GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I noticed him pitching righty and thought ( duh!), knocking forearms after he got to the plate didnt seem to be in before the late 90's either, Old Fenway looked good though. For a first effort its pretty good I suppose even though I have no interest in those video games. If his goal of the entire 1912 season does come about, it might be fun to watch some winter..

The yankees are only 6 out in the loss column, so they definitely arent out of it yet. I havent taken a chance to compare the schedules yet, I think that there may be some surprises come the deadline.

Cubbies are lookin good, this season is moving too fast....

Edited by mstar1

I dunno. If he can't get Babe Ruth right, what else is he shaky on? And if he's got the Babe knocking forearms, what's next, the Wave ?

As much as I like his renditon of Fenway, the rest of the graphics aren't that appealing. I wouldn't last long watching an entire season.

It's a nice idea, but he doesn't seem up to the task.

Derek Lowe gave up 6 runs in the first last night, and was lucky it wasn't more. He can be brilliant one day, and throw batting practice the next.

Bonds is knocking on the door now. I think the Giants are in Milwaukee next. Are they going to sit him until they get back to San Francisco?

But of course that picture is not from that day, as the Braves would not have been playing the Angels.

Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle.......

Somehow the players seemed bigger than life back then.

Maybe because we were just kids back then?

And hiway... every time I see your avatar, I'm thinking of the President (of the US)!

Sorry about that, Rocky. I can't help it if they look alike.

And yes, the fact that we were young made the players bigger, but I still think there were more 'giants' (both from SF and generally) than are in the game now.

and that was before steroids! Yes, I agree with you.

The Braves, Dodgers, and Angels are reportedly the most aggressive clubs in Teixeira talks, with the Yankees, Red Sox, Giants, and Orioles lurking as well.

I can't really see them trading him within the division... and if the Orioles can wait another year and a half they'll get him anyway...

The Braves, Dodgers, and Angels are reportedly the most aggressive clubs in Teixeira talks, with the Yankees, Red Sox, Giants, and Orioles lurking as well.

I can't really see them trading him within the division... and if the Orioles can wait another year and a half they'll get him anyway...

What about Gagnon, er... Gagne?

What about Gagnon, er... Gagne?

well.. I don't know what Mark G is doing but Gagne is putting out a lot of "I want to stay here" noise... I don't know that everyone is convinced he's stable yet... but Tex, he's a strong commodity... and Lofton and Sosa can help a team as well...

Has anybody been watching that show on ESPN 'the Bronx is Burning'? When I saw that it was going to be on, I wrote it off as a baseball version of 'Playmakers' which drew the ire of several pro football players, including Peyton Manning. But I happened to catch about 10 or 15 minutes of it few nights ago and unlike 'Playmakers' it covers real people and real events.

If there's any truth to that, then Billy Martin was more pathetic than I knew. He was manager of the Tigers when I lived in MI and clearly there were issues. A lot of former Tiger players do not have much good to say about Martin and what it was like to play for him. They implied that the media went to great lengths to protect him (bail him out).

In 'Bronx is burning' he was talking to his mother on the phone and, yes he wouldn't take any guff from Reggie Jackson, but his mom had him like a puppet on a string. Pretty weird.

Edited by johniam

Well... this issue is NOW over and done. Tex to the Braves...

Why would the Braves need to replace Franco? He seems to be doing just fine at the tender age of 48!

Actually, all of the Braves looked :blink: healthy yesterday.

the Red Sox got Gagne. That seems really weird to me, but could be great for Boston, though the last thing Gagne wants is to be a set up man. I've never seen a team work with 2 top closers without something suffering.

Since Gagne brought his 'game over' graphics and 'welcome to the jungle' theme to Texas from LA. I wonder if Fenway will now be playing that stuff when he comes in. Will that play in Boston? Not if he's just pitching the 8th inning for sure.

Still, he's awesome when healthy, so maybe it'll work.

Well, the Dbacks succeeded in putting the game wherein the Braves' spanked 'em pretty bad -- behind them... beating the Padres 4-0 tonight.

