GreaseSpot Cafe

Household vs Family

WaywardWayfer

Okay - This is in response to an e-mail I got.

I hope it helps! BTW, they are STILL teaching this kind of crap.

Sorry, but I did not save the authors of the individual posts or I would give credit where credit is due.

Way Rags from 1996 to 1999 (our last year in). I skimmed LCM's articles and the STS Highlights and here's what I've come up with:

Jan/Feb 1999 "Walking in the Lord" - LCM (page 8 )

Quote:

"Whether a minister of the Lord Jesus Christ, a disciple, or a new believer in the household, we all start out "in Christ," heeding the fundamental principles of the Grace Administration. Then as we mature as faithful disciples, fully instructied in the gift of holy spirit, functioning within the framework of the household of God, we begin enjoying God's abundance and power at the level of "in the Lord", where the Word takes on a greater hue and illumination."

May/June 1999 "Making an Impact with the Quality of Life in the Household" - LCM (page 8, last paragraph)

Quote:

The strength of the household at Thessalonica impressed itself upon the hearts of all those who believed in Macedonia and Achaia. They became the prototype, the model, of a genuine, functioning household, sounding out with the Word of the Lord throughout all the known world (I Thess 1:8 ). In our household fellowships, we strive to build that strength and quality of life. We are a part of the functioning Body, with each individual member committed to move the Word and make a difference. The stronger the household is, the greater the impress, the blow, and together we are making an impact, sounding out with the Word of the Lord.

May/June 1999 "Responding to the Word of the Lord" Dottie Moneyhands.

Quote:

As we respond to the Word of the Lord, our continued growth and maturity are vital for the household to be blessed and prevailing. The fundamental truths of a humble heart, a ready mind, and believing action provide the conditions for our continued growth into deeper levels of maturity required in the fully functioning household.

Jan/Feb 1998 - Sunday Service Highlights (page 9) From an STS on 10/12/97 "The Fundamentals of Prevailing: Stand Together" taught by LCM

Quote:

"Prevailing power only functions in the context of the household standing together. It is not an individual entity or an individual phenomenon. It functions as we have the same mind toward another, as we are like-minded, like-souled, of one accord. That's the only prevailing power I know about."

March/April 1996 "The Prevailing Word in the Household" - LCM (page 5)

Quote:

There are perhaps millions of born-again people in this world. They have spread out, following thousands of separate denominations and sects. Do they agree on truth? Instead of functioning together as a household, they go their separate ways. They belong to the more loosely related group called the "family" of God. On the other hand, the "household" of God are those of us who function together, work together, repair any rifts or friction, build each other up properly and remain."

(same article - page 8 ) "We've seen the family and the household distinctions on several levels. Common sense demands it, and semantically the Scriptures clearly distinguish between the family of God and the household. In practical living there are sharp distinctions made between those who adhere to the standards of the word -- the only way God's household can function -- and those who choose other way. Those following other standards spread out; they do not remain in that fixed dwelling; they stop functioning in the healthy Body; they go outside. They remain "family" because they have God's seed in them, but not "household".

That's enough to make anyone vomit... sorry kids....

Poor LCM. He is now just in the family of God, not the household.

He is now one of us. Without Gods protection, non-functioning.

What a bunch of bull!!

So many commas, so little to say.

I feel so sorry for all the billions of people that ever lived that were not fortunate enough to be part of this great household.

I don't know why they didn't rate in the history of the human race, but oh well, that's the breaks.

The Functioning Body = The Functioning Household

From the Way of Abundance & Power Advanced Class, page 133, Segment 16:

The Functioning Body: The Household of God

"The implication of the allegory (of 1 Cor. 12:14) is the diversity of the human body. No wonder it's the perfect figure of speech in describing the functioning Body, the household of God, with each member in particular maturely deliberating and willing, choosing and determining, how he or she operates the gift believingly to produce tangible evidences of the gift of holy spirit."

From the Way of Abundance & Power Advanced Class, page 361, Segment 40:

The Functioning Household of God

"The adversary is the god of this world. There are things that do happen in life that are negative, that are catastrophic. The key thing is that God promises to protect His own, his believing people within the walls of Zion, the protected walls of the household. God loves all His children, but only His affectionate children are the ones He can protect. If I'm not within the walls of strength, protection, and beauty, then I can not be protected. "

But within that, on a day-to-day basis of believeing, the day-by-day faithful walk of these energized ministers is so key. If they break down, then that sorely limits how God can protect His people. He can still do it if he had to, but the way to do it is to have leadership as the watchmen on the walls ready to blow the trumpet of warning to and to prepare people for what might be coming."

