GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Well... I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy watching this series either way... two young teams going at it...

(If you take off your Dback colored glasses though, you can see him push off (propel himself) with his food off the side of the base towards the left)

Excuse me, I saw what you refer to... he stumbled upon his foot hitting the bag. It happened far too quickly for him to have thought to push himself off with his foot so he could interfere with the fielder. :rolleyes:

2TdSdCbP.jpg

THAT is a stumble.

Excuse me, I saw what you refer to... he stumbled upon his foot hitting the bag. It happened far too quickly for him to have thought to push himself off with his foot so he could interfere with the fielder. :rolleyes:

2TdSdCbP.jpg

THAT is a stumble.

Like in politics, I can't even believe you are serious at times ... :biglaugh: But despite your biased photo ... :evildenk:

He pushed off the bag at about 90 degrees to give a full body block with the arm thrown up high.

Here is the ESPN bit ...

, running from first base, slid over second base and then rolled his right shoulder into second baseman Kaz Matsui's left leg, knocking the infielder to the ground. Second base umpire Larry Vanover immediately called Upton out for interference, resulting in a double play."I was just playing the game. I did what I was supposed to do," Upton said. "That's what you're taught to do when you slide is pop up.""It's his decision," he said. "I told him I was close to the bag."
Vanover wasn't buying that explanation."You had obvious intent on the part of the runner to break up the double play, and when it turns into intentional, that's when he's out for interference," he said."Once he got to the base, I thought he threw his hip up into the guy, and his intent at that point is not to get to the base. His intent is to crash the pivot man, so you've got obvious intent there," he said
.Said Hurdle: "It looked like a good, aggressive slide going in, and I thought he went out of his way to make contact."Upton, barely 20 years old, was in Class A when the season began, but on this big stage he didn't hesitate to let Vanover know how he felt in arguing the call."He's battling out there," Melvin said. "He's trying to take somebody out. He's trying to get us an extra out. He's trying to break up a double play. He was emotional about it."

2TdSdCbP.jpg

THAT is a stumble.

No.... a stumble would have sent him on past the bag towards the outfield... even the pic you posted is showing him leaping towards third base.

It's really very easy to see... he pushes off with his foot towards third base and the shortstop... at an angle perpendicular to where his momentum would've carried him...

It was an aggressive play, more power to him if he'd gotten away with it... he didn't though, so admit it and move on... there's no sin in that...

Like in politics, I can't even believe you are serious at times ... :biglaugh: But despite your biased photo ... :evildenk:

He pushed off the bag at about 90 degrees to give a full body block with the arm thrown up high.

Here is the ESPN bit ...

, running from first base, slid over second base and then rolled his right shoulder into second baseman Kaz Matsui's left leg, knocking the infielder to the ground. Second base umpire Larry Vanover immediately called Upton out for interference, resulting in a double play."I was just playing the game. I did what I was supposed to do," Upton said. "That's what you're taught to do when you slide is pop up.""It's his decision," he said. "I told him I was close to the bag."
Vanover wasn't buying that explanation."You had obvious intent on the part of the runner to break up the double play, and when it turns into intentional, that's when he's out for interference," he said."Once he got to the base, I thought he threw his hip up into the guy, and his intent at that point is not to get to the base. His intent is to crash the pivot man, so you've got obvious intent there," he said
.Said Hurdle: "It looked like a good, aggressive slide going in, and I thought he went out of his way to make contact."Upton, barely 20 years old, was in Class A when the season began, but on this big stage he didn't hesitate to let Vanover know how he felt in arguing the call."He's battling out there," Melvin said. "He's trying to take somebody out. He's trying to get us an extra out. He's trying to break up a double play. He was emotional about it."

As usual, your EYES are turning brown.

No.... a stumble would have sent him on past the bag towards the outfield... even the pic you posted is showing him leaping towards third base.

It's really very easy to see... he pushes off with his foot towards third base and the shortstop... at an angle perpendicular to where his momentum would've carried him...

It was an aggressive play, more power to him if he'd gotten away with it... he didn't though, so admit it and move on... there's no sin in that...

