GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

You're right,Nika,it was $20 a month we got to spend...If you needed to spend more,...like for an operation or something,you had to get permission from the corpse coordinators....If you wanted to buy a Bullinger(also) Bible or a Young's Critical Lexicon and Concordance,you were supposed to save your $20 per month for such things....However we did get a discount in the bookstore....

Cigs were about $5.50 a carton in those days(so,let's just say I owe you 55 cents,Strangeone :wink2: )Usually we'd team up and get Taster's Choicer instant coffee crystals 'cuz they had a perpetual hot water pot in the dorm I stayed in....My first year is where I devoloped my love for beer by the quart...I think you could get Schlitz or Blatz for like 3 or 4 for a dollar...

When I graduated,and headed out on the 'field',I had one box for my books,about the same size box for my clothes,one suitbag for my two suits that I wore about 600 times each the past three years,my cardboard simulated woodgrain way corpse file box that contained detailed notes of every teaching I heard while in-residence :rolleyes: and an Acme Cowboy boot box,which I still have, that contained all my worldy possesions that weren't clothes or study materials...At the close of the ROA that year,just as the "God bless you,I love you,you're the beast!",or however it ended was happening,a wonderful 7th corps gal handed me a $20 bill and said to me "God put it on my heart to give this to you"....Equipped with those worldly possessions,and that $20 bill,I went forth as a worker in an area of concern,interest and need....

a pack now costs more than a carton ? man, i know who the ruler of this world is !

ahhhh the more abundant life travelin' light just like veepee and craig

simon, what a sweet pathetic story. that means you HAD to move in with someone who had furniture and utilities. going on staff from graduation was a lot damn easier

simon, what a sweet pathetic story. ...

:jump:

What an insidiously kind way with words ... I love it :)

Beer by the quart, WOW, that and some sweet undershepherding in upstairs Anderson from some elder corps lass ... that would have changed my corpse life, but no, I was out there doing retemories while running.

Edited by rhino

Okay.

Yesterday afternoon, the temperature here was 107.

The heat index was, however, only 106.

That doesn't sound too bad niKa... I think we'd take that down here... the day before yesterday it was 98 with a heat index of 105... of course that was at 10:20 PM... the high for the day was 112...

we're supposed to get a cold front from you guys tonight and tomorrow's high is only supposed to be in the mid to upper 90's...

...if it was a "dry" heat like simonzeeloaded and rocky have it would be a little more bearable... maybe that's what yours was... "dry"...

Nope, it was pretty "not dry," as heat goes.

But there was a bright side to the cool front that came through.

I won some tickets by being the 5th caller to the radio station; I know, I should be cool and listen to CD's, but okay, I'm NOT that cool . . . anyway, I won some tickets to the minor league game that was played in OKC last night (the Oklahoma City Redhawks vs. the Nashville Sound). We loaded up the kids and had dinner in the the warehouse district before going to the Bricktown BallPark. Johnny Bench threw out the first pitch. It turned out to be a double-header. There were fireworks after the last game. It was definitely Friday Night in the Big Town.

But one of the very nicest things that happened was a breeze that began during the second game, which brought with it cooler air - all the way down to the mid-eighties. It felt like heaven as we sat with our huge beers and our peanuts.

That's the weather report from niKaville.

:wave:

At the risk of being too serious, I found this quote on a website, and thought that it reminded me of the way I used to feel regarding "our former denomination." In case it might come in handy to anybody, here it is:

"I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain."--- James Arthur Baldwin

Oddly, I found that in the cases where I've been able to let go of some of the hard feelings (toward TWI or just anybody who's cheated or wronged me), the extent to which I've been able to let go of that ill will has been directly proportional to the extent that the pain has lessened.

At least, it usually works. Sometimes the whole scenario has to "age" a little. We were discussing the fact that it's been 25 years since we graduated from the Corps. The feeling of being cheated by TWI gradually recedes to the category of "lesson learned, back when I was a baby."

I would imagine that for some of the lurkers, it's still so recent as to be an open wound. It's to them that I raise my coffee cup of encouragement this morning.

love, niKa

you should post that in dervay forum niKa... seriously...

I agree,Tom...As a lioness among her whelps,the mother of our tread continues to nurture us little cubs in her boo-sum,letting us playfully wrassle away and run astray,as cubs will often do,and all the while coralling us into a more perfect way,gently patting our rumps with ingots of sage truths laced with the love befitting a proud mother....

Hey, I've heard that before... "We're all gone now!!".

Let's all pray our wandering star Fellowhipper returns to these our threads. Maybe he's been getting all liquered up with the aborigines. Fellow, if you're our there, just remember; the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.