GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

20060613-Pc-A10-1000.jpgExcuse the interruption but a few of us would know him, memorial section not option I thought.

Farewell, Flippo

Bob Marvin will be remembered for his music, his wit and his role in the community.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Central Ohio mourns the passing of a consummate entertainer, a gifted jazzman and a sophisticated wit who found his true calling wearing white greasepaint and a red nose. Marvin Fishman, whose professional name was Bob Marvin but who was best known as Flippo the Clown, died Saturday at 79.

Flippo came into being in 1952 as part of the national craze of children’s clown shows. But Marvin’s real shtick and the source of his three decade staying power was a comic sensibility that cracked up college students and hipsters, yet delighted children and left their parents comfortable that the kids were being safely entertained.

The self-proclaimed King of the Clowns, for all his big, floppy collar and baggy suit trimmed with white pom-poms, wasn’t a circus-style clown. He employed just enough slapstick, including the occasional practical joke on a TV-studio crew member, to keep things lively. But he is most remembered for the mischievous wisecracks with which he peppered the breaks during films, shown weekday afternoons on The Early Show.

Flippo’s daily show was enough to provide thousands of people who grew up in central Ohio in the 1950s, ’60s and ’70s with memories of watching the show or, if they were industrious or lucky enough, actually appearing on it.

But his contributions to the community went beyond the movie show.

He first caught the attention of producers from WBNS-TV (Channel 10) while he was an Ohio State student, playing tenor saxophone in a band at the Neil House hotel. And he never lost his love of the instrument. He was a founding member of the OSU Jazz Forum and led his own band for 35 years.

His celebrity lent extra luster to countless community festivals and charity events.

His last public appearance, fittingly, was to be honored in January by the Ohio Historical Society for his place in local history and for having donated his Flippo costume, along with photographs, a makeup kit, a 1971 script and other memorabilia, to the society’s museum.

He’ll live on just as vividly in the fond memories of thousands of viewers around the country.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This one is really older than we are around here so I better give a good clue:

Blank was recruited to head the Secret Squadron, an aviation-oriented paramilitary organization fighting sabotage and espionage during the period prior to the United States' entry into World War II. The Secret Squadron acted both within and outside the United States.

Kathy, this is one that I know, but can't think of the name at the moment. I do know that I've seen episodes within the last year on video, but old age seems to creeping into the memory at the moment.

If it hits me, I'll let you know.

I will take a stab at Blackhawk-but I'm not swearing by it.

and just reading back as I've been gone a few days, I will admit to loving John Steinbeck's work.

I think that was a good guess :redface: but nope not that one.

Here is a little bit more about it and it actually includes the initials of what the Australians called this character which we adopted as well.

The first program to include audience participation through the use of the famous "Secret Decoder Ring" which allowed the after school TV viewer to decode J J secret orders.

And about that book we were talking about. I meant to rent that movie but ran out of time this weekend. :biglaugh: Okay I'm joking, I was going to look for the cliff notes on line. :biglaugh:

oh right Captain Midnight

It's hard to tell them apart Captain Video, Tom Corbett Space Cadet,Space Patrol,

Captain Midnight had the decoder ring-as did Little Orphan Annie of all people

of course it was all before our time-most of us are MUCH too young to have lived through it

What?

There was another Timmy before Timmy only his name wasn't Timmy? I don't remember but I remember THIS.. Lassie was one of those Sunday night shows. And at the end while the credits rolled.. Lassie was sitting there with his right paw raised. Good Nostalgia, Kathy! :eusa_clap:

sudo

The answer is...

Before Timmy, Lassie was owned by a boy named Jeff, played by Tommy Rettig. He lived in the same farmhouse, but had a different family -a widowed mother and 'Gramps'.

When he began to outgrow the role, Timmy and the family you're familiar with bought the farm, and Jeff gave Lassie to Timmy.

Tommy Rettig passed away a few years ago, but Jon provost (Timmy) is alive and kinda looks the same only much older.

What? There was another Timmy before Timmy only his name wasn't Timmy? I don't remember but I remember THIS.. Lassie was one of those Sunday night shows. And at the end while the credits rolled.. Lassie was sitting there with his right paw raised. Good Nostalgia, Kathy! :eusa_clap:
sudo
I don't know if I'll ever get to the point of doing movie clips like you do but hopefully I can keep finding other ways of bringing some of the old. :)
The answer is...Before Timmy, Lassie was owned by a boy named Jeff, played by Tommy Rettig. He lived in the same farmhouse, but had a different family -a widowed mother and 'Gramps'.When he began to outgrow the role, Timmy and the family you're familiar with bought the farm, and Jeff gave Lassie to Timmy.Tommy Rettig passed away a few years ago, but Jon provost (Timmy) is alive and kinda looks the same only much older.
That was what I read when I cheated, uh huh! :unsure:

Live and learn..

And all I knew was Timmy. I LOVE this thread!! Here's one a few of you may have seen but its a video so it may take a while for those of you with dial-up. Click HERE! Anyone know about this wanton killer? Or the movie?? It's not everyone's cup 'o tea.

sudo

Monty Python and the Holy Grail :)

Tim: There he is!

King Arthur: Where?

Tim: There!

King Arthur: What? Behind the rabbit?

Tim: It *is* the rabbit!

King Arthur: You silly sod!

Tim: What?

King Arthur: You got us all worked up!

Tim: Well, that's no ordinary rabbit.

King Arthur: Ohh.

Tim: That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!

Sir Robin: You tit! I soiled my armor I was so scared!

Tim: Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Sir Galahad: Get stuffed!

Tim: He'll do you up a treat, mate.

Sir Galahad: Oh, yeah?

Sir Robin: You manky Scots git!

Tim: I'm warning you!

Sir Robin: What's he do? Nibble your bum?

Tim: He's got huge, sharp... er... He can leap about. Look at the bones!

King Arthur: Go on, Bors. Chop his head off!

Sir Bors: Right! Silly little bleeder. One rabbit stew comin' right up!

Sudo, some of their stuff makes me hurt from laughing and some just flys way over my head. But it's just a flesh wound totally cracks me up. :biglaugh:

My personal favorite;

French Soldier: I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

I use the "I fart in your general direction" line often with my oldest son, who just looks at me like, "Huh?" Hubby and I often comment how the poor kid is going to be in therapy before much longer, living with us crazy people.