The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, OK. I know OF the show, but don't watch it.

I would know mostly stuff like Sudo posts cause when I watch TV, I usually watch TV Land, or whatever they call the station that shows all the old shows. But more often than not, I will watch Discovery or History Channel. I used to really like A&E but they kind of suck anymore.

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

I got this tune in my e-mail this morning :)

Its George St.George playing tenor sax in his jazz band. The name of the piece is Bugle Call Rag. Its our George playing the tenor sax solo but a recent high school graduate that's tearing it up on the clarinet. I used to be able to play the French Horn but there aren't too many of them in jazz bands. Click HERE!

sudo

Thanks, Sudo!

A bit of explanation. This isn't the Traditional Jazz Band with which I usually performm but a Summer Jazz Band made up of college and community people, much like the concert band I play in. We rehearsed twice a week for a month before putting on the concert, which went quite well, I think. This particular song was a Benny Goodman piece. Most of us got to improvise our solos, but the young man playing clarinet had to play Benny's solo!

If anyone is interested, I have a couple of other tracks from the concert. My favorite (and not just because it also features a tenor solo), is "Celtic Aire," a jazz jig!

George

Kathy,

Why, I thought everybody loved big band music. You want to know why? Because *I* love big band music. Don't we all think everyone ought to love what *WE* love not only in music but everything else? If we love chopped liver we can't understand why everyone doesn't love the stuff too, no?

Here's one Ala Prochaine (is she still around?) posted a long time ago that really touched me. It's nostalgic not by how old the song is but about the people the song is about... folks younger than my grandparents but older than my parents. Lovers in about 1926... before the Great Depression and of course before World War II. I had aunts and uncles this age.

What hits me in this song is that those young people fell in love and "danced all night" just as our young people do today. They dreamed of their future with kids of their own just like young people do today. But now those young people from that era are gone but in this song we can still hear their hearts racing as they embrace each other and dance... click HERE!

sudo

Kathy, Why, I thought everybody loved big band music. You want to know why? Because *I* love big band music. Don't we all think everyone ought to love what *WE* love not only in music but everything else? If we love chopped liver we can't understand why everyone doesn't love the stuff too, no? Here's one Ala Prochaine (is she still around?) posted a long time ago that really touched me. It's nostalgic not by how old the song is but about the people the song is about... folks younger than my grandparents but older than my parents. Lovers in about 1926... before the Great Depression and of course before World War II. I had aunts and uncles this age. What hits me in this song is that those young people fell in love and "danced all night" just as our young people do today. They dreamed of their future with kids of their own just like young people do today. But now those young people from that era are gone but in this song we can still hear their hearts racing as they embrace each other and dance... click HERE!
sudo
I love chopped liver. :) But I don't know the singer and Ala has brought such a wonderful selection to the board I wouldn't know where to begin to guess. It's very lovely, very much so.And I do appreciate big band music, I just don't prefer it as my listening music, but I can hear quality and that was quality of StGeorge's without question. :eusa_clap:

The lady's name is Kate Rusby but I really wasn't looking for a name this time. If you play the tune in Windows Media Player, it shows the name anyways.. I didn't edit anything out. Naw.. I was just listening to some of my many music files yesterday and thought it might be something you guys would also like to hear. Think about it.. radio was high tech in 1926.

Do any of you guys remember tube testers that used to be in places like drug stores and hardware stores? You'd place a vacuum tube from your radio or TV set in one of the many slots and see if it was working or not.

sudo

Yes , we even have one (not the store type) same concept.

My husband likes the sound of tubes in amps and we collect those and old radios.

I'm mildly surprised about the vacuum tubes :)

The 20-somethings don't even know what a vacuum tube IS and if they ever saw one would have no idea what it was. My hygienist is 23 years old and has worked in the office a little over a year now. She's one of the best hygienists I've had... professional and very sharp. She also went to my alma mater, Ole Miss (who lost to Vanderbilt yesterday :() and goes to the football games in the Grove with her new husband.

My point is about this thread and nostalgia in general. To her, nostalgia is only 10 to 15 years ago where as to most of us it has to be 30 years or more, right? Here's an example... I remember Jim Nabors first on the Andy Griffith show and then in his own spin off show Gomer Pyle, USMC. I had seen him for years before I first heard him sing on one of the Gomer Pyle episodes. I thought it was a joke at first. But the guy could SING! So one day at the office the radio station (which plays a lot of oldies) played one of his songs. I turned to my young hygienist and asked her if she knew who that was singing. I knew she wouldn't know so when she answered 'no' I said, "That's Jim Nabors!". She looked at me with a blank face and asked who Jim Nabors was. I was a little bit surprised but I realized that Jim Nabors might not be a well known name for someone her age. I said, "That's the guy who played Gomer Pyle"! She looked me directly in the eye and said, "Who's Gomer Pyle?".

Oh well... So here's a theme from a TV miniseries that was made when my hygienist was like 2 years old. Its one of my all time favorite miniseries. Heck.. do they even still make miniseries on broadcast TV anymore? But it was so popular they made a sequel which was pretty bad. I guess one reason I like the theme is because of the screaming French horns. I used to be able to do that, George. Click HERE!

sudo