GreaseSpot Cafe

Sadistic leadership

GrouchoMarxJr

"But everybody lusts and everybody gets angry. Remember, in Matt 5 Jesus was talking to his disciples. One or more of them must've thought that if they didn't commit adultery in actual fact, then they were more righteous than those who did. Not true.

The message was...oh, you think you're more righteous than that guy just because he committed adultery and you didn't? Well, guess what? Every time you look at a woman and become sexually attracted to her you just committed adultery in your heart. Are you telling me you've never done that? C'mon, what are ya, gay? Don't give me that."

I have a huge problem with this "interpretation" of the Bible. If what you are saying is correct there is absolutely NO difference between having a thought or impulse and NOT acting on it and having a thought or impulse and choosing TO act on it.

If, as you say, we all lust and therefore we have all committed adultery and it is only and entirely through Jesus that we are saved, then in a sense you are very much agreeing that it is perfectly ok to commit adultery. After all, once you've had the thought you are as guilty as if you have done the deed, so why not just go ahead and commit the act as well? No need to worry about it either, cause you are saved through Jesus no matter what you do. It is my guess this may well have been the same logic VPW, LCM, and others used!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
Originally posted by oldiesman:

Raf, you mention this but don't seem to see any problem (or it doesn't much matter since it doesn't bother you and you don't mention it) of folks who obsess, rant, vent their relentless morbid cruelties against Victor Paul and the BOT. You even justify it with scripture (Jesus condemnation of the Pharisees), and pretty much ignore other scriptures that you don't or won't apply here (Eph. 4:32, principally. There are others.). Suit yourself. God forbid Johniam or me or anyone else spoil or momentarily pause people's everlasting finger-pointing rock throwing spittle spewing condemnation of Victor Paul and the BOT, with trivialities such as the sins of anyone else.

Sorry for distracting the Prevailing Mindset.

It's not that I see no problem with it, Oldiesman. It's that I can't stop it. It's been argued before: should Wierwille be forgiven. Should Martindale be forgiven? Should we pray for them? There's no consensus on this. I can't quote Eph 4:32 at people who may not necessarily accept Eph. as an authority. It does me no good; it does no one else any good.

For the record, here's my take on the subject.

And contrary to your accusation, I was not "justifying" Wierwille bashing with scripture. You asked me a question and I answered it. Rather disingenuous to turn around and accuse me of finger-pointing.

How would Jesus respond to this? That was your question. I'm not certain how he would respond to something like this, 20 years later. Jesus told his disciples to beware wolves in sheep's clothing, didn't he? (If he didn't, Paul did). How are you going to avoid "wolves" if you don't have the personal courage and honsety to identify them?

This isn't justification, and you haven't rebutted it.

And, by the way, it is a lie to say that I "don't" or "won't" apply those scriptures to this situation. I absolutely do. It is more correct to say I will not impose those scriptures on those who do not accept them as an authority.

When I speak to you, I include scriptural references because I know you accept scriptures as an authority. When you say the scripture instructs us to forgive, I agree with you. But when you imply or state outright that the scripture condemns the idea of "harping" on the misdeeds of leadership, I disagree, and I challenge you on a scriptural basis. Understanding the misdeeds of leadership helps Christians to identify and avoid such misdeeds in the future. You have no problem remembering that Jimmy Swaggart consorted with a prostitute, do you? You have no problem recalling the misdeeds of the Catholic Church, past (Inquisition) and present (pedophile and sex abuse), do you? Do you forgive those priests? Do you say, "well, they may have done some bad things, but they also teach God's Word every Sunday." No, because you know and understand a place for recognizing, understanding and condemning sin. I don't see you saying, "but how many of those abused teens knew having sex with a priest was wrong, but did it anyway?" You don't. And why not? Because it doesn't matter! It doesn't matter if a male hooker dropped to his knees in a confessional booth: you hold the priest to the standard of knowing what is and what is not proper behavior for a minister of God.

I hold Wierwille, Martindale and other TWI leadership accountable for knowing what is and what is not proper behavior for a minister of God. Whether their "partners" were willing or not, whether they were equally culpable or victims of manipulative "wolves," is a side issue, one you constantly exalt over the main issue. Suit yourself.

I'm sure there are some women who were equally culpable. I'm sure there are others who were not. For those who were not: why did they engage in this behavior? That's the subject of this thread. How did good people end up "servicing" men of God in defiance of clear scriptures on the subject? Because the scripture was muddied for them. Because God was muddied for them. And that muddying was done on purpose. By ministers. I have more contempt for Pharisees who lead people away from Christ than I do for the misled, for the abused, for the hurt. To the victims, I would say "Go and sin no more." To the Pharisees, I would say "you unimaginable hypocrites. How dare you pervert the Word of God for your own lusts!"

