The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not only did I watch the MMC , (loved 'Spin and Marty), I walk by a display case at work everyday that has Cubby's 'western' outfit from Talent round up Friday. The case also has a bass drum with the MMC logo painted on it, and various artifacts from the show.

When I have more time , I have more to say if anyone is interested. I pass the soundsatge where it was filmed, and I've been to events, where some of those geriatric Mouseketeers have come back for some ceremony.

There are some sad stories among the Mouseketeers. A couple of years ago there was a 'Disney Legends' event at the studio, and they had a 'meet and greet' on a patio right outside my window. It was sad to see Annette get wheeled in. She contracted MS in the late 80's and has been going downhill ever since. With it all, she still looked lovely, and had an amazing attitude, tho she's pretty much confined to a wheelchair.

Karen (of Cubby and Karen) is also wheel chair bound, though I'm not sure why.

Right around that time, Darlene Gillespie was arrested for shoplifting,and has crossed paths with the police in Burbank a few times.

Tommy Kirk, (of 'the hardy Boys', and a million Disney films, was forced out of the studio in his late teens, when it was discovered he was gay. That seems almost funny when you consider the number of gay people there now.

On the other hand , thankfully, it was cool to see Cubby, who is a professional drummer , no surprise. Bobby Burgess still looks like he could do those wacky dances. He was on the lawrence Welk show of all things as a dancer for over 20 years, and looks 20 years younger.

I spent a lot of time with these folks when I was a kid, and it was something to see them now.

Even greater was seeing Dick Van Dyke, and Kurt Russell swapping stories. All these people from so long ago.

Kathy,

Great nostalgia topic! Hiway29.. You surely have a seat at a great window I would love to look out of sometime. Yeah.. I had a big crush on Annette but looking at her picture now, I don't remember why. Here's ANOTHER girl I had a crush on too but looking back I can understand WHY I had a crush on her!

aeh.jpg

sudo

ah , Darla Hood, from 'Our Gang'.

In 'real life' she was somewhat afraid of Alfalfa, but thought Spanky was great.

She died way too young. I forget the disease but she was in her 40's, 50 at best.

I thought Annette got better looking as she aged. I think it was more her loveliness as a person that somehow emitted tyhrough the screen. I was a Doreen and Cheryl fan myself.

I loved that window, Sudo. Unfortunately, the bean counters at the studio decided we were better off in a warehouse off the studio lot, next to where 'Imagineering' is located. Now my window consists of grey walls, outside a grey cubicle.

I still go over to the lot for lunch and meetings though.

I have never heard of Denny Dillon being a Mouseketeer. but--

The Mouseketeers were 'color coded', according to their status and function. I forget what color meant what, but the 'star' troop, Annette, Cubby, etc, were 'red', but they would also use lesser known Mouseketeers on a given day, which were 'blue'.

Then there were the Mouseketeers that showed up to open shopping centers and such. These were 'white' mouseketeers. Kids you rarely if ever saw on tv, but looked good in the mouse ears, and t shirt. It's possible Denny fell into that category, but who knows.

On the other hand, Don Grady from 'My 3 Sons', and Paul Peterson from 'Donna Reed' WERE Mouseketeers.

I agree with Hiway. I and my frat brothers would watch it on Saturday mornings. As well as the "usual" crew, there were also a cat-person whosed name escapes me and Lt. Eryx, a more "alien" crew member. As I recall, the cartoon showcased the first "holodeck," which became a staple of later Trek shows.

kirk.jpg

George

oouch-that picture reminds me how bad that cartoon could be

it really was done on the cheap, but it did have many of the original crews voices, and some writers from the original series

my biggest problem was that it was played SO deadpan-there were few light moments and everyone seemed to be just reading off the script-I'm pretty certain they weren't even in the room at the same time, though that's not uncommon

by the way-the cel of Kirk pictured doesn't match the background, so it was meant for another scene

Thanks for that link, Kathy! Those live performances are priceless. I had forgotten how wonderful the version of "All My Lifes a Circle" was.

In the "Tribute to Harry Chapin" that PBS aired in 1987, Richie Havens performed W.O.L.D, and it was a stunning, hauntingly beautiful performance. Wish I had a way to let you listen to it.

Hard to believe it's been 25 years since we lost Harry, but his wonderful words and music live on.

Thanks for the memories.

Yes, he was. Harry thought of this song while waiting for his wife to pick him up one night at the train station. He had a wonderful knack of taking little things that happened in his life and turning them into unforgettable music.

Mail Order Annie

At first I did not think it could be you.

But you're the only one that got off the train.

So you must be my wife Miss Annie Halsey

Yes, I guess I am your husband, Hello I'm Harry Crane.

Mail Order Annie, never mind your crying.

Your tears are sweet rain in my empty life.

Mail Order Annie, can't you see I'm trying

To tell you that I'm glad you're here,

You are the woman who's come to be my wife.

You know you're not as pretty as I dreamed you'd be,

But then I'm not no handsome fancy Dan.

And out here looks are really not important.

It's what's inside a woman when she's up against the land.

You know it's not no easy life you're entering.

The winter wind comes whistling through the cracks there in the sod.

You know you'll never have too many neighbors.

There's you Girl, and there's me, and there's God.

You know I'm just a dirty man from the North Dakota plains.

You're one girl from the city who's been thrown out on her own.

I'm standing here not sure of what to say to you

'Cepting Mail Order Annie, lets you and me go home.