GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Good luck Linda

I actually like your chances

Sabathia and Carmona are as good a 1-2 as there is in the league--- in a short series they will be tough...very tough.

of course I just watched a masterful 4 hit complete game shutout by Josh Beckett so Im feeling pretty good right at the moment and willing to spread it around

but I really do like your chances

Good luck Linda

I actually like your chances

Sabathia and Carmona are as good a 1-2 as there is in the league--- in a short series they will be tough...very tough.

of course I just watched a masterful 4 hit complete game shutout by Josh Beckett so Im feeling pretty good right at the moment and willing to spread it around

but I really do like your chances

Oh, I got the TBS in HD thing figured out... but NOT resolved. Doesn't look like Dish Network is going to get off their a$$e$ and finish negotiations with Turner Broadcasting. ONE of the "if needed" games is scheduled for TNT, which has been in HD for a long time already, but it's not looking good for the rest of the NLDS or NLCS... the WS will be on FOX. And the only thing I watch on FOX (NO, NOT the "fixed news") is sports... and the WS WILL be in HD.

Anyway, the Rockies looked pretty solid and I caught a little bit of the Sox game... I hope the Angels don't just roll over... that wouldn't be exciting at all...

And LZ... I will definitely cheer for the Indians against the Yankers. :dance:

I hope the Angels don't just roll over... that wouldn't be exciting at all...

That wasnt a matter of the Angels rolling over so much as Beckett picking it up a huge notch to real playoff level play--He was dominant tonight- dominant

That being said, and I guess that I will just have to get used to it, the TBS coverage s**ks

4 different innings they overplayed commercials right into innings, missing pitches, had a lack of replays on questionable calls , and I am pretty sure the announcers didnt see either The Sox or the Angels all year long. They had a few canned stories that they told over and over, and missed obvious developments in the game ( They didnt announce defensive replacements nor who was warming in the bullpen), they had no crowd sounds to add to the atmosphere of the game...... ...AND....AND...If I have to continue to see those FrankTV commercials every half inning for the next few weeks... I.....I... just may have to stab someone with a fork... or something

:asdf:

BUT most importantly a classic breathtaking pitching performance by Josh Beckett tonight

1 down

10 to go

Edited by mstar1

That wasnt a matter of the Angels rolling over so much as Beckett picking it up a huge notch to real playoff level play--He was dominant tonight- dominant

That being said, and I guess that I will just have to get used to it, the TBS coverage s**ks

4 different innings they overplayed commercials right into innings, missing pitches, had a lack of replays on questionable calls , and I am pretty sure the announcers didnt see either The Sox or the Angels all year long. They had a few canned stories that they told over and over, and missed obvious developments in the game ( They didnt announce defensive replacements nor who was warming in the bullpen), they had no crowd sounds to add to the atmosphere of the game...... ...AND....AND...If I have to continue to see those FrankTV commercials every half inning for the next few weeks... I.....I... just may have to stab someone with a fork... or something

:asdf:

BUT most importantly a classic breathtaking pitching performance by Josh Beckett tonight

1 down

10 to go

That's what I figured... I just hope the Angels don't get discouraged for the next games and hope they make them exciting games (too, but in different ways).

All in all, a good first day of the playoffs!

Dbacks 3, Cubs 1

W Webb (1-0), L Marmol (0-1)

:dance::dance::dance:

Okay, maybe I wasn't paying good attention because CBS sportsline has the loss to Zambrano... I thought he left with no on on base.... I guess I missed that.

AND a save for Valverde!

I am still amazed at Becketts game last night..

For some historical perspective, that was his 3rd career postseason shutout.

Only Christy Matthewson, with 4, has more. The only other guys with 3 are Whitey Ford and Mordecai Brown.

I think this list speaks for itself.

He is only 27

Wow. just wow

I am still amazed at Becketts game last night..

For some historical perspective, that was his 3rd career postseason shutout.

Only Christy Matthewson, with 4, has more. The only other guys with 3 are Whitey Ford and Mordecai Brown.

I think this list speaks for itself.