Ezekiel 3:16-21

And it came to pass at the end of seven days, that the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,

Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me.

When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Again, When a righteous [man] doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Nevertheless if thou warn the righteous [man], that the righteous sin not, and he doth not sin, he shall surely live, because he is warned; also thou hast delivered thy soul.

Also: Ezekiel 33:8-9, Acts 20:31

Eli and his sons were punished for causing the people to sin and for not being proper leadership. Does God say, “but he did do so much good that I’m not going to punish him?” Does God say, “They caused the people to transgress, but the people should have known better?” If he does I can’t find it anywhere, but I’m sure john can extrapolate such fiction from somewhere.

quote:
But when you imply or state outright that the scripture condemns the idea of "harping" on the misdeeds of leadership, I disagree, and I challenge you on a scriptural basis.
Along with Eph 4, how about Col 3: 8-17; Phil 4:8? Unless you believe these scriptures don't apply for Victor Paul and the BOT? Especially since these people are no longer our leaders, what's the profit with the everlasting words of condemnation? Geeze, if you can't see what Im saying we are miles apart.

If folks want to engage in the endless condemnation, that's what they do. But i think it takes a pair to get on my case for trying to point out the culpability of others in the mix.

I didn't get a chance to read the link you pointed out to me, I'm going to read it today.

quote:
You have no problem remembering that Jimmy Swaggart consorted with a prostitute, do you?

For all I know Swaggert isn't engaging in that conduct now and I think he repented of it, confess it as sin and received forgiveness. For me to harp on it endlessly (as the Wierwille haters do Wierwille for his misdeeds) is disobedience to those verses I quoted. Am I wrong?

welll-----

as far as om and jiam....

I think two thoughts,

the summary thought..."he who smelt it dealt it..."

and the more complicated one of defense of abuse on their part to illustrate what the Subtle Power of SPiritual Abuse says in many more pages which I wont duplicate here....but I will mention the psychology of trust as leverage of which they seem totally in denial of the existence of even the concept.

OM, it isn't just about docvic(praise be his name). It's about ALL of the leader.... of TWI that were sadistic.

In the context of this thread - I will repeat, because you are extremely dense - in the context of this thread, the culpability(where'd you get that, from your "word a day" calendar?) of others is IRRELEVANT.

I'll explain in much simpler terms.

Within the topic of Sadistic Leader.... (which, after all, is the title of this thread), what others have done is not important.

If you want to start a topic about the culpability of others, go right ahead.

You have made your point. Again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

You do nothing BUT whine about the culpability of others.

Everyone knows just exactly where you stand on that.

quote:
Colossians 3:8 But now you must put them all away: anger, fury, malice, slander, and obscene language out of your mouths.

I agree. I don't think we should get angry. I don't think we should get furious. I don't think we should be malicious or resort to slander. That doesn't mean we sugar coat the past, does it? Call it what it is: just don't let it get the best of you.

As for Philippians 4: I rejected that as an excuse to overlook LCM's authoritarianism, and I reject it as an excuse to overlook sadistic leadership. That verse can be used to justify complacency in the church. When misused for that purpose, I rightly reject it (just as you rightly reject it as an excuse to overlook the sins of the Catholic Church, a fact you conveniently neglected to mention).

Other than that, we're clearly getting nowhere with this. You cite verses to imply we should sugarcoat the past, and ignore verses that tell us to warn others about the harm caused by people acting in God's name. Go suit yourself.

Raf, Insurgent, Houseisrockin,Tom Strange, DMiller...Thank you so much for your gallent hearts and knowledge of the Bible.

Having been "the women" in this situation I applaud your stance. The issue is not adultry but abuse of power.

For myself again it was about not trusting my inner core self and giving up my power to the "spiritual ones". It took years of indoctrination to bring me to that compromising place. In my mind I was blessing God because I blessed his leadership. (I could puke now.)

Gentlemen you are welcomed at my house any time.

Your love for God speaks loudly to somone (me) who doesn't quite trust Christianity anymore. I'v read and seen to much oppression of women via this belief system and it's in the name of God. BULLSHIF!!! The Jesus I know would be far removed from the way some folks talk and feel about women.

Dinner is at 7PM, come on over, and bring some wine.

