GreaseSpot Cafe

Day-timers

Steve!

Does anyone else remember back in 83 or so when Day-timers were big in the minus-try?

What I mean specifically is - a bunch of wayfers were into selling them. The whole Day-Timer system, with cassette tapes and everything, on how to get organized or some such.

I listened to one apprentice corpse girl talk about these things and try to sell me on it, and then tried to let her down easy. I didn't end up buying it, by the way. Some of you may know her, V*da C*labrese, she ended up marrying R*cardo C*ballero, I think.

About 4 or 5 other apprentice corpses approached me about it after that.

Was this happening country-wide, or was it only in certain areas?

All of the people I knew who carried around day-timers were the worst people to be on time. I'm not say ALL people who carry them are late, just the ones I knew. They would be so meticulous to write down all of their appointments and look so organized. They couldnt' go anywhere without packing the damn thing with them, BUT THEY NEVER LOOKED AT IT!!!!

So what does that help? I never carried one. I relied on my brain and post-it notes on the fridge to remember stuff.

Sorry to derail a little on your thread Steve! Day-timers set off a certain soap box for me. I never knew anyone who was selling day-timers. I thought you always bought them through the mail or office supply store.

Our whole area was required to get one! Okay - not necessarily required, but it was strongly suggested so you know that that means. icon_wink.gif;)-->

This was in the days of daily prayer partners, 2x weekly witnessing w/your prayer partner, 3x weekly fellowship meetings, phone hook-ups, branch meetings, asst & fc meetings and any additional things they wanted you to do.

This happened to me but it was the dumb planner that HQ put out and it was in the 90s.

That thing was good if you did two things per day. As an executive planner? Uh... I think they did that in Word in about 5 minutes, didn't they? :-)

Did they "suggest" I get one? You bet. Did I? LOL! Yeah, right. I told my BC that my secretary kept my calendar for me and he didn't know what to say. I then showed him what she did for me and he said "well, it still wouldn't hurt."

icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

thank you

NOw this is how I see it

THINGS TO REMEMBER (ver 1)

1. DInner Saturday with friends 7 pm glacier brew house

THINGS TO REMEMBER (Ver 2)

1 remember to write in day planner

2 Where is the Day timer?

3 Where is a pen?

4. DInner Saturday with friends 7 pm glacier brew house

5 remeber to look at the day planner

6 remeber where the day planner is

7 HAving lost the day planner where is my friends phone number?? (Ans--in the day planner)

I still keep a calender of events . I write down when I make phone calls and to whom I spoke . I write down when I send out bills and the amount. I write down details of conversations I have with others..

maybe I fear having the forgeting disease but I tell it has helped me more than once when another questions or loses documents I have dealt with.

my teen daughter never has enough clothes so when I go out and spend three or four hundred on shoes or buy a new expensive coat oh I write it down when she says this is so old I need a new one, and can say no really two months is not an outrageous time to have a coat... maybe and I will write in a time I think is more reasonable.. I raised them with this type of mini budget mind it helps avoid conflict and greed that happens when they do the mall thing in their mind.

I write down when the bills will be due with reminders two and three weeks ahead.. it just makes life better for me.

Daytimers, Inc. is part of Fortune Brands, which owns Moen faucets,Cobra Golf, Titleist and many other companies. Daytimers, Inc. is headquartered in Allentown, PA. My wife was once employed in new products there. It was the number one selling planner in the 90's, but I'm sure that with the advent of PDAs its popularity has decreased.

Judas Priest...you people miss the really important issue addressed in this thread...

...tissue issue, that is.

I sneeze this opportunity to offer further clarification to the aforementioned Shellberton comment i.e the literal according to usage...

Kleenex is most often used to comfort and/or clean the probiscular portion of one's face while tissue is most often used to comfort/clean the southernmost slat sections of the torso.

A simple matter of destinktion.

quote:
my teen daughter never has enough clothes so when I go out and spend three or four hundred on shoes or buy a new expensive coat oh I write it down when she says this is so old I need a new one, and can say no really two months is not an outrageous time to have a coat...

You could just give your daughter the money you plan to spend on her clothes once a year, and leave all the other decisions about what to buy when up to her. As soon as she figures out that's all she's getting and you really won't give her more even if she spends it all on 2 pair of sneakers, I be she'll get smarter about buying coats. But even if she doesn't she won't come complaining to you.

quote:
All of the people I knew who carried around day-timers were the worst people to be on time. I'm not say ALL people who carry them are late, just the ones I knew. They would be so meticulous to write down all of their appointments and look so organized. They couldnt' go anywhere without packing the damn thing with them, BUT THEY NEVER LOOKED AT IT!!!!

Yeah, but at least they had something besides a Bible to put in their new briefcase

nah I like shopping and buying stuff for my kids all the time. I do think purchases and buying new clothes and stuff helps open communication in teens hell yeah it even works for me and my mom sometimes.

who says ya cant buy love? bologny it keeps the conversations open yes it does till they get old enough not to be in their own little worlds.

if I had the money I would buy evrything my kids and now grands ever wanted and needed every single day.

I believe in spoiling everyone. we never had alot but what I work for is them for sure.

Yet another stupid fad dreamed up by a bunch of control freaks with nothing better to do.

This must be what happens when you think helping your family or those in need is beneath you. You buy a planner, brief case and a crappy suit then go about running other people's lives.

Other great ideas from the Way Irrational probably have already had their own thread or should.