Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Geo,

Re:"Any song with "groovy" in the lyrics could only inhabit a very brief period in history. Say about 1966?"

So how about what I think is the most *famous* example? What year? Who did it? Click HERE! Anyone know?? Hey.. I just loved the song, too.

sudo

I was about 10 in the mid-60's. I started listening to music on the radio when the Beatles hit in '64. (I developed an affinity for 50's rock and roll much later.)

George

You like 50's rock and roll, any favorites or just the overall flavor of that period?

Any song with "groovy" in the lyrics could only inhabit a very brief period in history.

Say about 1966? About May or June, I'd bet, and by autumn I'm pretty sure we'd worn that word out...

Geo my friend, we must have grown up in different circles because that word was around more than that year dude.

I thought I had a song about Annette Funicello by this duo, turns out I was wrong. So, just because,

HERE!

There was some nice violin playing in that, I don't recognize it though.

Geo,

Re:"Any song with "groovy" in the lyrics could only inhabit a very brief period in history. Say about 1966?"

So how about what I think is the most *famous* example? What year? Who did it? Click HERE! Anyone know?? Hey.. I just loved the song, too.

sudo

I love that version, it must be one of the top songs when groovy is thought.

Paw only told half the story of our foray into NYC.

We had already been through at least a half-dozen or so New York songs - inspired by whatever neighborhood we were in. We went through Spanish Harlem, so naturally we all started singing "There is a rose in Spanish Harlem", then Plots made mention of the New York River Line and so Billy Joel's "New York state of mind" was heard from the backseat. Then various renditions of "On Broadway", "New York - New York" and probably a few others.

By this time Plots was getting a little flustered trying to find an address and politely told us to pipe down a minute. And then, completely oblivious to what he was inviting, he said "Now, where's the 59th Street Bridge?" We all cracked up and - in unison - immediately broke into a rendition of that.

Sudo,

Geo and I were in a car in NY and spontaneously burst into that song as the 59th street bridge was pointed out to us.

Paw only told half the story of our foray into NYC.

We had already been through at least a half-dozen or so New York songs - inspired by whatever neighborhood we were in. We went through Spanish Harlem, so naturally we all started singing "There is a rose in Spanish Harlem", then Plots made mention of the New York River Line and so Billy Joel's "New York state of mind" was heard from the backseat. Then various renditions of "On Broadway", "New York - New York" and probably a few others.

By this time Plots was getting a little flustered trying to find an address and politely told us to pipe down a minute. And then, completely oblivious to what he was inviting, he said "Now, where's the 59th Street Bridge?" We all cracked up and - in unison - immediately broke into a rendition of that.

The vision of you guys makes me smile. And then Plots having to tell y'all to pipe down just topped it off.

Thanks for taking us along. :)

And Sushi, :redface2: I still don't know who they are even after you told me. :unsure:

Good morning all !!

I woke up with this one on my brain, don't know what I was dreaming, but it must have been pretty good to have this going through my mind..............................a real oldie, my dad used to play it all the time! Song and title pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

HERE

well, it's "By the Light of the Silvery Moon", which wasn't hard to figure out because it's sung. I have no idea who's singing it.

It's one of those songs that's ingrained in anyone's brain who grew up watching Warner bros cartoons. That theme was often played when the moon was out at night.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad that so many songs, and classical themes are familiar because of usage in old cartoons. They may be watered down versions, but at least it keeps music alive that is rarely heard elsewhere.

Cowgirl,

I know.. I know!! ooh ooh ooh... It's the same guy who sang this one.. Click HERE! I loved the guy but did you know he sometimes played a bad guy?? Yeah, that's a great tune that is popular with barber shop quartets.

sudo

All right Mr SmartyPants (Sudo) just to make sure we're on the same page what are his initials?? :biglaugh:

For those of you who did not get it or the performer that is, if you can tell me what a "Billabong" is without looking it up, I'll dedicate the next song to you........ :)

Cowgirl

Cowgirl,

Uh, I don't know what a billabong is. Is that a great big pipe that you use for smoking illegal substances, perhaps?? :blink: And as far as initials.. I'm trying to think but right now all I can come up with is SC... for Santa Claus. I mean, that's who he kinda' looks like, ya' think?? :)

sudo