He is only 27

Wow. just wow

Indeed, it does.

btw, has anyone else seen the news item that a woman with whom Bonds apparently had a 10 year long affair (that lasted into Bonds second marriage) has told Reuters that Bonds once admitted to her that he had used steroids?

The article also said that this woman will be in the Playboy magazine issue due to hit the newsstands this week.

No, but I saw why the Cubs lost game one ...

Confused Cubs Think They're Going To Arizona To Start Spring Training

PHOENIX—Chicago Cubs players reluctantly followed Coach Lou Pinella's orders to pack their equipment for a trip to Arizona Monday, causing many on the ball club to wonder why they were starting spring training nearly six months ahead of schedule.

"We must have done something right this season, though, because I heard our first exhibition game is already sold out."

Edited by rhino

No, but I saw why the Cubs lost game one ...

Confused Cubs Think They're Going To Arizona To Start Spring Training

PHOENIX—Chicago Cubs players reluctantly followed Coach Lou Pinella's orders to pack their equipment for a trip to Arizona Monday, causing many on the ball club to wonder why they were starting spring training nearly six months ahead of schedule.

"We must have done something right this season, though, because I heard our first exhibition game is already sold out."

You've found some really good insight THIS time! :biglaugh:

For Tom Strange --- if he is still with us..

HERES Gabe Kaplers playoff blogging.

I am only catching bits and pieces of the game in Cleveland,

Sabathia didnt have his normal command but still left with a 6 run lead. If they can get a win without an A game from Sabathia, they will be in a very very good position...

Cubs/ Diamondbacks game will start out on TNT instead of TBS, until the Indians are done spanking the yankees.

The Rockies continued today to show they belong, despite finishing behind the Diamondbacks by a whole 1/2 a game. I hope the big market announcers find the time to start knowing this team soon. But in the meanwhile the Rockies sontinue taking care of business.

Hopefully Saturday at home will end this series for them. I have tickets and it would be nice to celebrate their first playoff series that night.

Kaz Matsui missed being the first player ever to hit for the cycle in a playoff game by not getting a single. Hmm if the last foul ball into the corner had been fair, do you think he might have considered stopping at first even if he could make it to second?

Edited by HAPe4me

Cubs/ Diamondbacks game will start out on TNT instead of TBS, until the Indians are done spanking the yankees.

Kaz Matsui missed being the first player ever to hit for the cycle in a playoff game by not getting a single. Hmm if the last foul ball into the corner had been fair, do you think he might have considered stopping at first even if he could make it to second?

Only if he made it look good by stumbling over 1st base...

Thanks for the heads up about TNT....Rockies are looking very good....

yahoooo .... Cubs get a lead 2-0

yes, there are some cub fans at the game :eusa_clap:

You weren't counting chickens yet, were you? :biglaugh:

Of course there are some Cub fans at the game...

btw, I DID get to watch the FIRST INNING in HD tonight! :rolleyes:

All I can say is:

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

The Yankees looked a little surprised.

Hahahah Simon, I saw that commercial about Lofton moving and cracked up over the timing, too.

Oh, and sorry, Hap. I'm rooting for the Cubbies in the NL. If I heard correctly, it's been even longer for them than the Indians to have a World Series win.

All I can say is:

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

The Yankees looked a little surprised.

Hahahah Simon, I saw that commercial about Lofton moving and cracked up over the timing, too.

Oh, and sorry, Hap. I'm rooting for the Cubbies in the NL. If I heard correctly, it's been even longer for them than the Indians to have a World Series win.

Now LindaZ, that isn't nice at all... since I (and maybe others) are cheering the Indians, you turn around and root for the "bad guys" in the Dbacks' series! :confused:

How can you NOT root for the Cubs?

I wonder what the odds are for the Cubs winning this round now ... 20 to 1 ?

And of course it is natural to root against the Yankers ... they spend more on their top five guys than most do on the whole team.

Well, this site says the odds are 14-1 for the Cubs to win the world series I think.

