GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

There is a lot of music at Fenway as I suppose there is at all MLB Parks now--some I look forward too and like (When Papelbon leaves the bullpen to enter a game Wild Thing plays, He stops at the edge of the infield, is announced and

plays as he warms up..It gets the blood and drama pumping---Other times things are overdone and annoying. I dont think every single batter needs or should have intro music.

I do like the Sox 'anthem'.

which is played right after Dirty Water and gives fans
:)

Im not sure if other teams have official anthems or not

There is a lot of music at Fenway as I suppose there is at all MLB Parks now...

Yeah, and it's too much and too loud. Now we get LOUD rock music (which I like anywhwere except at the ballpark). I used to enjoy the organ music in between innings, but that's a thing of the past. We even get commercials now (ugh!).

Im not sure if other teams have official anthems or not

There was a Yankee theme song in the 1960s (I believe it was called "Here Come the Yankees") but they don't play it anymore. Now, the theme song (if you can call it that) is "New York, New York" which is played at the end of every game.

At Dodger Stadium, the only music I welcome is Nancy Bea on the organ.

Some games they limit her to 'Take me out to the Ballgame"

Occasionally, she's more prominent, instead of the incessant annoying loud pointless rock music.

It's been an ongoing battle. When McCourt took over, it looked like she was going to be shown the door. Negative fan reaction prevailed, but it's still day to day, apparently.

I thought it may have been New York, New York but I wasnt sure...Although there are certain songs I dont mind hearing, but in general I agree that it is now used way way too much...

There is a contemplative element to baseball I enjoy that I miss at some MLB games..The rhythms of the game to me make time seem to stretch out a little and leave time for conversation, ideas and reflection.. That can get drowned out if everything is in perpetual rah rah rah mode.

I think most teams would do well to use music and announcements a little more judiciously..

I know I dont need to be pumped up by any music---

I thoroughly enjoy the sounds at the ballpark ---(hawkers selling, kids playing, people heckling (or cheering or laughing), the crack of the bat, ball hitting leather, the low din of the crowd that turns into a roar...a collective groan--a whole section being spontaneously wowwed by a peanutmans toss, the anticipation at a close play -etc. etc. etc. )--just as they are...

The ballpark has its own 'music', that is more than enough to listen to and keep me very entertained---it doesnt really need all the enhancements imo

of course I couldn't agree more.

speaking of peanut vendors, I know I've talked about him before, but LA has THE premiere peanut vendor. Roger the peanut man has been there since the Dodgers played at the Coliseum. He specializes in behind the back tosses over 30 rows with deadly accuracy. He was on Johnny Carson, and once threw out the first pitch from the loge .

The amazing thing is he hasn't missed a beat, and is as much an institution at Dodger Stadium as Vin Scully. ( well, ALMOST as much)

I think you may have posted an article about him once, or maybe you told me about him and I looked him up...Those people are the unsung heroes of sports imo--that make the experience of being at a game so much more than watching it on TV--I have forgotten about a lot of details of games from way back, but I can still distinctly remember the calls (almost like songs) of some of the vendors from more than 40 years ago..

To me it keeps the ballpark experience alive...Fenway has a peanut guy who I once saw throw across the field, from on deck circle to on deck circle during a game :biglaugh:

I'll never forget that---and it never even made the boxscore.

I think my favorite is the girl who carries beer on her head--

1213637239_5426.jpg

Whenever I see her, I invariably think to myself ....hmm.....a pretty woman....who works at the ballpark...and that carries beer on her head.....

Could there ever be anything more perfect than this? :biglaugh:

No matter what BS is happening in the world--its hard not to smile at the ballpark

• 2 weeks later...

hey man, how can you have hate for the rays?

For beating us a two games series this week

For being the winningest team in baseball right now

edit:

For being ahead of us in the standings

For having Longoria

You can't think I can tolerate this 2nd place BS all season long, can you? :)

Edited by soul searcher

For beating us a two games series this week

For being the winningest team in baseball right now

edit:

For being ahead of us in the standings

For having Longoria

You can't think I can tolerate this 2nd place BS all season long, can you? :)

:biglaugh:

hey, there's always NY: 27, TB: 0

those annoying stats, you can't even chant the last year they won it all, perpetual underdogs, like the brewers I guess

All this time I thought you did.

If we both keep thinking really hard that it will come true . . . *spooky sound*

Buchholz seems to have gotten out of two jams already . . . I'm only watching on Gameday . . . I should splurge and go to the bar . . . Cs and Sox.

If we both keep thinking really hard that it will come true . . .

I figured somewhere in FL, anyway. I think it's your avatar that made me think that.

P.S. Interesting discussion in that link on your "About Me" page. Are you Confutatis?

I didn't realize the Devil Rays dropped the "devil". Tampa Bay "Rays" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

yeah I noticed you posted that . . . I can't remember when they did that . . . took me awhile to get over it :biglaugh:

I think 08 was the first year of the "Rays", I dont know if it was pressure from fundamentalists or some other reason.

I wish I lived in Tampa

You'd have no problem getting tickets thats for sure.

Ive been watching the last few days --I find it a little hard to believe that the team with the best record in baseball struggles to draw 20,000 to a game.

The Sox are warming up like the weather and all of a sudden its getting fun to watch them again...I'll take two 1 hitters in a week anytime...

Go Celtics!