GreaseSpot Cafe

statin drugs/Lipitor

Watered Garden

WG: What do you think? icon_wink.gif;)--> The colon is a remarkably resilient organ that is highly resistant to injury in normal use. While cleaning it out chemically might make sense if it was going to be operated upon, interfering with its operation with any substance is not something you do lightly. Most "toxins" are eliminated in one of two ways, your kidneys or your liver. Keep both of them healthy, and your colon will be healthy, too. Cleaning the colon won't help if you have liver problems.

Check with a good gastroenterologist. He'll tell you what the best way to care for your colon is. (Eat lots of fiber, drink lots of water.)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watered Garden -I hope you get better.

I wss thinking of taking a natural cloesterol reducer.

Does anyone know if either of these is likely to be safe?

http://www.menshealthtech.com/cholesterol_care.htm

http://www.bodyalivehealth.com/products/ch...ol_solution.htm

Also a note on "Grinders". In Conneticut and Massachssets where I used to live, a Sub was a cold sandwich like a rost beef or ham and cheese sub. A grinder was the same sandwich but they would bake it in a pizza oven for about 5 minutes.

Oldy-

“Have you had a colonoscopy?

It is recommended for all folks over 50, and doesn't hurt for anyone to get one in their 40's if they wish.”

No.

May I ask who WANTS to have a colonoscopy?

They used to say that they recommend one at five-year intervals starting at age 40. When I turned 40, I saw this on a wall of the doctor’s office. I asked if he was going to schedule me for one of ‘those’, he said that recent thought had changed and they were shifting the recommendation back to 50. I think that when I turn 50, they will likely shift it again, back to 55.

I have had many esphogy***** (the thing where you swallow a garden hose with a video camera on the end of it) in the military most OB/GYNs have one so they can look into deep dark places. I have one annually to monitor my ulcer.

Did you say that you WANTED to poked where?

Ckeer-

“Also a note on "Grinders". In Connecticut and Massachusetts where I used to live, a Sub was a cold sandwich like a rost beef or ham and cheese sub. A grinder was the same sandwich but they would bake it in a pizza oven for about 5 minutes.”

Excuse me.

“There are only two things on the ocean; Subs and targets” So says my T-shirt.

Here I thought a sub was a cool place to live and work. Dry environment (unless you work with reactors) steady temperatures (70degrees +/- 2) the freshest water (we make it ourselves you can get water any fresher) clean air (we make this too) a chance to get away from our wives and free ourselves from their pheromones.

Galen- Sorry I meant Submarine sandwiches, if you were in Groton, you remember grinders. If I remember there was a great restaurant that was Greek and near the base and had the best pizza and grinders. My dad went to sub school in late '52. I was a toddler. He was on diesel boats for a while. (I remember the smell- I loved it because t was where my father worked) He was a naval architect and EDO with dolphins. He retired in the 60's and worked at Electric Boat. I went to junior high and high school there.

quote:
Originally posted by ckeer:

Galen- Sorry I meant Submarine sandwiches, if you were in Groton, you remember grinders. If I remember there was a great restaurant that was Greek and near the base and had the best pizza and grinders. My dad went to sub school in late '52. I was a toddler. He was on diesel boats for a while. (I remember the smell- I loved it because t was where my father worked) He was a naval architect and EDO with dolphins. He retired in the 60's and worked at Electric Boat. I went to junior high and high school there.

Great Oak Pizza, yes.

My wife currently works on Groton Subase at the Commissary. We live in Norwich just up Rt12.

If I eat enough grinders, will it help my cholesterol?????? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Seriously, I'm not too worried about the cholesterol. It's the damn peeling skin and itch that are bothering me. Going to Dr. this afternoon.

Oh, yeah, in Italy they call colonoscopy the Great Lakes exam. It's uppa US.

Never had either. Healthy as a horse when I'm not scratching. But thanks for the thought, Oldies. You could have one and tell us about it. Then we'd know!

I have seriously avoided all that crap.

