GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

that would surprise me frankly. but then, he also added the 21 of 22 record, and, put together, that might never have been done before.

I liked the "we have unfinished business" line.

~HAP

(edited to correct the fact that I have only 10 fingers and 10 toes, and thus have trouble keeping count beyond that)

Edited by HAPe4me

The guy said they swept their way to the world series, and that had never been done ...

not sure if that was never done in national league, or both leagues ...

According to this chart

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7338876

it has never been done by anyone before. to sweep both series enroute to the World Series. The Rockies also won a one game "series" over San Diego to get into the playoffs.

top of the 8th- now we have a ballgame!

~HAP

Not anymore. :unsure:

R.I.P. Dbacks' 2007 season! :love3: It was a good one.

Congrats Hap, I hope your Rockies don't get stale waiting for the ALCS to finish.

Yes, THAT error pretty much cost the game. Owings had a situation he could manage up to that point.

NL Manager of the Year

October 15, 2007 - 11:43PM

D-Backs notebook: Peers pick Melvin manager of year

Jack Magruder, Tribune

DENVER - Bob Melvin’s peers recognized the work he did in leading the Diamondbacks to the NL West pennant this season, voting him manager of the year in balloting conducted by The Sporting News. (continued)

--------

Congrats to Bob Melvin, NL Manager of the Year. :eusa_clap:

O gees this time of year is tough

coaster_330.JPG

Im not feeling it from the Sox right now, amazing what a difference that a few days can make. Not to take anything away from Westbrook but the plate discipline that they had all the way through the Angels series has disappeared.

After having the bases loaded and no outs and not scoring and then the HR by Lofton, (JD Drew got at least an inch and a half off the ground going for that ball), I felt as if 2007 was slipping away....bad baserunning, no clutch hitting....ughh....

The Rockies remind me of a little league team in their excitement at what they are doing. Remember when the love of the game and team accomplishment were the biggest things in a boy's life? I thrill to watch the those kids, especially the 10- 12 year olds. I especially like stopping in a park field and watching a pickup game by the youngsters, organized by themselves as they leave school. I wish it happened more often.

Thats been an off and on thing for the 07 Sox, the 04's definitely had that feel. The 07's are exciting at times, other times they look --I dunno a little too professional or something, which is Ok it just lacks that elusive <something>

That excitement and simplicity cant be overlooked as to what makes a team great...i was seeing it last night in Cleveland......of course it could show up tomorrow----but Im not seeing it right now....these rollercoaster rides can be a b!tch

Anyway Congrats to the Rocks!!

I'll be on the road for a few days to New Jersey and be out of touch, I'll get you when Im back

time for prayers...and hits from the bottom of the order

Hey Rocky and Simon... congrats to your Dbacks on making the post season (really)!

Please tell Mr Byrnes to keep his comments about luck out of the media!

The Rockies did everything that the Dbacks seemed to forget (what got them there)... namely play good, solid, foundational baseball...

They played pretty much flawless defense.

They hit what the pitchers were giving them (plate discipline, going with pitches).

They didn't make base running errors.

They made their own "luck".

They're riding an amazing streak... the only way it continues in the WS (against either team) is if they keep it up...

Congrats to the Rockies! I have a feeling this other series is not over (duh)... unless Manny and Papi go into a slump (not likely)

Edited by Tom Strange

Question for members of "the nation":

Why are you all so upset about Gagne when Dice-K can't even get out of the fifth inning?

Dice-K cares. He stared off into space for an hour or more while reporters waited for a response. He was upset. I'll support him for that. He wants to change.

I don't know that gagne gives a hoot.

Hey Rocky and Simon... congrats to your Dbacks on making the post season (really)!

Please tell Mr Byrnes to keep his comments about luck out of the media!

The Rockies did everything that the Dbacks seemed to forget (what got them there)... namely play good, solid, foundational baseball...

They played pretty much flawless defense.