And I'M the one with filtered glasses? :blink: :rolleyes:

It was a BAD call.

I've already indicated I do NOT believe that call mattered in the outcome of the game. That's as close to what you'd like me to admit that I'm going to get.

No comment-- I have seen similar plays before but I do not recall it ever being called. I expect the pivotman (Tulowitski or Matsui)will drop down his arm slot to about face level in the future to cure Upton of his 'stumbling' though. If not in this series then next year. Clean or not, ( and I will add it looked cheap to me) that stuff doesnt fly for long in MLB

hahah the Diamondbacks forced the Rockies out of their mojo black jerseys.

Boston showed some stuff tonight.

~HAP

Boston indeed showed some stuff tonight.

I like the Dbacks in their black jerseys... if it helps to distract the Rockies, all the better... if it doesn't, I still like the Dbacks in Black.

And the second base umpire got the call correct THIS time (tonight, when Chris Young attempted to steal). Young DID beat the throw, but Tulowitzki blocked the bag with his foot and Young never hit the bag... had he anticipated (this, I hope he will learn for future reference, as he's STILL a rookie) it, he might have been able to make the slide differently... a feet first slide might have been nice! and it probably would have taught the rookie SS a hard lesson too.

Nevertheless, Davis hit the ball OVER CF Tavarez's head! and scored to tie the game at 1. Obviously, there will be more scoring... but the Dbacks, when they keep it close, have the advantage.

Rocky, I have a challenge for you. If you can go one week without YELLing in a post, I'll give you a quarter. Oh heack, I'll splurge. Make it a dollar! :asdf:

btw, IF I considered it YELLING, I WOULD take you up on your challenge... but thanks anyway. And if it makes you feel any better, just cover your ears when you read this thread! :biglaugh::dance:

The hard lesson being....????? don't put your foot where it belongs? the rookie shortstop has a heck of an arm don't he?

Yes, the hit you described was over the head of a shallow playing outfield, however that OTHER one did not get past him did it?

Anyway, great game, tied after 9. and once again the ump got the call right, Tulo was off the bag there in the 9th. It does not get much better than extra innings in a playoff game, unless its extra innings in a World Series game.

~HAP

The hard lesson being....????? don't put your foot where it belongs? the rookie shortstop has a heck of an arm don't he?

Yes, the hit you described was over the head of a shallow playing outfield, however that OTHER one did not get past him did it?

~HAP

No it didn't... And the runner scores from first if Tavarez misses that ball... outstanding range, outstanding catch.

The hard lesson being, IF Young had done a feet first slide, YES, don't put your foot there... because he probably would have a very sore leg, maybe broken at or just above the ankle.

Congrats to the Rockies and Rockies fans. Very good game tonight. Dbacks got beat. Except for Melvin overusing Valverde, the pitching staff did a very good job for the Dbacks tonight... Obviously, the same (almost) can be said for the Rockies' pitchers.

one word----------WHEW! Far from a perfect game by either team, yet there were some great highlight shots. I am surprised by the lack of strong hits by either team so far, must speak to the great pitching. Rockies have won 19 of their last 20 games, and THAT is remarkable.

I think Valverde's problem was that he stepped on the foul line fielding that weak tap down the third base line. He hates doing that, and danced trying to avoid it.

SOooooooo... off to Coors Field for three games (if 3 are needed). Did I hear no team has come back from losing the first two at home in a championship series? It ain't over till its over, but it will be tough for Ari-zone-a to come back against a team in a zone like the Rockies are playing. It's ROCKTOBER!

~HAP

Congrats to the Rockies and Rockies fans. Very good game tonight. Dbacks got beat. Except for Melvin overusing Valverde, the pitching staff did a very good job for the Dbacks tonight... Obviously, the same (almost) can be said for the Rockies' pitchers.

Thanks Rocky

Your team has GOT to stop those base running errors. I understand the zeal of youth, but dang, those things hurt.