WG

WG

WG, If you like nuts I saw this in the local paper. It's a syndicated column called "The People's Pharmacy" by Joe and Teresa Graedon.

quote:
Almonds are rich in monounsaturated fat like that found in olive oil. They are also a good source for their fiber, vitamin E and protein. 23 almonds a day has been found in studies to help lower bad LDL cholesterol by about 4 percent.

Walnuts contain healthful fat as well, pirmarily omega-3 polyunsaturated fat. The Food and Drug Administration now allows walnut packaging to carry a health claim based on research showing that 1.5 ounces of walnuts daily (about 1/3 cup) can help lower LDL cholesterol. The diet has to be low in colesterol and saturated fat.

Almonds also contain cyanogenic glycosides such as amygdalin. (As do apple, cherry, apricot, and peach seeds/pits.) Upon digestion, these glycosides release hydrogen cyanide gas...

Dont'cha just hate chemistry sometimes? icon_wink.gif;)-->

quote:
Oh the things I have done for the good of the Navy.”

And I am here to SALUTE such a dedicated patriot! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

You lost me when you started speaking of 8 MM's, 1 IC, 3 EM's, 3 ET's, but heyyyyyy !!

Nickel beer (I use the term loosely if it was "Bud" night) icon_eek.gificon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

and $1.00 steak dinner I can understand! icon_smile.gif:)-->

May you continue to do "good deeds" for the Navy"!

Dear WG, My hubby was on lipitor for awhile and had almost the same side effects as you due, but no rash thank God. But he had the rest of them and more. so his Doc took him of lipitor and put him on Norvasc and he has had no side effects whatsoever and it works. I am also on Norvasc but not for high blood pressure or high cholesteral, I'm on it for my heart because I had a heart attack about 5 years ago and it turned out that I have what they call a thready artery and not enough blood was getting to my heart so the Norvasc is to open the artery a bit and I take aspirin to thin my blood and so far I've had no problems with my heart ever since. I would ask your Doc about Norvasc.

As always you and all us greasers are in my prayers. LOVE, DOVEY

A trip to the doctor:

I like my family practitioner a lot. His first comment on seeing the peeling rash and dry skin on my arms was "EEEEWWWWWW!"

He thinks it is from the Lipitor. He prescribed me a steroid cream, as diabetics shouldn't take oral steroids unless absolutely necessary. It helps a lot. He also sent me for a check of my liver and and for muscle wasting, so got blood drawn yesterday too. LFT and CPK the tests are called.

At home, we started the South Beach diet and it may well help the LDL problem, along with the other helpful tips y'all have given me. The doc is thinking about something like Norvasc, Dove, I have a PE scheduled in October, so we'll see.

Thanks, y'all.

Love,

WG

I'm told very few people have a problem with Lipitor. I gave the rest of my bottle to a friend who has taken it for years.

At the same time, I've been told several times that Cholesterol levels are largely genetic. See Goey's post.

I've been told to lose weight and am working on that. Get more exercise - joined Curves (and recommend it highly). So we'll see. I'll get another blood panel done in August. Right now, I'm kind of inclined to take my chances. Without any meds of the statin family.

WG

I had a small stroke 9 years ago and have been on Zocor ever since. After triual and error with diet and other things...that seems to be the only way to keep my lipid profile in check.

We ignore the cards we were dealt by heredity too often. All my relatives have died of strokes so I figure that's the Joker I was dealt and at the moment I'm glad for the zocor and I take it...no side effects.

Context - context - context....learn everything you can but base your decisions on your own personal self and your dr's suggestions.

Disclaimer...I am not a Dr. but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.

dmiller:

quote:
Oh the things I have done for the good of the Navy.”

"And I am here to SALUTE such a dedicated patriot! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->"

It is often a tough job, but sone has to do it.

Without the meds and diet (though currently the docs say that diet has no effect on my levels), my cholesterol was 400+ (their machine was not capable of reading an exact number only that it was above 400.). With meds they maintain me currently at 200-220.

My grandparents ate a breakfast of: 6 fried eggs cooked in fresh drippings, Butter milk biscuits,

a glass of tangy fresh buttermilk, with butter and homemade breakfast jam (they made 2 different kinds of jams one regular one for frineds and one extra sweet for breakfast), apple-pie with lard crust / or canned peaches or pears in heavy syrup, coffee.

lunch was: hot soup (served hot, because if it cooled it became a soild from the lard that was added in give flavour), beef (a roast, or casserole, or steaks), mashed potatoes with lots of heavy gravy, a vegetable covered with butter or melted cheese, buttermilk biscuits with jam (this was the less-sweet jam), fruit in heavy syrup.

Dinner (during 'good' years) was usually chicken (if fried then left-overs are good the next day to take out into the fields for lunch), mashed potatoes, vegetables. On 'bad' years dinner would shift to stews with thicker layers of lard, or fish.

One grand father was a diabetic so he died early, maybe 85. The other 3 each died in their 90's. One grandmother continued milking cows and running a dairy until she turned 90. They were all very active, got up before sun-rise and worked. When they stopped working, we could pretty much graph their decline.

I am fairly sure that they all had high cholesterol, and they all consumed eggs, pork, beef, cream, cheese, butter and lard, every day and in large amounts. None of them died from anything diagnosable. They each stopped working, refued to eat, and slowly degraded into frailty, until their hearts stopped in their sleep.

Man walking on the moon, and the computer age had far more to do with their demise than cholesterol did. Born in the first decade of the century; farmed with horse-drawn plows; taught and raised children in one-room school-houses; lost their homes in the dust-bowl and lived in model-Ts, their children were migrant field-hands when they got married off, climbing took a long time. I remember as a child, during Apollo, they each refused to beleive. When I was on my first sub, they had no basis from which to understand where I lived and worked.

I think that 'future-shock' is a far more deadly condition than cholesterol.

WG--

itchy skin...

AHAVA - DERMUD

best stuff in the world...hubby ails from horrible dryness -- uses this religiously now...

I know all about the vit E and ground flax and all that junk---all good junk---but for releif this stuff is great. When I am in the pool all summer long, this is the only soothing stuff that really helps my chlorinated skin---I dont take showers the split second I am out of the pool.

I get it local and use a dealer in Isreal where it's made. The Isreali guy will get specials now and then and then I stock up.

This is the famous stuff made from the dead sea mud. If you get it ---get the DERMUD body cream--its better than the hand cream. Also it is so thick that when you think its empty, cut the flat seam off and you will find lots more...I uuse a binder clip to close it, once I have done that. It is not cheap, but then again, you get what you pay for.

I actually got some stuff called Eucerin that may be akin to Crisco or lard, but is applied externally and helps a lot. I don't normally have extremely dry skin when I'm not taking the drugs.

Don't know what the next move will be.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and comfort and support! Where would I be without GSC? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

WG

I know of Eucerin...good stuff, but it always stung my childrens skin.

Another one I use is called Eutra....hard to find tho', they have an 1-800-63EUTRA number. It is imported from Switzerland....and this never stung my kids' skin.

Living in New Mexico and having a family with allergies (meaning the occaisional excema pops up) we are serious about our dry skin. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

WW.

Eucrin makes several products for several differnt skin problems, some have a sun factor that will rip my skin apart . others have a ingredient that will help descale your scale , not what some may need for their dry skin.

It has a "sensitive skin" line that says sensitive skin on the label that does not have any other chemicals to annoy irrated skin .

It does look like crisco but after a while you skin may feel better it helps me I use it on my face and Im outside for ten to twelve hours a day .

it is expensive but worth it because once you get all under control then just use it once a day or so and it will keep your skin in balance. this is what my childrens dr. prescribed for excema when they were infants . also do not bath alot or have alot of water on your skin it does actualy dry the skin worse when the air hits the wet skin it pulls any water you may have in your skin as well so dry quick and put on eucrin immedietly to help keep the moisture inside.