They hit what the pitchers were giving them (plate discipline, going with pitches).

They didn't make base running errors.

They made their own "luck".

They're riding an amazing streak... the only way it continues in the WS (against either team) is if they keep it up...

Congrats to the Rockies! I have a feeling this other series is not over (duh)... unless Manny and Papi go into a slump (not likely)

You pretty much boiled it down to the least common denominator.

At this point, I gotta figure the Rockies are going to play better in the WS than either the Cards or Tigers did last year... and that each of two AL teams can give us a good WS matchup... :dance:

And I expect Eric Byrnes is going to (and it's surely already started) hear about what may have been locker room bulletin board material for the Rockies... :doh: and hopefully he'll learn from his verbal mistakes.

I believe the Dbacks have a solid core of talented players to build on for next year... I can't imagine they'll make major changes, though some tweaking would be appropriate... and just like the Tigers put additional emphasis on PFPs (pitchers' fielding practice) in the spring, the Dbacks will hopefully put some emphasis on baserunning in various situations.

At this point, I gotta figure the Rockies are going to play better in the WS than either the Cards or Tigers did last year...

Yeah, last year the Cardinals won and I felt like "That's it? That's all there is to winning the World Series?"

It was great they won, certainly better than their tailspin against the Red Sox a couple years before that ... but it didn't have that pinnacle of baseball feeling to it ...

Dice-K cares. He stared off into space for an hour or more while reporters waited for a response. He was upset. I'll support him for that. He wants to change.

I don't know that gagne gives a hoot.

I don't know... I think Gagne cares... I think it's more because he's an older, seasoned veteran who knows that there are gonna be times like this... it comes with the territory.

I do think that he's got a serious case of "Im a closer - itis" though... and fights the negativity that's been brought on by his (lack of) performance.

But... Dice-K is supposed to be Japan's supreme professional and the next best greatest pitcher... and should be able to get out of the fifth inning... something he's failed to do so far in the post season...

And I'm really surprised that "the nation" hasn't gotten on him... I mean, Schilling is old and more than halfway down the back side slope of his career, so he can be forgiven (that and the fact that he willed them to win in 2004)... but Dice-K? He's the 150 million dollar investment to guarantee that the WS banner comes back to Baaahston this year...

Yeah, last year the Cardinals won and I felt like "That's it? That's all there is to winning the World Series?"

It was great they won, certainly better than their tailspin against the Red Sox a couple years before that ... but it didn't have that pinnacle of baseball feeling to it ...

So, rhino, did ya get yur HD upgrade installed yet? No doubt you'll enjoy baseball games more... with HD, it's BETTER than being at the game. :dance:

They were no shows Sunday, but came this AM ... I got four bedrooms hooked up ... I drilled the holes and he gave me the box of wire, so I ran all that ... but I got the good connects so that was sweet ... :) Anyway ... I've watched

Nascar and the motorcycles and skiing in Utah ... pretty awesome ...

So yeah, get to watch baseball hi def tonight ... I may never leve home ;)

Being at the game would be better for atmosphere, playing, etc. but you can see it better this way, and I decided paying so much for season tickets for the Saints and dealing with traffic and parking and crowds ... and $5.00 beer with lines ... HD IS better :)

Edited by rhino

so far RUSH is pretty cool ...

it is full screen RUSH Limbaugh ... I bet Rocky loves it LOL

but no .. it is like the Rush of watching cool shots of sports stuff ... really incredible ...

I improved my reception 50 points by bending the install a little :) bozo ...

well, sheet, it is on FOX and not HD, as far as I can tell ...

Edited by rhino

If you got DirectTV, you got their new box and it would have two channels there for your local FOX (if it broadcasts in HD), wherever they have two channels next to each other, with the same number, the HD channel is the first one...

If your locals do broadcast HD and they're not on your DTV box you can get an HD antenna but then you'd have to run lines from it to all of the sets...