GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

I looked up the word "Billabong" LOL!! You'll NEVER guess what it is!!!! Too bad cause I had a great song picked out for that one person who could figure it out!!

Paw and Sushi, I need the name of the performer or it's a nooo go !! :biglaugh:

Cowgirl

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All right Mr SmartyPants (Sudo) just to make sure we're on the same page what are his initials?? :biglaugh:

For those of you who did not get it or the performer that is, if you can tell me what a "Billabong" is without looking it up, I'll dedicate the next song to you........ :)

Cowgirl

As someone who attended "Sufer-dude High School" (the school was less than a mile from the beach), the "Billabong" I know is a label of sportswear, mostly jams, t-shirts, etc., at least, this was true in the late 80's....

(Does anyone call shorts 'jams' any more? Scheesch... I've just dated myself, I think....)

Am I close? :confused:

Edited by ChasUFarley

the way of moonshine hills in new knock hollow, TN. IS so

proud to announce the new profiteer and medium for dr. v.p.

bailey. sir johnigotout...please speak through him if you

need help from me, But PAY ME. VISA CARD..CHRIS QUEER

Edited by Shellon Fockler-North

It's a great morning happening up here in my neck of the woods!!! :)

Burl Ives or as George put it, B.I. for the Silvery moon song. Way to go George!!!!! :eusa_clap:

ChattyKathy..........yes, I am talking about the "Billabong" in that song

Chas, sorry my dear, but not even close!! :blink:

Sudo........way out in left field........Heehee !!

Anyone else want to have a go at it ? What is a "Billabong?"

So for now, I leave you with this catchy little tune, that's electrifying !!!!!!! :evilshades: OOOOOOOH BABY !!!!

HERE

Cowgirl

Edited by Cowgirl

Cowgirl,

What Kathy and Tops said.. that's a fun song and I know where it came from even if I don't know what a billabong is. I remember hearing that song (Waltzing Matilda) deciphered before but forget what everything was. A billabong wasn't a knap sack was it?

Anyways, here's another fun song from the same movie as your song. Click HERE! Oh, and Chas.. If you hadn't told me that jams were shorts I wouldn't have known what you were talking about. Maybe its a regional thingee but I've never heard shorts called jams. Pajamas were sometimes shortened to jammies or jams. Or sometimes PJ's. We've called them poohs since our oldest was just beginning to talk. That's because her pajamas had Winnie the Pooh on them so pajamas got shortened to poohs. The thick cuddly winter pajamas were 'wooley poohs'.

sudo

Cowgirl,

What Kathy and Tops said.. that's a fun song and I know where it came from even if I don't know what a billabong is. I remember hearing that song (Waltzing Matilda) deciphered before but forget what everything was. A billabong wasn't a knap sack was it?

Anyways, here's another fun song from the same movie as your song. Click <a href=http://sudo2u.com/acb.wav><B><font color=red>HERE!</font></B></a> Oh, and Chas.. If you hadn't told me that jams were shorts I wouldn't have known what you were talking about. Maybe its a regional thingee but I've never heard shorts called jams. Pajamas were sometimes shortened to jammies or jams. Or sometimes PJ's. We've called them poohs since our oldest was just beginning to talk. That's because her pajamas had Winnie the Pooh on them so pajamas got shortened to poohs. The thick cuddly winter pajamas were 'wooley poohs'.

<center>sudo</center>

Yeah, but where you live people call Laundry Detergent "Washing Powders"... even if it's liquid... :asdf:

And all carbonated beverages are "Coke".... even if it's really 7UP....

It's a great morning happening up here in my neck of the woods!!! :)

Burl Ives or as George put it, B.I. for the Silvery moon song. Way to go George!!!!! :eusa_clap:

ChattyKathy..........yes, I am talking about the "Billabong" in that song

Chas, sorry my dear, but not even close!! :blink:

Sudo........way out in left field........Heehee !!

Anyone else want to have a go at it ? What is a "Billabong?"

So for now, I leave you with this catchy little tune, that's electrifying !!!!!!! :evilshades: OOOOOOOH BABY !!!!

HERE

Cowgirl

I also know a Billabong is a bay or harbor... hence the use of the name for the label of clothing that I mentioned earlier...

Chas,

Re:"Yeah, but where you live people call Laundry Detergent "Washing Powders"... even if it's liquid... And all carbonated beverages are "Coke".... even if it's really 7UP..."

Sounds like you know us pretty well. I know you must have told us but obviously you've LIVED down here to know about the 'Coke' thing :).

Cowgirl.. what a gorgeous swimming hole!! Looks like there could be some skinny dipping going on!!

sudo

Now I feel like Dory from Finding Nemo....

nemo12.jpg

I WON!

WHOOO-HOOO!

YIPPEEE!

I WON! YAH!

uh.... what did I win?

=================================

Sudo --

Yes, I spent some time in the south... if Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, and Nashville count. Husband 1.0 was from AL - then we got sent WOW to TN... I am fluent in both Southernese and Maine-ah... :biglaugh:

I will be gone perhaps a day or so.

I'll be around checking for another couple hours the most so thought I'd give one more clue although it isn't really on the role as much as the history of it.

It went from novels to movies and radio show somewhere within the 1930-40's area. Then it went to television but I'll not give that part now.