To me this sounds like christian cult talk at its finest. Notice the subtle way the phrases Functioning Body and Functioning Household are used in one breath. He obviously spoke of them as one and the same. It was almost as if he should have just come right out and said it.... If you are not in The Way Ministry then you can not be protected. All because of adding the word "functioning" where needed.

It was sad to see something simple and easy to understand like the family of God or the Body of Christ slowly twisted into a sort of a spiritual Frankenstien.

Twisted Scripture"..... a good name for a heavy metal band but not appropriate for an advanced bible study class.

I asked our bc point blank, ? Are you saying twi is the only household? I also put that question in a letter to the lc. Both were NEVER answered. They can`t because it isn`t in the Word. I did research on the word household which is only used 2x Eph. 2:19 and Gal.6:10. I don`t think you will find it in written form, twi is the only household. But it was strongly implied. After awhile your mind just made that connection.

You know, you really do have to admire twi for how good they are at what they do - pervert and twist the Word of God.

I couldn't find anything either that is committed to writing stating in plain english that twi is the only functioning body. But then again, I threw all mags and tapes away.

LCM spouted it to leadership who then spouted it on down the tree. The inferences were all there. It is pure spin just like any financial obligation being debt is pure spin and the "present truth" as the only true truth is spin.

ONLY TWI is the functioning body. From there they infer that if an epistle is written to the faithful it must not be written to anyone outside of twi. That is why they feel they have the right to breakup a marriage etc. That is why they can convince people that anyone who left is possessed and is not to be talked to in any way shape or form.

This household thing is a tough one to crack because it is just like the basic premise of "Thy Word is Truth". If you are working with someone who doesn't believe God's Word is the standard, then all the verses in the world won't convince them. If you believe that only people in twi are in God's household, then you are not believing the truth of God's great plan, and you can throw out any verse or person you want.

By pure logic it falls apart, but they can't listen to you because you are no longer part of the functioning household.

Let's look at how stupid twi's logic of a functioning body or household makes our God look. (after all the adversary loves to make the true God look stupid)

"But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him." 1 co 12:18 "Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. " 1 co 12:27

"And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all." Eph 1:22&23.

OK, so if anyone born again is just family and not in the functioning body or household or what ever you want to call it, then is stands to reason that...

Christ is not their head if they are not in the body.

That this body that God put together as it pleased him has now been quite effectively destroyed. (If only about 4,000 members are left in it and thousands upon thousands have left it). It probably has no toes left, or maybe the kidneys are all gone. It is a predominantly dead body! So in essence, God lost and the adversary (that took us all out) has won.

Surprisingly, if you think through most of twi2s practical application of the mishandling of the Word, this is what you get down to, that the adversary is stronger than God.

If you hang around anyone that left, the adversary will take you out. So it must NOT be "greater is he that is in me than he that is in the world" 1 John 4:4. The adversary is bigger and stronger. (unless of course those who left are no longer born again with Christ in us. may be that is next)

Weakness always brings down strength. The adversary is what makes people weak, therefore once again the adversary will bring down God's strong people.

The info on the internet is from the adversary - if you look at it you will get taken out. Once again, who is stronger?

If you leave the adversary will kill you. What? God can't still protect his kids? Once again, the adversary is stronger.

If what twi teaches presently seems to contradict something in the Word, they expect people to adhere to the present truth now being taught at HQ. Once again, then God is not the same forever, he changes at the whim of twi. What a weak God!

Come on TWI, ...People are not strong enough to destroy what God designed as the Body of Christ!

But then again, what do I know ... I was filled in every cell of my body with the spirit from God which is light one day and then as soon as I left twi, it all changed. Light that once dispelled darkness and couldn't exist in the same place (according to twi) has been shoved aside by that strong adversary and I am now possessed. According to twi, darkness now can dispel light. Once again, what God is biggest according to twi?

I think the phrase "In the Lord" is amazing in the way it is used in the Word. It is definitely different from "In Christ," and well worth understanding. A simple run through in a concordance astounded me with the significance associated with the phrase years ago.

The problem came in when VPW started associating the TWI household with those who are designated as in the Lord in the Word. In the Lord people come from all parts of the family, so in the equating of TWI household with those who are in the Lord, not only did the TWI household morph into a non-existent, bizarre thing, but the truths concerning in the Lord were lost; thereby, cutting TWI off from musch of the help that comes to households in the family from those who are in the Lord.

Waywardwayfer...interesting stuff...

Lcm states "God loves all His children, but only His affectionate children are the ones He can protect"

Whew!...chilling, mind numbing...

