GreaseSpot Cafe

Priceless Corps Moments

tomtuttle

Kevin, dear

I don't know how the heck you mangage to remember all this stuff, that is worth a chuckle or two at least. But I'm kinda with engine, my last year in-rez was spent just wanting to get the heck outa dodge.

By some magic stroke of luck, Pat Lynn was very kind to me, and I must say, I wouldn't have made it our last year without her benevolent intervention. My beloved sis-in-law however, tells a different story.

And my husband, for some reason was spared alot of the bs...

But that's what makes the whole corps experience so freaky.....some people got better treatment than others, for whatever unknown reason.....Others got .... on, and there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.

There's more to this story, but suffice it to say, those of us who got corps assignments close to the "root," left sooner. icon_smile.gif:)-->

It got real disturbing after graduation. Hubby and I weren't in the safe netherlands of Alaska. We were right there in Kansas. Holy ....

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

It was a very comon saying in our day

its not who you know but who you blow

sad to find out the truth of it all. Some wonderful brothers and sisters got dang on for meaness sake.

Why? What were they teaching us by all that?

I was the youngest adult in the family deal. And climbed to the top. I pray i wasn't one of the biggest jerk that others were. Traped in a system that you were rewarded if you were a jerk.

There were moments, Frankee, even during the insanity. My first year in rez, in 75/76, we had no elder korks atall! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_razz.gif:P-->. we just had 3 5th kork guys(interim year) who had full-time staff jobs and also were the "area" coordinators(leadership) for the way tree structure in res. Plus, lcm was not yet the addle-brained, loogie-hockin big forehead he was to become...

It was actually challenging without being a "rat-out-your brother" kind of thing like I know it became in later years. Of course, it was still to ultimately churn out good little class-runners and there was a fair amount of questionable, "inner-sanctum" krap going on too.

But far superior to how regimented it was our final year, esp. under G Wre*n at emporia... icon_redface.gif:o--> icon_eek.gificon_mad.gificon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

As long as we are on that year, one cold but calm November evening I ran out to the airport and back. There was no one there, but the door was not locked, and I proceeded to check out the weather. While I was there, some pilot flew in alone and I witnessed to him. Several weeks later, JAL flew in with him to teach a class. The guy mentioned that night to JAL, who in turn related it to me. (JAL had been my LC at Indy.)

I rarely had any personal trouble with GW; of course as a group we got plenty of rantings and ravings. I guess I was a good boy. One Sunday I was on BP before the evening teaching. He reprooved me for allowing a car to go up the drive too fast without saying anything, but my humble "yes sir, I guess I should have" earned me a smile and head pat. And I think I got him on my side when I ripped out Thessalonians.

It was somewhat different two years later at HQ.I got plenty of personalized reproof from JT, VPW, BR, and HA, and eventually the boot.

JT? JustThinking reproved you? icon_smile.gif:)-->

I met GW a few times and thought he was just really quiet. I enjoyed his teachings and singing, but, then again, I was really new when I first met him. I heard that he and his wife, Paul* had their house custom built for running classes. She seemed to be really strict and die-hard. I hardly ever saw her smile and never felt very comfortable around her. She was pretty distant, but GW seemed more laid back and did smile quite a bit.

Obviously they are kool-aid drinkers as they gave up a great house, great careers and good friends to move into a VERY cramped place and go on TWIts payroll. I don't know if they are still on the payroll, but I see Paul* being the ranting and raving one over Ger*ld. Am I thinking of the wrong couple?

Belle .. I think you are thinking of someone else, this was Gerald Wre*n and his wife Sue, both 2nd kork and the year was 1977/78 at Emporia. Long, long time ago. never had careers before going into kork...too young at the time, fresh outa college for G. and not sure about S.

alfakat

ps now I know who you mean...J and P Wrenn or perhaps Wren, 7th kork couple, still with twit as of at least a year ago or so. P was a real sweetheart back when I knew her, but that goes back a ways. J was from San Francisco, former long-hair hippie fella, really genuine good guy. Have had no contact with either since before 85 and vp's death.

yes... they (J and P) still "drink the koolaid" but we don't see them much anymore, only when the AC is in Dallas... and then only a little bit...

(btw, they didn't have their home "built" to run classes, but I'm sure that they considered it when they bought it) icon_smile.gif:)-->

Now... as for GW... he wasn't too happy with me one time at lunch on my birthday....

Oops! No wonder I had a hard time picturing him being the beastly man I've been reading about! icon_smile.gif:)--> Jos*ph & Paul* Wr*nn - that's it! Thank you.

Tom, they had every room wired for sound so you could hear and/or see the class in just about any room in the house. Must have been put in after they bought it. I remember thinking they were a wee bit extreme.....little did I know I would join them on the extreme side.

I'm really interested in hearing about your birthday!

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

JT? JustThinking reproved you? icon_smile.gif:)-->

Didnt know if you were just making a smile or really didnt recognize JT. He is the one whose wife NT helped us out when we corps men raided the women in the VPW home and stole their huge plate of nachos.

He is also the one whose shadow appointment I forgot, which set him on a tirade of why I could memorize all the scripture I did but couldnt remember one appointment. (I didnt forget my VPW shadow though.)

Each in-residence twig had to do skits based on scenes from "The Way Living in Love."

I wish I could remember this better, but one twig did a skit portraying the 1st corps that was HILARIOUS. They weren't really making fun of it, but then again maybe they were.

I just remember laughing my a$$ off, along with a lot of other people. THEN, the coordinator, RT, reamed the twig that did it and those of us who laughed because he thought the skit was "disgraceful" because it was so disrespectful of the 1st corps.

THE LICE. Rampant on campus at Emporia. We were all inspected by the in-residence Corps who were nurses. Those of us infected had to get kerosene dumped on our heads.

Everyone put all their bedding and clothes outside to kill the lice and larvae who couldn't survive temperatures below 45 degrees.