No HRs for Bonds tonight... no 300th win for Glavine... no 500th HR for ARod... But a good night for the boys in Sedona Red.

well... we got a lot of prospects which I think is better than draft picks... we'll see how it all works out...

did you guys hear that Hicks offered Tex 8 years at $140m? ...would make him the fourth highest paid player, but that's not how you roll if you're true to Boras... you don't take the extension, you play the market... I don't really know if he's gonna get a better offer than that...

that move by the Bosox kinda puzzles me as well... but it's a nice luxury to have, maybe they want to try PoPo in the rotation again...

. . .

I did run into one guy who wants to recreate the entire 1912 season to watch, and other moments of importance before video and film was in use.

Heres his take on Ruths last HR as a member of the Red Sox at Fenway in 1919

. . .

Ruth hit, pitch, and played left field in the same game? I kinda like that.

When did AL pitchers start becoming just pitchers? Is there anyone that can remember that time? Did players not always "specialize" in a position? i.e. ss vs. center?

The designated hitter rule in the American League began in 1973. At the time, they were desperate for more hitting, and most of the games big hitters were in the NL. It wasn't a good idea then, and is totally unnecessary now, especially since the AL is the dominant league.

Most of us here are certainly old enough to remember pre DH days.

There has never been a time when it was common for a pitcher to play other positions. The Babe was rare in that he could do it all. He was just too good a hitter to remain a pitcher.

The designated hitter rule in the American League began in 1973. At the time, they were desperate for more hitting, and most of the games big hitters were in the NL. It wasn't a good idea then, and is totally unnecessary now, especially since the AL is the dominant league.

Most of us here are certainly old enough to remember pre DH days.

There has never been a time when it was common for a pitcher to play other positions. The Babe was rare in that he could do it all. He was just too good a hitter to remain a pitcher.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Obviously still rare, there have been a few good hitting pitchers in recent times... Mike Hampton (is he still around?) for one.

Carlos Zambrano has a couple of HRs this year and is batting .291.

Dbacks rookie Micah Owings fancies himself a hitter, carries himself as if he knows what to do with the bat, and hit his first major league HR last week. He started yesterday at SD, pitched well and hit a single and a double off of Wells. Owings raised his batting avg (I think) to .235 yesterday. Which is quite respectable for a pitcher.

guess I should start paying more attention to the National League.

No big deal... I only pay attention to the AL when something big is in the news (A-Rod's 500th) or Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN HD is an AL game... oh, and interleague games too... but that's over for this season... until October!

Looks like the Yankers are staying close to the RedSox and/or looking to get the wild card spot...

It was a big night for baseball in SoCal tonight... Hank Aaron is no longer the undisputed HR king. Not that Barry will be UNdisputed after his next one.

And the Dbacks now lead the Dodgers by 3 games... and I haven't seen which team won in San Diego tonight (it's gone at least 11 innings).

my boy told me A-Rod did it !!!!!

sowwy if this was covered already :)

Your son is correct. He did it on the same day that Barry Bonds tied Hank Aaron for the all time HR record.

And THAT (those two milestones for Bonds and A-Rod happening on the same day) will live on for all of baseball eternity as part of the lore of the game. As will the * asterisk that many baseball fans will hold in their minds, even if it doesn't get posted into the record books, for Bonds.

And at 32 years of age, A-Rod is widely thought of as being the favorite to overtake Aaron and (ultimately, because it's almost a certainty that Bonds will hit at least one more HR in his career) Bonds. A-Rod, staying healthy and maintaining even close to his current pace will hit more than 800 before he turns 40.

Bonds may need two asterisks ... I hadn't seen this before, but here is an article on the mechanical device Bonds wears. It seems to be much more than just protection.

1) The apparatus is hinged at the elbow. It is a literal "hitting machine" that allows Bonds to release his front arm on the same plane during every swing. It largely accounts for the seemingly magical consistency of every Bonds stroke.

2) The apparatus locks at the elbow when the lead arm is fully elongated because of a small flap at the top of the bottom section that fits into a groove in the bottom of the top section. The locked arm forms a rigid front arm fulcrum that allows extraordinary, maximally efficient explosion of the levers of Bonds' wrists. Bonds hands are quicker than those of average hitters because of his mechanical "assistant."

3) When Bonds swings, the weight of the apparatus helps to seal his inner upper arm to his torso at impact. Thus "connected," he automatically hits the ball with the weight of his entire body - not just his arms - as average hitters ("extending") tend to do.

There are six others listed, besides that it is so much pading that he is not afraid to lean over the plate.