When I grew up with my siblings, some of us were "affectionate" and some of us were not. My "earthly father" protected us all equally. I seem to recall Veepee ranting out something about "my earthly father did a better job than that..."

This is the "not so subtle" doctrine that deviates from a powerful, loving, and able God, extending His mercy and grace...and replaces Him with a god that is limited in both ability and unconditional care. Martindale's god is not ABLE to protect him. He's willing, mind you, just not ABLE...so where does this "ABLE-NESS" reside? Apparently, the ability to be protected, resides within the human mind!...lcm calls it being "affectionate"...and of course, a closer examination of HOW to be "affectionate" (or how to activate the "ability to be protected") is to give twi your money and allow them to control your life...or as others might say...to be a "functioning member of the household".

It seems that lcm pulled the old bait and switch...He advertises a loving God that is ready to pour His adundance on you, and then delivers a mean spirited, controlling hierarchy of manipulating extortionists, who bend you over.

All of this microscopically exquisite defining of the "household" is simply utilized to make TWI feel set apart and special. From what very little I've read, it's a pretty common cult brainwashing technique. Outside the household means outside the small, exclusive, specially blessed-by-God (God being the cult hierarchy or leader) group. You can't function outside the household. I distinctly remember the young squirt who was our socalled MOG stating that "It is impossible to exist outside the Household of Faith. If you leave this household, the spirit within you will die, and shortly thereafter your physical body will die also, because it is impossible to exist outside the household of faith."

I'm still standin' D.M****r. Happier, healthier, and a better relationship with my heavenly Father than I ever had under your dictatorship, you little f**t! I don't have to try to please perfect little TWI folks any more. I please my Lord Who loves me!

So there! icon_smile.gif:)-->

Right, Unc, about the bait & switch.

"But God commendeth [favorably introduced]his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Having favorably introduced his love for as a God who loves sinners to the extent of sending his son to die for us, is God now going to change the nature of his love?

Nah

The whole "Household vs. Family" teaching is one that made my skin crawl from the first time I heard it.

It was never really strongly emphasized until LCM took over, eliminating songs like "Family of God" or any other song or teaching that referred to God's people as the "family".

I knew something had to be wrong. So I did a very, very simple word study and found that it is wrong! IMO, their teaching is nothing more than private interpretation according to usage in TWI - in other words, whatever makes them look like they have the only truth!

The fact is that a household can be any group of people living under the same roof. A mom, a dad, a child, a servant, a wierd uncle, a guest, a freeloader, the dog, the cat, etc. Some are related by blood, others aren't. Some have rights to the car keys, the bank account, the food in the fridge - others don't. Those people need permission to participate or share the things that the family has because they're related by blood!

Think of the prodigal son - it's a great example of the difference between the household and family.

The son takes his inheritance - part of his right as a family member - and goes and ....es it away. He ends up on Skid Row hanging out with the pigs. He's miserable. He decides that he'd be better off if he goes and asks his dad to take him back as a servant because at least he'd be under his dad's roof and be fed and cared for in that household. He distinguishes the difference between household and family:

Luke 15:17 - 19: And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!

I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,

And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

We all know the story - his dad saw him coming - told the brother to have a big party because his son - a member of his family was coming back! He wasn't a servant - someone merely living under his roof - in his household. He was related by blood - therefore had the rights and privileges that a blood relative has. He hadn't been living there as a "functioning part of the household". He hadn't been contributing. He'd been off hangin' with the hogs. BUT HE WAS STILL IN HIS DAD'S FAMILY! And nothing can change that.

So being in a household isn't really anything all that great. When we have company staying with us, they're in our household. I'm not going to give them my credit card and tell them to go shopping. They'd probably be a bit uncomfortable raiding my fridge! But they're here - under my roof - in my air space. So what? They may leave and I'll never see them again. But my kids? Hey - they can have anything they want (within reason). If they leave and I never see them again (God forbid) - they'll always be my kids - my flesh and blood - my FAMILY. They don't have to be under my roof - they're still mine (whether they like it or not!).

That teaching is BS. I believe it was designed to make little TWI feel more important, superior to other Christians who were merely in "the family". It's an ego trip - being in a small group of the elite "household" is much better... there are so few of us who are qualified to be here, we're sooooooo spay-shull! What bunk.

I'd rather be a part of a big, diverse family with loads of brothers and sisters than an itty bitty, snobby, isolated household that restricts my freedom to believe and thrive. Who wouldn't?

One thing that always made me think:

In the Roman world a "Household" could include slaves who were there to serve their masters.

A family didn't.

