GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Interesting... from MLB.com:

I HOPE, really HOPE, that since he has already 'opted out' that this doesn't mean that the stRangers will be back on the hook for part of his salary...

I expect Rocky will be here soon to tell us who won Manager of the year... but you have to announce both leagues Rocky.

You know who won!

AL -- Eric Wedge

NL -- Bob Melvin

Both did a great job this season.

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

No word yet on NL Cy Young?

How long has it been since they announced Sabathia won the AL?

and there is not one stRanger fan in the 'metroplex' that wouldn't welcome Hunter with open arms!

I would think most observant baseball fans in any big league city would do the same! :blink:

well, it appears that Arod and the Yankees are talking again. sigh.

Oh well, Girardi may have to figure out how to win with probably the best hitter after all.

From what I read, it sounds like Arod did an end run behind Boras' back and called the Yankees himself. The figure quotes (250 mil) is considerably less than the original asking price ( but still several kings ransoms-I just can't fathom this kind of wealth).

One wonders if it was becoming clear that noone would meet the demands, or if Arod had a sudden burst of sanity, which seems uncharacteristic.

It will be interesting to see how Boras reacts.If Arod's defection were to somehow spread, it would be a contribution to baseball bigger than all his home runs and mvp's combined.

It would be good for baseball if Boras gets ousted.

Other than that this whole episode has been kind of pathetic.

From the announcement during the World Series (everybody look at meeee!! I neeeed your attention!!! I am vewwy important!!!

to this crawling back to the yankees thing, like he really doesnt have any idea what he wants -- is all looking like some sort of bad soap opera.

Psychologists watching from a distance must be having a field day with this

I hope he signs somewhere soon, I dont really care where, just so its over

I also read last night that the Yanks are interested in Lowell at first

Wha???? are they serious?

Lowell has played in 1,262 games and has spent not even one minute at first base.

I have no idea what this is about. A lot of Lowell's value is tied up in his glove at third.

Can he learn a new position at age 34? And are the Yanks serious about playing him $15 per for three or four years to do it? Does Lowell even want to play first?

Bizarre.

One thing is for sure: the "Hank and Hal" era in NY is off to an entertaining start.

or if Arod had a sudden burst of sanity, which seems uncharacteristic.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

had me rolling on the floor

that should go in the classic lines file

Edited by mstar1

didnt Palmiero win the Gold Glove one year when he spent most of the year DH'ing?

I believe you are correct sir.

I was just looking again... I didn't realize that for the last 7 years (01-07) Ichiro & Torii have won 2 of the 3 OF gloves.

Can he learn a new position at age 34? And are the Yanks serious about playing him $15 per for three or four years to do it? Does Lowell even want to play first?

It's a move that's more common than you'd think... one that comes to mind is Teixeira never played a lick at first until he got to the bigs...

Congrats to Wedge and Melvin, both seem like 'good guys'... let's hope they're still employed in two years...

It does appear (from what I've read) that ARod is doing this "on his own"... but I don't think he'd cut out Boras as it would lead to a terrible & messy lawsuit... but I suspect (as do the Yankees) that it's just a ploy to draw the NYY money into the negotiations with other teams... like Emmit says "a leopard doesn't change it's stripes"!

My guess is that they were interested in Lowell, then suddenly Arod came knocking on the door, hat in hand. They may have then speculated about getting Lowell anyway, thinking a move to first not that unusual for a player his age. The Dodgers did it with Nomar, and I remember Mickey Mantle moving to first as his legs gave out.

Having said that, I wouldn't do it. Why go after a position player , and give him a big contract , just to move him somewhere else ? Maybe they just want to pry Lowell from the Sox.

Maybe they just want to pry Lowell from the Sox.

That would be interesting.

there has been alot of that type of gamesmanship the last several years between the Sox and Yanks. i expect other teams may do it also within their divisions but it is not so publicized that I pay that much attention.

To me its a good sign, (if its true that is..) that the Yanks are as much concerned about making a move to attempt to hinder the Red Sox as they would be to be improving themselves....

If its true, its good to be 'in their head'....

There is alot of bluster, and smoke and mirrors this time of year, Its hard to know what or who to believe, or the exact angles and strategies they are playing..but in an odd way I do find it very entertaining--Its almost like watching a bunch of poker players bluffing, folding, holding and drawing ---or a 30 way chess match.

doesnt mean much but

I found a good quote yesterday:

" When I was young, a friend and I were talking about our dreams for the future. I told him that I wanted to be a professional baseball player, like the great Honus Wagner. He told me that he wanted to be the President of The United States.

