GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Sudo, your clip is the same as Kathy's. I thoght it was the main theme from NBC's Mystery Movie of the Week, but it appears I'm mistaken. It might be the Banacek theme, but I can't find it anywhere to compare. It's not McMillan and Wife.

George

Oh, I still watch several hours of TV a week, though it's almost all hour-long dramas now, instead of all teh sitcoms I used to watch. I watch sci-fi like "Surface"; super-hero stuff like "Smallville"; and a couple of cop dramas: "NCIS" and "Monk." The only half-hour shows I watch are Justice League and Batman cartoons.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kathy,

Nope.. my bad. We obviously got our tunes from different sources but I should have recognized yours. But just lookie.. only George knew! It's what we've been discussing. It is in deed the mystery movies theme song. I was just waiting to see if anyone else recognized it.

Now I'm going back even farther. 1962 to be exact. I'm 10 years old and go to Rainbow skating rink on Saturdays. Its the skating rink where my parents met back in 1946 ( they married in 1948 and still going strong, thank you very much) and it hadn't changed one bit. They still have a Hammond organ that plays the latest hits from 1955 and even though its just kids skating, they still have "ladies only" and "couples only" skating sessions. All the while the Hammond organ pumps out tunes like "Tammy's In Love".

But I like to hang out in the concession area. Not only because they pop fresh popcorn that you can smell throughout the entire Rainbow skating rink (gawd it was good) but because that was where the girls hung out and listened to the juke box. Songs were ten cents a piece. Three for a quarter. As I type this, I'm remembering and its coming back to me. All those girls I had crushes on were wearing dresses. With white socks. They were so sophisticated and I loved them so though they were older than I was. I had a crush on one particular girl who was about the oldest... she was probably 14. Nearly grown. And the song they were playing over an over on the juke box?? Well.. click Here! The singer was only 8 years older than me. Anyone remember her from a TV series???

sudo

The girl singing was on the Donna Reed show. She left the show before it was over and went on to appear in Elvis movies, teen movies, and much later on-'Coach'. When she was a teen, I thought she and Elinor Donahue must have gone to the same school for snobby girls.

I didn't think it necessary to name the Mystery Movie theme, since I had already referred to it before it was posted.

Sometimes one needs to get things straight around here 'for the record'.

I don't suppose her mother's name would be Nanette, would it?

As far as the Mystery Movie theme, I'll take a stab with McCloud (since Dennis Weaver has gone to that big dude ranch in the sky, AND it not being necessary :biglaugh: )

Edited by Sushi

Sudo,

I also had a roller rink in my growing up. We had our Friday night special dance time where there were flashing colored lights and what seemed at the time like wild music (haha) and we danced/skated. It was great fun. Although some kid accidentally tripped me and I busted my head open above the right brow. That rather ruined that particular evening.

Looks like the singer has been identified, or at least I was thinking of the same person.

I had a link I tried to post the other night which I will next time I'm working from my PC which comes from this same time frame I think and it's a really cool song IMHO.

I know I'm a little behind here, but I want to say thanks for the "welcome backs!!" :)

Here's a real sweet one for your listening and viewing pleasure, a real kick off your shoes and lay back and close your eyes and relax for a moment kind of song, it's got some great mind pictures to it........

HERE

39116123.SwimmingHoleWallandTN2000email.jpg

fishingonbathcreek_4804.jpg

Edited by Cowgirl

Kathy,

Those versions BOTH sound so cleaned up. I listened to that song on AM radio through a 3" speaker. I had to stop and think if that was the original song or a re-make. So that's the original, huh?

Cowgirl... does anyone else up your way listen to songs about the South? And Country and Western radio stations there?

Here's another TV theme we haven't done in a while. It was one of the longest running sitcoms made and though the father in the series has passed on, the mom is still alive and doing quite well it appears. Click HERE!

sudo

I do believe the Strange one is correct. Who would have a jazz version of "Danny Boy" except Danny Thomas? I didn't realize that the show was on for 12 years, probably because I wasn't alive for three of them and probably only watched three years of TV before it was cancelled.

George

Oh, and nice song, Cowgirl!

Here's a real sweet one for your listening and viewing pleasure, a real kick off your shoes and lay back and close your eyes and relax for a moment kind of song, it's got some great mind pictures to it........

Roll Tide! :dance: I've always like this song.

Edited by moony3424

Doctor Sudo... you got me thinking (as I was wandering aimlessly down the aisles of the local Albertson's)...

I can think of Danny Thomas, Rusty Hamer and Angela Cartwright (sp) but for the life of me can't remember the Mom's name... and now that I think of it, was there an older sister to Angela?

...carry on

Tom,

Yes, there was an older sister. And another wife, too!!! Here's the IMDB file, click HERE! I thought Angela Cartwright was the prettiest girl I had ever seen. Rusty Hamer comitted suicide and I had just seen him interviewed on TV not long before. It was a show on what had happened to former child actors. He still looked pretty much like he did as a child. Unlike Jerry Mathers.

I wonder how they explained the second wife???

sudo

Cowgirl,

Does he remind you of Billy Dean mixed in with Randy Owen? Nice song. Thanks for bringing it here.

Sudo,

I must have watched it because the music is the kind of familiar that you can remember other things in the house you heard it in.

Here's a pic that I linked to my account on Rick's server as I'm trying to not cost the owner space or time or whatever you call it.

dannyt.jpg

Which wife was this one?

Tom,

It's very nice to see you here. You tend to bring a lightness with ya and that's a good thing.

I wonder how they explained the second wife???

<center>sudo</center>

Can you say "Darrin Stevens"? Or for that matter, half the cast of "Petticoat Junction," etc. Cast changes were not that uncommon in the "old days." Since TV requires suspension of disbelief, anyway, how hard is it to believe the new actor or actress is the same character?

George

This is from the television series of which I didn't watch but the movie that preceded it with different actors is one of my favorite movies of all time. And I've mentioned it here before so this may be real easy.

For something that supposed to be "real easy", you sure stumped me! Maybe I need more coffee.