Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kathy,

I see that was from 1966 but I don't remember it. By that time, I was pretty picky which cartoons I'd watch. I was a big boy by then.. a whopping 14 years old! But I liked older stuff even then. We watched lots of stuff made in the 1940's like the Bowery Boys and Abbott and Costello movies. I get nostalgic watching them though I wasn't even born when they were made.

Here's an example... a radio show from 1942 with an all star cast. America was totally different, of course, back then but it strikes me how the entire nation was behind the war effort. Click HERE! and just listen to how even Hollywood was patriotic. And though we weren't around then, my parents remember this well.

sudo

Hiway29,

I understand folks have political differences but we've mangaged for 5 years now (hard to believe its been that long) to keep the Nostalgia thread free of those impure thoughts. Free from thinking differently from the way Mother Nature intended for the Nostalgia thread to be... and that is.. the way Bob Hope or Lucy Ricardo would have done it. And if anyone disagrees with that then all I can say is.. they are un-Nostalgic!! Probably need to be reported and all that.

Oh, Hiway29... I appreciate that you liked the radio show I posted but I want you to 'fess up, now. I posted this link on my own server so I have ways of checking these things as I'm an avowed computer nerd. You didn't listen to the whole thing now did you? Hmmm??? Don't make me post the logs!! :biglaugh:

sudo

I didn't listen to the whole thing then, Sudo, but have full intentions on doing so. I got enough of it to get the flavor and know I want to hear it all, when I have time.

I wasn't trying to stir up a political fight. YOU were the one saying back when EVEN Hollywood was patriotic, and my point is that rah rah support any war is not the only definition of patriotism.

I just listened to the whole show. The high points were Dinah Shore singing 'Blues in the Night', and Danny Kaye.

I have to admit I suspect that the requests from servicemen are probably not exactly kosher. They're worded a little too clever, and it's interesting that someone is needing to hear from Merle Oberon right when she's promoting her new film. I would surmise that they put together shows based on performer availability, and studio promotion, then packaged it in a 'command from 'Sgt JM somewhere in the Caribbean' format.

That's not to disparage the show or it's intent. They presented top notch entertainment to the armed forces and that's great, and the genuine birthday greeting to the Sgt was nice.

Hiway29,

Re:"I just listened to the whole show."

I kinda' thought you would. How we all pulled together during WWII. Here's more nostalgia from a singer we just heard. She's unabashedly patriotic (though this was done in the 50's.. WAY after WWII) and here's a hint... she's from the deep South. Click HERE!

sudo (who loves those Southern girls)

Kathy,

Why did you do an "embarrassed" face? Because you didn't know it was on radio or something? Hey! I found the radio version. The flautist is very good but then its a professional Hollywood musician performing, I'm sure. Click HERE! We are all too young to remember the radio version, of course, but my dad remembers it well.

sudo

I thought my link didn't play well and I don't listen to them at work so couldn't verify if something went south after I linked it. Or if Rick was in there messing around with my stuff in his server. :biglaugh:

So I can't listen to you either :P or is that obvious. ;)

You know that song about wanting to go home, dang I am singing that puppy loud and clear, shall the week every end! :blink:

The highlight of my day so far was an obscene message left on my voice mail. I swear I don't get why I get them all the time but I really don't mind. :biglaugh:

Sushi,

Re:"Does anyone else find it amusing that they used "The Flight Of The Bumblebee" for the theme song?"

Well, naw. I don't thankyouverymuch. So why don't you 'splain what you're talking about. You're always doing this to me, Sushi... talking over my head. Actually, I thought the song was quite appropriate. I'm sure you more intellectual types might know the correct word for this but to me its like onomatopoeia for songs... if that makes sense. I mean, that song SOUNDS like a dang bumblebee.... or if you prefer ... a hornet. I marvel every time I hear an accomplished musician play it!

sudo (so sure Sushi's about to make him look silly)

(so sure Sushi's about to make him look silly)

Well, you finally found me out, Sudo. It is my raison d'etre, to make you look silly. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

(Really, it's not my intent, it just happens)

I found it amusing solely because of the words involved. As in, "The Flight Of The BUMBLEBEE" being used as the theme for "The Green HORNET". Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by Sushi

Probably because there's no "Flight of the Hornet."

I don't know who played the radio version of the theme, but it was Al Hirt on trumpet for the TV show.

"Green Hornet" reruns can be seen on the Encore Action Channel occasionally. (It used to be every Friday and Saturday morning, but they don't show it so often now.)

George

Well, you finally found me out, Sudo. It is my raison d'etre, to make you look silly. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

(Really, it's not my intent, it just happens)

I found it amusing solely because of the words involved. As in, "The Flight Of The BUMBLEBEE" being used as the theme for "The Green HORNET". Nothing more, nothing less.

I had to look up raison d'etre to make sure I knew what it was.

Actually yours would be a clue had I not answered it like you were asking a question. I did that when I first came here, one would think I'd remember. :rolleyes:

Can I blame it on this very long month this week? :confused:

George,

Re:"I don't know who played the radio version of the theme, but it was Al Hirt on trumpet for the TV show."

Do tell? I'll tell you this, then.. he wasn't the trumpeter that Doc Severinsen is. Listen to the TV version Kathy posted HERE! with Doc Severinsen's version HERE! Al Hirt wasn't playing the whole thing!!!

Kathy.. yes, I watched that show but they must have changed the intro's words because I distinctly remember the lyrics saying ".. about two men in the strangest place". Say.. does everyone have 4th of July plans?? I'm taking Monday AND Tuesday off at the office. Don't have to go back until Thursday so I'll be pretty useless when I DO get back. :blink:

sudo