The Red Sox certainly spanked us in the first game. It was difficult to watch. CC sure didn't bring his best stuff, and their pitchers kept us from giving him any kind of comfort zone so he'd settle down and do what he can do when he's on his game. Carmona was a lot cooler under pressure than Sabathia against the Yankees, so I'm hoping that trend continues tonight.

And Rocky, this is emphasis, or *this* or this. THIS, on the other hand, is considered yelling. Consult any Internet etiquette guidelines. :P

CC looked like he was overthrowing a bit, which I suppose would be natural being all hepped up for a playoff game and couldnt quite find his groove, even though he struck out the side in the second.

I think the Red Sox batters deserve some credit though, they were very disciplined at the plate and strung (strang? stringed?) together great at bats. I only remember three bad pitches being swung at all night.

Carmona's gonna be tough, real tough, he has come a long way this year. Hopefully from my side Schilling will pitch like he can, have his good command, and just make good pitches tonight. This year you never know who will show up, but he does step it up in big games and has reinvented his whole approach...

We'll see ---Good Luck

MStar, you're absolutely right about Boston's hitters. You've got some great ones.

I miss Manny. Could we have him back? Please? Pretty please? Just for the next coupla weeks? I used to stick up for him when everyone was badmouthing him here in the 90s. He marches to the beat of a different drummer, but he gets the job done, that's for sure!

So congrats to your team, MStar. I'm hoping you'll be congratulating me tomorrow! Not only because I want my team to win, but because it will be darn boring if Boston just keeps steamrolling us. Although nerve wracking, the close games against the Yankees were a heck of a lot more exciting than what happened last night.

There is no one on earth who is quite like Manny, I have enjoyed watching him every minute of the last 6 years, he is an absolutely unique, and endearing character from his very own planet and when he gets in the groove (which he is right now) there is no one anywhere that I would rather see hit, and not just because Im a Red Sox fan but because he is probably the purest natural hitter I have ever seen.

When the Manny era ends in Boston I am really going to miss it....Id lend him out but only if i can get cable Cleveland, he is way too much fun to see everyday...

The Red Sox are well prepared and have moved their game up a notch ( well a few notches really) in the playoffs. It makes for really well played baseball so everybody better bring their best.

As much as I would like to win this year, it is not as urgent to me as its been in the past., I understand what its like to go for decades upon decades of almosts and not even closes. Of course I'd like to win, but what it does for a city is almost aform of redemption

If I end up congratulating you, I'll be thinking of your grandfather in his red leather chair beating the TV, yelling for the Indians game during a tornado..my conratulations to you will be for him and all the other similar stories from Tribe fans as well.

Good Luck

O --and since I just think its a great picture (its my playoff avatar as well) here is Manny being Manny just last week

BDD_MR_game2hr_1-.5.07_gett.jpg

Edited by mstar1

There is no one on earth who is quite like Manny, I have enjoyed watching him every minute of the last 6 years, he is an absolutely unique, and endearing character from his very own planet and when he gets in the groove (which he is right now) there is no one anywhere that I would rather see hit, and not just because Im a Red Sox fan but because he is probably the purest natural hitter I have ever seen.

That's why I enjoy watching him... I remember when the BoSox were in town last year and he was out in left with those Oakley MP3 sunglasses on during the game...

...and he's not that bad of a LF either, that catch last night in the early innings... he made it look effortless...

The Red Sox certainly spanked us in the first game. It was difficult to watch. CC sure didn't bring his best stuff, and their pitchers kept us from giving him any kind of comfort zone so he'd settle down and do what he can do when he's on his game. Carmona was a lot cooler under pressure than Sabathia against the Yankees, so I'm hoping that trend continues tonight.

And Rocky, this is emphasis, or *this* or this. THIS, on the other hand, is considered yelling. Consult any Internet etiquette guidelines. :P

Nope... If I do a whole sentence in all caps, then I'd be yelling. And I don't do that... wouldn't want to hurt my voice, ya know! :blink: :dance:

I've been consistent in my use of caps... I also use italics, boldface and color (not to mention font size) for emphasis, however, at times. :) Still, you're certainly welcome to use ear plugs or to cover your ears if it's that bothersome. It seems to me that font size could be considered yelling sometimes also.... though that's not MY intent.

