whoever was needed to keep their own lusts

going, and everyone else was to be TOLD

loving things while taking their 10-15% and

providing nothing in return.

I AM still aware that analogies are

FIGURES OF SPEECH,

and, as such are

NOT LITERALLY TRUE TO FACT.

Therefore, most of the time, I leave it alone.

The offense exists mostly in my mind.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ex- I hear that is how it is also. That would explain the declining numbers, especially of new folk. I think the old timers that are in allow it because the changes were gradual. A hundred or two small compromises on "insignificant matters" and they really have you eating out of their trough.

I'm willing to wager that if I phoned them right now, TWI would say that one may have a mortgage and attend their ACS. But I think it really goes way beyond that and has nothing to do with that. I think the bottom line is, they want only the most committed and loyal people taking their advanced classes; with or without mortgages.

Back in 1978 when I first took the advanced class, I hadn't been attending twig for 6 months, when I applied and was approved to take the advanced class. See how times have changed -- no way that'd be possible today.

quote:
Originally posted by oldiesman:

I'm willing to wager that if I phoned them right now, TWI would say that one may have a mortgage and attend their ACS. But I think it really goes way beyond that and has nothing to do with that. I think the bottom line is, they want only the most committed and loyal people taking their advanced classes; with or without mortgages.

(snip)

I agree you'd be allowed to attend with a mortgage.

However,

I think the bottom line is,

they want the money that attendance brings more than retaining their

error-ridden doctrine of "no mortgage". Greed triumphs over principle

once again, business as usual.

Oldies:

quote:

Are you saying they've changed their policy or that you would just get a nice answer on the phone?

If you did call, I doubt you would get an answer because the first thing they would do is ask for your name. When they saw you weren't "standing with them" they would start the runaround process. You would never get anything that wasn't politically correct on the phone but you wouldnt' get an answer either.

Post-Martindale policy (my observation, not something in writing, of course) was to stop being DIRECTLY confrontational in public and give non-answers instead. Be vague. One can't be sued for spoken, non-specific policies. To my knowledge, the ACS still requires a policy of non-debt.

Serious question, OM, would you try it. It would be interesting to see their response.

JT

I wonder if the participants got what they paid for. Look what it cost:

Cannot own a home. Never mind the policy that says you can own one, just no mortgage. (I have yet to find anyone, believer or unbeliever, that bought a home without one)

$500+ in registration fees, plane fare, hotel and food

Time that could be MUCH more profitably spent with family or friends

Time and labor spent cleaning leaders' houses, cars, etc. just to be enough on their good side to be able to go.

Not only cash for the event, but fifteen percent of their income donated faithfully for how long?

The list could go on and on.

What did they get? Old, rehashed PFAL teaching, a topical bible study that a second rate hack could produce, and a few assorted sharings.

Must have really been worth it.

When I went to the ACS in 2002, I had friends from a state coordinated by B*ll Gr**n who had a mortgage. They told me that they were harassed by their BC, but BG told them they could go to the ACS. They also told me that BG told them they could contact a "no longer standing" ex-corps couple that they were friends with a long time ago.

In the area I was in, there was a "faithful" couple who had decided to buy a house. They were not allowed to run a fellowship or go to the ACS.

I think going to the ACS depends on who the leadership is and how controlling and nazi-like they are.

But then again, why in the H do you have to ask if you can do anything? Think about it, Innies.

quote:
Back in 1978 when I first took the advanced class, I hadn't been attending twig for 6 months, when I applied and was approved to take the advanced class. See how times have changed -- no way that'd be possible today.

OM, this was because the almighty dollar was the controlling factor for attendance back then. VP was in for the money. There was no prejudice against anyone willing to pay. Remember, it was the "sign" for commitment? It sure wasn't about grace and mercy from VPW. He liked having a large crowd; I'm sure it made him feel spayshul.

quote:
quote:Just talked to an "Innie" who was at Dallas and has a mortgage. As long as the paper work states "RENT TO OWN" there is no problem with TWI to buy a house.

Ayuh

OnionEater, I don't understand what the official policy is. Wishing for Freedom said mortgages are not allowed, but now you're saying mortgages are. What's up?

A simple case of double-talk. Say "RENT TO OWN" in your purchase agreement and it's just rent. A Lawyer and a bank will agree on any wording as long as it's paid and that's all state TWI leaders care about.

I told them, "you sure fooled gawd with that one", they just grinned.

More thoughts on what the ACS cost:

Plenty of suprise inspections from your gracious "overseers" to see if your housekeeping is spiritual enough.

No lasting friendships. If you step out of line, you will find that they are not your friends; they will drop you like the proverbial hot potato. Ironically, they are only friends when it "comes to the word."

A good education. Can't go in debt for anything, you know. Besides, you will not have time to do so on their schedule.

Pets. Does anyone know, is the no pets policy still in force? Still, a "major pet" costs money. You will need to discuss the real need for a pet with your overseer, and perhaps their overseer. Pets cost money, money that you could ABS. Besides, you do not have time for pets or luxuries when you are "moving da verd."

Cable TV and other forms of entertainment will have to be discussed with your overseer.

"Would you like to come to church with me?"

"No thanks boy, no church with you."

Onion quote:

quote:
A simple case of double-talk. Say "RENT TO OWN" in your purchase agreement and it's just rent. A Lawyer and a bank will agree on any wording as long as it's paid and that's all state TWI leaders care about.

There is a huge difference between rent-to-own and a mortgage. Any bank or lawyer will tell you so. Look at who owns the deed and that's all you need to know. Rent-to-own is simply a rental agreement that applies some or all of your rent payments IF you decide to later buy it. A mortgage is what you get IF you decide to buy it.

Agree with it or not but I thought TWI's policy was clear when I was in. Got mortgage? NO ACS or AC. Rent to own is not a mortgage or long-term commitment.

JT

JT, were they either filthy rich, had a huge inheritance or was the money from selling their original home that they DID have a mortgage on?

I highly doubt you're going to find an average middle class family who has never had a mortgage paying cash for a house unless they win the lottery or come into a windfall some other way. It just isn't going to happen. You can't save for a house while you're paying outrageous rental fees - especially if you have kids and are saving for college for them as well.

Belle,

I've seen it done. People work hard and their spouse does too before they have kids. And they weren't filthy rich. I don't know that much about their finances as I didn't care to ask. One couple worked in retail positions which aren't known for making millionaires. And their parents are still very much alive so I doubt there was some inheritance.

I hear people say it's impossible but...

JT