GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Hey guys, Here's one I haven't ever posted. Not by this performer anyways. Click HERE! Great movie with great performances. My daddy sez he doesn't care for one of the main actresses in this movie but I think its because she played such unpleasant characters!
sudo
Yucky, dead rats again. I'll make my own dinner thank you.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everyone seemed to have no problems with Whatever Happened To Baby Jane. Knew about cooked rats, too. Yeah, Hiway29 has my number... I'm getting some of these from Turner Cable Movies. I'll record them on my DVD recorder hooked to my TV and then bring the disk up to the computer for a little ripping. They run great nostalgic movies every day.

Kathy, folks should get yours because... its been done here. I remember listening to it and not knowing it right off the bat. Then someone gave the answer but you know what?? I can't remember what the answer was. Now, was this one of your favorite TV shows or just one that you watched? Was it in black and white? Here's a little black and white nostalgia from an e-mail I got just this morning. Is there anyone here who doesn't know them ALL???

Black and White

aaa.jpg

aab.jpg

aac.jpg

aad.jpg

aae.jpg

aaf.jpg

aag.jpg

aah.jpg

sudo

Batman was always in color. The Lone Ranger was shot in color but noone had color sets back then. The first 2 seasons of Superman were black and white, then shot in color, tho noone had color sets then either. Andy Griffith show was black and white until until 65', coincidentally the same year Don Knotts left, it switched to color. The "Little Rascals" shot is interesting , but is probably one few have seen, since it was from the silent years incarnation.

Oh, and the original Mickey Mouse Club was in black and white, but they did produce a clolr version of the great opening animation-both the color and b&w versions can be seen on a recently released 'best of the Mickey mouse club" dvd.

Speaking of dvd's, this week the complete first season of' F Troop' is being released. Some people hate this show, but I loved it and will happily fork over the sheckles.

oh-and major bonus points to anyone who can name the 'Rascals" in Sudo's pic-I did have to look one up, as he was the replacement for freckle faced Mickey Daniels, but the rest was 'duck soup'.

Everyone seemed to have no problems with Whatever Happened To Baby Jane. Knew about cooked rats, too.

Kathy, folks should get yours because... its been done here. I remember listening to it and not knowing it right off the bat. Then someone gave the answer but you know what?? I can't remember what the answer was. Now, was this one of your favorite TV shows or just one that you watched?

sudo

Sudo, yeah, that dead rat when the plate cover was lifted was :blink:

I loved your pics!

My link was newer than a black and white show. I enjoyed it. I think the main actor is great in delivery and he played the role perfectly. I thought it might have been done here before. He fumbled about. :)

I'll see if I have anything of interest later to link, but nothing like your clips. Your clip of 8 year old Sammy Davis Jr and those moves he built back then that defined him as an adult were just thrilling to watch. He was simply fantastic as a child! No fear, absolutely knew he could do it and was digging it to the max. Thank you for that (I know it was awhile back).

Pawtucket, it's always an honor to have your font amongst our words.

Hiwayman, :redface: =me because I was one who didn't watch F Troop

And I couldn't name the rascals themselves but I sure loved that show when I was young. Memory escapes me exactly that period, and if I'm old enough :biglaugh: to have been watching it prime time. Hmmm, did we have the words prime time back then?

Kathy

LMAO

Hiwayman, I have 2 threads on email notification so even if I don't come here I can see what is added. And you just cracked me up because I went to my inbox and there were 4 emails that were all notifications of a post on one of those threads and the other hasn't been posted on since 12:24 today so I knew it came from Nostalgia. It was all your one post. LMAO because I've wanted to do something different in my linking or not linking my posts and have just sat and looked at it afterwards and thought....uh huh your one post is going to show up as a thousand emails to anyone doing notification. :)

yikes-I had no idea I was doing that, kathy-I just had several 'afterthoughts' that wound up as one post

No 'rascals' in prime time by the way. They were filmed as movie shorts from 1922-1943, and shown on local tv stations to baby boomers in the morning or afternoons.

Well, I'm stumped on the "Our Gang" pic. I think the black kid is Buckwheat, but I'm lost after that, don't even recognize "Spanky" in there.

BTW, does anyone else share my visceral aversion to "The Andy Griffith Show", "The Honeymooners", "The Donna Reed Show", and the penultimate crap T.V. product "I Love Lucy"? I don't know why but those shows just make me cringe. Gawd, they're awful. Especially the characters like Barney Fife, or Gomer Pyle, or Lucy, or anything Red Skelton did. Geeze, I just wanna reach through the T.V. screen and give them a horrendous dope slap and say "Knock it off already!"

I guess I must be in the minority in that view...

George, I disagree with you about 'the Honeymmoners, Barney Fife, and Gomer Pyle, but agree with you on'The Donna reed show, and 'Red Skelton', so I don't know what it all means.

That picture is years before Buckwheat and Spanky. They may not even have been born at the time.

The one kid is named after another breakfast cereal though.

yikes-I had no idea I was doing that, kathy-I just had several 'afterthoughts' that wound up as one post

No 'rascals' in prime time by the way. They were filmed as movie shorts from 1922-1943, and shown on local tv stations to baby boomers in the morning or afternoons.

Hiwayman, :wink2:

I'm a baby boomer ain't I. :unsure:

Hey, now I've got a problem with "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"

IIRC, the covered plate petite dejeuner actually held a dead parrot, didn't it?

Been years since I've seen the flick, but that's how I remember it.

Geo, are you sure, I swear it was a rat. I haven't looked to verify but I swear I'm seeing when she lifted the covered plate petite dejeuner a rat. :blink:

kathy,

I read through some of the reviews in "The IMD" and someone else mentions a rat as well, so I may be totally mistaken.

But I seem to remember Blanche having a pet parrot, or maybe a parakeet, in her room and - after noticing it's absence from it's cage - lifts the lid to discover what's for lunch! Have I fabricated this whole scene myself? Interesting, if that's the case...

I think what's even more interesting is that - from what I can gather - there was NO love lost between Davis and Crawford, before, during, or after the filming of the movie. They REALLY just didn't get along.

Davis really stole the show, though. But then, she DID have the juicier part.

Geo,

Re:"..the covered plate petite dejeuner actually held a dead parrot, didn't it?"

I just watched this one again so I am now an authority. Yes.. there was a cooked parrot in one scene. Uh, I think the bird was more a parakeet, though. Bette had claimed that the bird had escaped while she was cleaning the cage and flown outside. Then when we saw that it was the cooked birdy she was serving Joan Crawford we realized her decent into mental illness.

But later in the picture, she also served a rat to Joan but this time we knew it was a possibility as opposed to when she served the birdy. See, we had no idea she was as sick as she was when she served the bird. It was a shock. But when she brought in the tray to Joan that had the rat, she made the comment to her that they had rats in the cellar. So we knew that there was a good possiblility that when Blanche Hudson lifted the lid.. there would be a rat under there. But we didn't know for sure.. maybe Baby Jane was just playing with Blanche's head. And Blanche didn't know for sure either. But she was starving to death and willing to take a chance. She lifted the lid and....

As I understand it, Bette Davis insisted that she be made up to look as repulsive as she could to be consistent with the charactrer she was playing but that the make-up artists (used to dealing with vain aging prima donas) just wouldn't do it. She then doctored the makeup herselfto be truly hideous.

sudo