Thanks Rocky

Your team has GOT to stop those base running errors. I understand the zeal of youth, but dang, those things hurt.

You are SOOOOOOOO right on that one.

Them Rockies are -- as some news headlines are already saying -- looking like a team of destiny.

Generally, when a team is overmatched, THAT is when the mistakes happen, are more pronounced, and obviously -- matter or have more impact on a given game. Heck, even the AL champ Tigers in last year's WS looked marginal because of the pitchers' fielding problems.

If the Dbacks don't bounce back in this series, I'd expect -- especially with Gibson playing the role of Manager Melvin's enforcer -- to see emphasis in spring training on baserunning tactics/strategies/fundamentals.

Clearly, baserunning hasn't been the biggest problem. If they don't get the timely hits, they don't get the baserunners... and in the last two games, they didn't get the timely hits. ONE came close, but the CF came out of nowhere to rob Tony Clark of an rbi double. That could have sparked a key rally. Btw, if the same line drive had been hit by most of the other Dbacks position players (OR Micah Owings), and fallen in, it wouldn't have been a double... that was looking like ball that often goes for three bases in that stadium.

Anyway, the Rockies DO look like a team of destiny thus far. And the Dbacks look like the team of overachievers whose youth and overall inexperience might finally be catching up to them.

If I sound "resigned" to a Dbacks NLCS loss, I am... better than expecting them to win it all only to be disappointed. I'll still watch and :eusa_clap: cheer and be happy for every win.

btw, Tony Clark's play last night demonstrated that he's far from washed up. His defense is superb and his bat has been tremendous for the team the last two seasons. If anyone wants to wonder about his batting average (circa .250 for the season), look at the number of HRs and RBIs compared to the number of at bats. 17 HRs in limited play. Full time CF Chris Young hit 32 HRs with a BA of less than .240.

That's why I enjoy watching him... I remember when the BoSox were in town last year and he was out in left with those Oakley MP3 sunglasses on during the game...

...and he's not that bad of a LF either, that catch last night in the early innings... he made it look effortless...

Manny gets some bad rap from out of towners at times because of his Mannyness, his oddities and idiosynchrocies, but despite his little kidness he works very hard.

This postseason (so far) He and David Ortiz are

12/19 with 16 BB and a HBP, 1 2B, 4 HR, 10 RBI, 12 R, combined .632 Average .806 On base percentage

Ortiz is more impressive with his .778/. 889 with Manny at a paltry .500/.722.

Almost impressive as the Rockies streak :) :wink2:

Its not all blasts either, two of Manny's big atbats last night were working bases loaded walks after falling behind both times 0-2. It wasnt very sexy but it was impressive. I like someone working a walk when down 0-2

The first one was a real turning point when the game was tied. Its the little things done well that win playoff games

Its not all blasts either, two of Manny's big atbats last night were working bases loaded walks after falling behind both times 0-2. It wasnt very sexy but it was impressive. I like someone working a walk when down 0-2

The first one was a real turning point when the game was tied. Its the little things done well that win playoff games

Yeah, I saw those walks... they were impressive. And accounted for 2 key rbi's! Excellent plate discipline.

a little :offtopic:

So far this has been the most relaxing postseason that I have ever lived through, none of the gut wrenching anguish and mideval torture of past years has happened this year which I am liking alot..

A nonbaseball fan has just invited themselves over to watch tonights game which is throwing me way off, Like alot of baseball fans I have my pregame, game, and postgame rituals and I hate to mess with a good thing especially during a good streak

Do you guys/ladies have any game rituals?

a little :offtopic:

So far this has been the most relaxing postseason that I have ever lived through, none of the gut wrenching anguish and mideval torture of past years has happened this year which I am liking alot..

A nonbaseball fan has just invited themselves over to watch tonights game which is throwing me way off, Like alot of baseball fans I have my pregame, game, and postgame rituals and I hate to mess with a good thing especially during a good streak

Do you guys/ladies have any game rituals?

Just to make sure the satellite signal is coming strong and everything's working. :blink: :biglaugh::dance: