kings and loved her songs including It's Too Late and James Taylor sang one of her songs that hit the charts You've Got A Friend .Rod Stewart's Maggie May was an item in 71 or was it Just Ny Imagination that the Temptations warned me about.

1871 Theme from Shaft by Issac Hayes got our attenion and Sly and The Family Affair had a Family Affair Cher in the meantime was out running around with Gypsy's Trmaps And Theives and Melanie found her Brand New Key and I heard and bought Elton Joh's first album Madman Across The Water still have and love that album

So that takes care of 71 got any additions folks?

Since we are in the year of 1971 Next post I may tell you about the 1971 begining's and the early years of Way Prod Have not decided If I should go there or not

Love Ya!

Ted F.

[This message was edited by TED Ferrell on December 17, 2002 at 10:26.]

I just heard this Barry Manilow story today!

A friend of mine was in New York and was invited to go to the tree lighting in Rockefeller Center by a friend of hers who is in the TV industry.

She and her friend were ushered to the dressing room of "Saturday Night Live" to wait for the big event.

She said all these famous TV folks were there, and so was Barry Manilow. He had just performed and was headed back to his dressing room when she saw him.

She said to her friend "he looks awful". Her friend told her that the food in the SNL dressing room was sparse because good ol' Barry had it all moved to HIS dressing room, leaving slim pickin's behind for all the other guests.

Her friend also told her he doesn't "mingle" with the regular folk...

Sheesh - what a snob!

Hope R. color>size>face>

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Now you are into my era. the 70's. I grad. high school 1974, took piffle 1975, went WOW 76-76, then again 77-78. I missed some of the music since we werent supposed to be "natural man".

But what about Marshall Tucker Band, Bad Company, Jethro Tull, Eagles, Rod Stewart (Ted already mentioned him), my mind is going blank!!!!!

I would love to know the story of Way Prod. also Ted. By the way, Jason D. Williams, Bill Haney, T.G. Shepard, and Ronnie McDowell performed at George Klein's charity benefit at Elvis Presley's Memphis restaurant Sunday nite....it was great.

I had my pic taken with wild man, Jason D. Williams.

Keep this thread going folks. It is great.