GreaseSpot Cafe

Forum Pruning

pawtucket

Infopop, which hosts these forums, is charging for posts over a certain limit (70,000 Live and 70,000 Archive) The Archive posts are the ones with the lock on them. And they are charging some very hefty fees for the overages.

I am trimming some old open topics and some political topics. These two forums are more based on current events and many old posts will not be missed.

I have to delete about 60,000 more posts. I would like to not touch the picture forum, My story, or any in the Connecting section.

A few months ago I mentioned that if you thought a thread was good enough to preserve you should rate it and I will use that as a gauge of what to save. Well if you haven't, now would be the time to do it.

If you're getting charged per post, and the length of the post doesn't matter, how 'bout deleting all the posts that just say "LOL" or have nothing in 'em but an emoticon?

If that would help but is too time-consuming, I'd be glad to lend a hand if you'd like.

Back in the day before the WWW, "me too" posts that didn't really add anything were highly discouraged, as a "waste of bandwidth."

Lemme know. I could only work on it in the evening, but I'd be happy to do it. By when do you have to get this pruning done?

Would getting rid of the "list of posts" (view all posts, by so and so) found in each of our public profiles help?

I don't care if folks go over what I've said previously, but if you got rid of that, it might open up some space for you too. I doubt if many (or any) go to a person's profile to see what they said in the past.

If it is the number of posts, could all the posts in an archived thread be pasted into one big post? Thus an entire thread becomes only one post.

Gawd, who is gonna go through and delete the LOL posts? Shell can do it on her days off. Seems she gets abunch of those! teehee

~HAP

Yeah, if we all edited and deleted old private messages, would that help?

I agree, though, Don't touch THE! I finally got the courage to post on it.

I can help delete some LOL! posts, too. Or combine some into one long post if it's the number of posts that count. (good idea)

Also, I would love to contribute to the rent or salary of the dishwashwer, but I will not pay to have the gum scraped off the bottom of the tables.