Boston is 2-1

Rockies 3-1

Indians 7-2

Yankees 4-1

Arizona 7-1

1 New York Yankees $194,663,079

2 Boston Red Sox $120,099,824

3 Los Angeles Angels $103,472,000

4 Chicago White Sox $102,750,667

5 New York Mets $101,084,963

6 Los Angeles Dodgers $98,447,187

7 Chicago Cubs $94,424,499

8 Houston Astros $92,551,503

9 Atlanta Braves $90,156,876

10 San Francisco Giants $90,056,419

11 St. Louis Cardinals $88,891,371

12 Philadelphia Phillies $88,273,333

13 Seattle Mariners $87,959,833

14 Detroit Tigers $82,612,866

15 Baltimore Orioles $72,585,582

16 Toronto Blue Jays $71,915,000

17 San Diego Padres $69,896,141

18 Texas Rangers $68,228,662

19 Minnesota Twins $63,396,006

20 Washington Nationals $63,143,000

21 Oakland Athletics $62,243,079

22 Cincinnati Reds $60,909,519

23 Arizona Diamondbacks $59,684,226

24 Milwaukee Brewers $57,568,333

25 Cleveland Indians $56,031,500

26 Kansas City Royals $47,294,000

27 Pittsburgh Pirates $46,717,750

28 Colorado Rockies $41,233,000

29 Tampa Bay Devil Rays $35,417,967

30 Florida Marlins $14,998,500

So the Yankees spent twice as much as the Cubs, and about 40 million more than Arizona, Cleveland and the Rockies combined. That was 2006 ... it went down a little for 2007, but then they added Clemens at $20 mil, right?

Jason Giambi, NYY $23,428,571

2.Alex Rodriguez, NYY $22,708,525

3.Derek Jeter, NYY $21,600,000

4.Manny Ramirez, BOS $17,016,381

5.Todd Helton, COL $16,600,000

6.Andy Pettitte, NYY $16,000,000

7.Bartolo Colon, ANA $16,000,000

8.Jason Schmidt, LA $15,703,946

9.Barry Bonds, SF $15,533,970

10.Richie Sexson, SEA $15,500,000

11.Bobby Abreu, NYY $15,000,000

I see $100 million for the five Yankees there ... and Clemens was $20 million wasn't he, again that is 2006.

Now I see Clemens actually cost the Yankees 26 mil, if you count the "luxury tax" charged for exceed a certan team payroll amount. I think that means the top 5 yankees make more than all complete teams except Boston. The Cubs were at $99 million this year.

Edited by rhino

I'm not saying the Yankees don't spend a ton of money. Everyone knows that. I'm saying other teams are well on their way to catching up-including the Cubs, who really opened the wallet this season. If Arod had gone to the Sox, like he almost did, that would have about cut the difference between them and the Yankees.

I'm all for rooting for the teams with the least payroll. The Devil Rays should have drawn 4 million this year, and be facing Kansas City in the playoffs now. I do admire the Rockies, Dbacks and Indians for succeeding on grit and weak divisions.(well the AL central isn't weak-nobody seemed to want it this year). The reality in baseball is that today's spunky young cheap player is tomorrow's expensive free agent.

And the Red Sox are right on the heels of the Yankees in payroll.

Image is everything.

Right on the heels? Read it again...According to Rhino's stats, the Red Sox are actually closer in payroll at least 25 other teams than they are to the Yankees, and this is before the luxury taxes.

I am sure that the Red Sox owners would love nothing more than to field a team for 60 or 70 Million dollars, but in order to be competive in the AL EAST and take on the Yankee Deathstar they are in a position where they must spend some money or be mediocre both in baseball and as a business

All businesses have to spend money in order to be competitive and successful, baseball is no different.

That they were able overtake their chief competition and win the divison while spending a full third less after the luxury tax, than the Yankees, and having 1/20th of the population of NY to do it with,...( actually less than Baltimore, Milwaukee or Pittsburgh) speaks to their baseball and business abilities.

It is the Yankees that have driven the market to the stratosphere, Baseball needs someone to take on the Yankees, if only to show that that they can be defeated at a more reasonable rate and by a team from a smaller marketplace