TWI likes having their slaves and manages to delude them into thinking that they are actually something better than family.

I for one would rather be in the family rather than a slave in the "household."

quote:
I'm still standin' D.M****r. Happier, healthier, and a better relationship with my heavenly Father than I ever had under your dictatorship, you little f**t!

WG - There's another D.M****r out there? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I never led anything in "da mini-stry", so I know that couldn't have been directed at me. Still -- you had me wunderin! icon_wink.gif;)-->

Current as I can offer regarding their words on household:

STS highlight Jan 18 04...D*n L*max

"It's the power of God's prevailing Word that goes to work for us day by day in our lives as we live the greatness of this Word in the household. We see the power of God's Word, and we receive the wholeness that the Word makes available. As we continue in the fellowship of the household, we grow in God's Word and in God's power. That's power in the gospel."

Magazine article May/June 04...C*r*s G*a*lich

"In our Administration of Grace each individual in the household is responsible to do his part to plant and water. Then God, the originator and Sustainer of all life, gives the increase in the outreach of His Word. Each faithful disciple working in harmony with God and with one another in the household is recognized and rewarded for his efforts."

How sad that they think they are prepared for everything, yet miss the most important of all, that being beyond their bondage of darkness there is light.

Stephen Wright might also say -----------

"Abundant sharing"

"When am I getting my share of the Abundance?"

"If it's got to be, it's up to me"

"There is no "B" in me.

"Just sign the green card"

"Hmm, I'm an illegal, I have no green card.

"M&A?"

"Meat and apricots? What kind of pizza is that?"

"Cop-out"

"Yea - that's what I told him, but he wouldn't listen."

icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Hi all,In response to Ch** Gra**ml**c article

What an alleged liar He personally does not

live and apply any of what he says.

the person is critical to no end even his wife

allegedly covers for him

Okay,God is the originator of life But.Who is our example? Jesus Christ of course Point a finger at someone else get the beam out of your

eye first

My point is God gives freely It is grace we do

not match God work to work remember Ch**s

It aint by our works but by grace

We build up not tear down one another

We plant and water yes according to what God

decides to increase not some spiritaulll leader

of some little cult

enough venting...

See the way rag teachings ect allegedly all sound great but under the scrutiny of heart

application intent it is bogus.

Since being out of the Twi everthing I was taught has been reexamined in light of I do

not have anything to gain by sharing the word,

giving(yeah I said giving cause if it aint mine

then then where the hell did it come from ,

Hmmmm seeem I have a real job not just working for a cult) helping people cause I want to

not cause we need to recriut someone

As a last point.Hey innnies want to see how much freedom you have? Just say no once.

Later all

I'm not sure as to what point the above quote is trying to make regarding household v family.

There is a difference between the state of gayness and acts which some people may do in certain situations where they are denied access to what they would consider their natural inclinations.

But a prison is an institution and for many TWI was more of a prison than either household or family.

Hope R...that was the best explanation I've heard yet concerning twi's household verses family bs.

Good Point Trefor...twi institutionilized mental bondage. What originally attracted me to twi was their "seeming" willingness to continue research and change if they were wrong about something. Supposedly they were open to imput from any and all "saints" concerning the doctrine of the bible...yeah right.

It soon became apparent that the only thing bigger than their egos, was the institution of a rigid religious system that they were building. Whether you considered yourself in the household (aren't I cool)...or just a member of the family (I guess I'm just a putz), you were still part of and assimilated into the institution of mental bondage.

RE: "People go into prison straight and come out homosexual. Doesn't that say something about choice?"

Hmm, up too late? One too many? Jet lag?

Wrong thread! Sorry.

Damn, wrong restaurant.

Thanks for your input, Trefor. Nice, the way you addressed my post and applied your answer to this thread at the same time.

Tom

Twi's sharp line of distinction between "household" and "family"

(which I first heard from "the Way Tree" seminar taught by J. Townsend) was always among those doctrines which caused me to go, "huh?"

Especially when one starts inquiring as to what particular Greek word or words lay behind the word "family" -as opposed to "household".

with the KJV, it's patria (strongs # 3965) -

translated only once as "family" in Eph.3:15 - and in 2 other places as "lineage" and "kindreds".

"household" is of course translated from the "oik-" Greek words (e.g., Strongs # 3609, and numerous others I'm too lazy to list here at the moment).

But what contrasting Greek words would twi have us assign for "family" to distinguish from "household"?

There really are none.

At the risk of overstatement for the sake of brevity here, "family" and "household" are essentially synonyms. Some translators use "family" in place of "household" and vice-versa when handling the "oik-" words, and I think rightly so.