Imbus,

It saddens me that you were manipulated. I'm glad you recognize that for what it was. It saddens me that you have trouble trusting Christianity. As long as Christians are human, I don't know how you will find a Christian community that is free from sin. I hope you don't let the misconduct of a few Christians (or wolves) rob you of the Christ at the heart of our faith.

This really isn't the place for ministering, but if you ever want to talk, you know where to find me.

Raf

quote:
Originally posted by oldiesman:

But i think it takes a pair to get on my case for trying to point out the culpability of others in the mix.

I almost never even look at threads like these but every time I do, there you are, “pointing out the culpability of others.” In all this time, you haven’t yet acquired a clue to normal ethical standards of “helping” professionals, have you?

Do you realize that a whole society of godless unbelievers (like me) hold doctors, psychologists, counselors, teachers, financial advisors, and people of almost every other profession, to a higher ethical standard than you hold ministers to?

quote:
Maybe it takes the absence of a pair to constantly harp on the culpability of the powerless when the thread is about the powerful.

All it takes is some common horse sense to acknowledge that adults are responsible for their actions. You have no problem whatever accessing responsibility and blame when it comes to Victor Paul and the BOT -- But you can't or won't see it with others, continuing on with the victim mentality mindset excuses when it comes to others. That's why you totally missed Johniam's point about John 8, when Jesus called the actions of the woman (a powerless one), a sin.

This thread morphed into other areas but I'll repeat something I mentioned before: Sadistic leadership is a conclusion of this thread, based upon a premise I don't agree with, which is making twi leadership akin to armed military, who have absolute authority over unarmed prisoners. It's excessive overkill and continuation of the victim mentality propaganda that twi leadership was all powerful and everyone else was helpless mindless idiots who couldn't make decisions on their own.

Oldiesman,

It's not that I don't see it...

It's that IT'S NOT THE FRIGGIN POINT!

The sin of the abuse of power cannot be committed by those who are not in power. Don't you ever get it?

You deny that the power was "absolute," but it doesn't have to be "absolute" to be abused. It doesn't have to be absolute for God's people to be manipulated.

You say I missed Johniam's point in John 8. You're wrong. The point that Jesus said "Go and sin no more" was not refuted by me. What I refuted was the following:

quote:
She, like many women who entered the corps, was probably thrilled to be working in the temple around those "men of God". One thing led to another and she was a sex slave for them. If she tells her family, they would believe the men, not her, and she would have been disgraced. Sound familiar?

Baseless speculation. All of it. Simply untrue, and unsupportable Biblically. That was my objection: that he was misinterpreting John 8 to make that adulteress analogous to the women of the Corps. In fact, the reasons for the adulteresses behavior are unknown and unexplored in scripture (except, of course, for what you guys just decide to make up to flesh out the story).

quote:
It's that IT'S NOT THE FRIGGIN POINT!

Well, that's the point I'm making. If it's not to your liking, sorry.

Oh by the way, sorry for the distraction. Please feel free to continue with the everlasting condemnation of Victor Paul and the BOT. It means so much to endlessly (like a dripping faucet, drip drip drip drip) warn others about these things.

quote:
Oldiesman, you poor illiterate thing...

So, you're resorting to the tactics of your friends...with namecalling, eh? That's it, throw stones like your friends do, keep throwing them. What happened to love and pray for your enemies?

Hey, you're the one who brought up the pair. But I'll delete if it offends you so. Maybe I'll replace it with "you're full of crap." You seem comfortable with that language, right? icon_smile.gif:)-->

And I don't consider you an enemy, but I do pray for you. I pray for anyone who still doesn't get the difference between the abuser and the abused; who can't see the distinction between a misled parishioner and a willfull adulterer.

Semi-derail....

I object to protraying adulterers and abusers of their offices as

"wolves".

Wolves are organized in one of two ways: loners and packs.

Loners are solitary and have no social structure since it's just them.

Packs are run by an alpha pair who has authority over the pack.

When mating season comes, the alpha pair are the only wolves that breed.

The biology of wolves ensures the "lesser" females usually do not go into

heat, and those who do are sent on an enforced vacation until season is

over. (They can then rejoin, or stay away, or form a new pack or whatever.)

The males don't mate out of season, and other than the current alpha, none

of them do IN season.

So, in plain English, wolves are monogamous, and do NOT have sex with

subordinate wolves by virtue of their office. Some corrupt leaders,

on the other hand......

quote:
Matthew 18:6: But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
So, if someone leads a child astray, the child should obviously get a millstone too, since the child was foolish enough to believe the leader? Doesn't matter if they were led, of course--they still shouldn't have followed their teacher when he was wrong? Good thing Jesus said that. Oh, wait. He didn't.

Good grief.