---Neither of our dreams came true"

Dwight Eisenhower

Edited by mstar1

I've assumed the Yankees and Red Sox were in each others heads for years. The east is those 2 teams and 'everyone else'.

I miss the days when the Orioles were a real force, and the Blue Jays had a few good years, but can't quite get there the rest of the time. The Rays (NOT the Devil Rays anymore) have the misfortune of being in the division, and seem to be 'cannon fodder' for the rest of the league.

That Eisenhower quote is both funny and thought provoking.

" When I was young, a friend and I were talking about our dreams for the future. I told him that I wanted to be a professional baseball player, like the great Honus Wagner. He told me that he wanted to be the President of The United States.

---Neither of our dreams came true"

Dwight Eisenhower

I wonder who the friend was?

I dont know

Joe Dimaggio?

:biglaugh: NAH

i have no idea

As far as the east goes. The Red Sox and yanks do push each other, but the other teams could be better, The Jays were second in 06, but always seem to be fighting off a key injury or two and seem to never get the years that could happen out of some of their players. Something never quite clicks with them over a season for some reason..

The Rays actually are alot better than people give them credit for, Im not going to look up the numbers right now but their starting pitching actually was amazingly good this year (Im a big Scott Kazmir fan) but they had huge bullpen holes and their relief pitching was horrid which handed most of their season away. The Defense had some gaps, but they really arent all that far imo away from being a very good team if they play their cards right.

I dont know whats up with the O's, they jumped out one year for about three months or so ( I cant remember if it was 05 or 06) but fell off the chart pretty quick after that---- they seem to have a lot of internal problems or something...or at least thats what I hear and remember out of Baltimore more than a few times a year--it seems like I hear a lot of stupid squabbles--....

Like a lot of teams they just dont seem to have an overall coherent plan, and seem, for now at least, to be content to finish in the middle of the pack somewhere.

I dont know--its a big challenge to take on the east but it can be done, (Ive actually seen it done :) )maybe some key guy for them will get a fire under his a$$, not be intimidated by the idea, and patiently put all the pieces together and go for it...

................................................................................

are you sick of it yet?

New York Times

"Yanks Should Treat Rodriguez the Way He Treated Them"

The Yankees should imitate Vince Lombardi, when his Super Bowl-winning center, Jim Ringo, had the audacity to hire an agent for salary negotiations. According to legend, Lombardi left his office for a few minutes and came back and informed Ringo that he would have to negotiate with the Eagles, because he had just been traded...

...Alex Rodriguez let his agent opt out for him, right during the World Series. Now the Yankees should opt out on him

:eusa_clap:

This isnt some ragmag-this is The New York Times.

somehow this whole fiasco would seem just if he ended up signing for less than he was going to get on his option

:biglaugh: Now that would be perfect!

....I suppose this is what happens when the best player in baseball had a daddy that walked out for cigarettes and never came back.

Edited by mstar1

well a-rod's still a yankee,,, looks like he never wanted to leave. that agent really screwed up.

and bonds is indicted..

How have we reached the point where it is a big deal if an athlete uses steroids?

Emphasis added by ME! Perhaps this should be its own thread!?

And, nandon, I don't have the answer to YOUR question. :confused:

But Bonds was NOT indicted for steroid use. He was indicted for giving false testimony to a grand jury.

It just happens that the testimony was about steroid use.

Barry Bonds indicted - November 15, 2007

How have we reached the point where it is a big deal if an athlete uses steroids?

I'll let someone else handle that.

Im sure Tom or Hiway could handle it better than me, Ive said my piece pages and pages ago of what I think of Bonds, Im sick of the whole thing.

but just for the record

he was indicted for lying to a grand jury and obstruction of justice--which are very serious charges.

The ESPN legal analyst said any sentence for a conviction for charges like these, " is measured in years, not months."

The only thing that ticks me off is that it came a year too late, and we had to put up with that bogus HRchase fiasco for a good part of the summer..

(well 20 years too late really)

Say hello to OJ for us Barry!

Edited by mstar1

Emphasis added by ME! Perhaps this should be its own thread!?

well... this is where we talk all things baseball... but we could ignore the obvious (Barry Bonds is a liar and a cheat) and go on...

As to the steroids? A local TV sports guy went off just the other night (as the story of a local trainer with alleged ties to Cowboys and Falcons was trying to get a plea bargain) on the steroid issue. His take: In a perfect world, why not just offer everyone amnesty, have them all 'come clean' and then set horrendous penalties for any future use? That's his perfect world.

The way I would answer your question? I think they (or something akin to them at the time) have always been in sports. Sadly, it's the nature of the beast. Hopefully, those that are using them will stick out like a sore thumb and get caught.

In a perfect world, why not just offer everyone amnesty, have them all 'come clean' and then set horrendous penalties for any future use? That's his perfect world.
Didnt Giambi fess up a few years ago and recieve no repercussions?

Bonds' crime is lying about it to a grand jury.

FWIW-im also glad the ARod thing is over 10/275mil plus bonuses and perks... :rolleyes: (yup a man with a quarter of a billion has to have his perks ...)

Two fiascos over in one day

thankyoujesusthankyouthankyouthankyou

Not that this has much to do with anything but while we are on controversy I may as well throw THIS out which also was from today.

New York City's quintessential A-list superstar, Yankees captain Derek Jeter, is in trouble with the taxman for claiming he resided in Florida during some of biggest years of his Big Apple career.

New York state tax officials want Jeter to fork over what could be millions of dollars in back taxes and interest for the years 2001 to 2003, when the baseball shortstop claimed residency in Florida, despite his high-profile presence in New York’s sports and gossip pages during that time.

oops E-6

Edited by mstar1

I guess we're going back to Weaver, which certainly ages me. The Orioles in the 60's and 70's were almost a 'dynasty'. I was never an Oriole 'fan', but you had to respect them. It 's a shame to see franchises tank like they have.

I was something of a Kansas City Royals fan in the George Brett era, and wish they could figure out how to compete in todays crazy market. I thought the Twins had figured it out and now they're losing Hunter and probably Santana, so there you are.

The Jeter thing could open a huge can of worms for alot of players. How many players live in different states than the team they play for? I'd guess a large percentage, especially these days when players change teams so often. Are all these players paying taxes for 2 states? What am I missing here ?

I guess we're going back to Weaver, which certainly ages me. The Orioles in the 60's and 70's were almost a 'dynasty'. I was never an Oriole 'fan', but you had to respect them.

I was never an actual "fan" at the time, except by default. When Bob Short shipped the Senators out to you know where, I drove up to a few oriole games. despite driving up from the Viginia suburbs of Washington, the drive up to old memmorial stadium was relatively easy, considering I had to drive through a big chunk of Baltimore. Short of expressways, nothing could ever beat the amazingly synchronized lights on the one way streets I drove up on.

:biglaugh: good visual on the one way streetsa through Baltimore

was that by plan or accident?

Are all these players paying taxes for 2 states? What am I missing here ?

Im not a tax attorney, not even close but Im sure that it gets very complicated, every state has its own rules, plus there are special rules for athletes who actually earn their money all over the country in many different states.

I was a little surprised to find out that they owe state taxes in all the states that they play on the money that they earn while they are there (ie for 9 games in Fenway each year Jeter owes Mass State Income tax for those 9 games earnings while in Massachusetts).

Plus they do generally live in two or more places, or like alot of wealthy people maintain some shell residence in a tax free state.

It gets way too complicated for me

Id bet that at his earning level he has at least one (maybe more)fulltime tax accountants who is playing all the nuances and stretching the laws where he thinks he can..... My guess is its probably a matter of the interpretation of the law between his accountants and the NY Dept of Revenue who'll go to court fuss and moan and come to some agreement about it.

I dont

think its that huge of a deal, at least I hope not, probably just another NY accountant playing too loose and Jeter (who may or may not know it was actually an issue)a little too high profile for the state to ignore it.

Edited by mstar1

It's true, they do owe taxes in all of those states.. but usually they can get a reciprocal credit similar to the credit you get on federal taxes for the state taxes you pay (or something like that, I live in Tx where there's no state tax)... additionally there are CITY income taxes (Philadelphia comes to mind, Chicago too I think)... I remember a big to-do a few years ago where the city of Phil wanted the teams to pay the taxes before they left the city... so I suppose it can get messy... Florida has no state income tax either...

i admit don't know much about these things but I imagine it would iron itself out as long as the Cap'n pays up and doesnt pull a Leona Helmsley and say or do something stupid which I cant see him doing.

I see the press conference like this:

"blah blah blah slight misunderstanding blahblah oversight has been cleared up blahblahblah im honored to be a part of the City of New York blah blah blah"