GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

collapse? They're world champions.

I've lived through the biggest of collapses, which makes the victories that much better.

I can see where this is all going, now that a Yankee fan who's not so 'nice' is here.

True colors and animosity are coming out. Let's see, I can switch from people hating Obama, to people hating sports teams. Just gotta make sure I'm picking sides and fighting all the time.

No thanks-

The Sox/Yanks game seems to be under a blackout restriction, got it on gameday though. I've got the Rays/orioles up instead. I like watching the Rays if I can't see the sox, they're a good team. I should move to Tampa. I think the winters are shorter there.

Okay,... I understand having "1908" yelled at me by fans of other clubs. Been there, done that. I can understand the jealousy.

IN SPITE of 101 years of not getting it done, we spend far more money, take over other teams parks when we play away games, and really do get national media attention more in line with what the Red Sox and Yankees get.

Not to mention, we tout our historic park (which, lets face it, isn’t for everyone), have a game-day environment that any other team would be jealous of, and have any number of traditions and historical figures that are easily made comedic – anything from the grating “Go Cubs Go” to the stereotypical “Bleacher Bums” to the insistence that the 7th Inning Stretch is a CUBS song first and foremost.

And we don’t do ourselves any favors, what with hiring priests to put holy water in our dugouts and pouring beer on opposing teams outfielders.

I’m sure other fans are just as jealous of the Yanks and Red Sox as well, but how do you taunt such success? The Cubs are everything that is annoying about those big spending, big market teams, without any of the rings to back it up. Between the teams history on the field, the clubs successes in areas off the field, and the attention its all brought, the disdain is to be expected i think.

Damn I'm proud, let me wipe away my tears now....

The Florida teams have cheap owners Bolshevik. what can I say?

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2010/04/09/cubs_beat_red_sox__on_ticket_prices/

It’s cheaper to sit in much of the lower deck at Yankee Stadium this year, with the Chicago Cubs overtaking New York and Boston for the highest-priced regular tickets in the major leagues.

with the Chicago Cubs overtaking New York and Boston for the highest-priced regular tickets in the major leagues.

Thats little comfort when its still $90.00 a ticket to sit in loge seats ( does not include the $40.00 for parking) at Fenway--more for 'premium' games..It was $2.25 when I was a kid.

Im glad I dont have a whole brood of kids that love baseball-Id have to be a Wall Street Exec..

Thats little comfort when its still $90.00 a ticket to sit in loge seats ( does not include the $40.00 for parking) at Fenway--more for 'premium' games..It was $2.25 when I was a kid.

Im glad I dont have a whole brood of kids that love baseball-Id have to be a Wall Street Exec..

You'd probably get a projection screen in the backyard . . .

Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out ten and be considered a good performer.

-Ted Williams

just read that in el ba~no

Course I thought he was successful 4 out of 10 times . . .

Take the T. ..it goes right near Fenway. You don't have a brood of kids. ...but, you can always pick me up on the way to Boston. . . . you have to go right by me.... I think?

:)

Im sure I could head up that way, park on the green line somewhere, and find us a scalper on the corner at The Cask and Flagon where they always hang out one of these days....When we goin? :)

....y'know Im not complainin' but I do miss the 'old days' where you could on the spur of the moment go to the park any time you got an urge and buy good tickets for that days game without wondering if you were jeopardizing this months mortgage payment..or having to corrdinate the whole thing days or weeks in advance.

You say when.... :wink2:

Well, my birthday is in August....so....it's a date!!

OK Cool

LINK

hmmm..lemme see...August....we got Detroit, Cleveland, Angels, Toronto, Seattle.

s'all good but no Twinkies unfortunately

Pick a Date or two--you be prayng for a beautiful August night with no rain--I'll see if I can finagle some strings somewhere for tix

Happy Birthday

OK Cool

LINK

hmmm..lemme see...August....we got Detroit, Cleveland, Angels, Toronto, Seattle.

s'all good but no Twinkies unfortunately

Pick a Date or two--you be prayng for a beautiful August night with no rain--I'll see if I can finagle some strings somewhere for tix

Happy Birthday

OMG! I am so excited! :) The 23, 24th or 25th look good? We will have a blast!! Oh Mstar, how fun!

Oops, I nearly forgot my manners.....thank you! I look forward to going with a fan. Let me know about the tix.

Edited by geisha779

The 25th-Wednesday --getaway day 1:35 start (hope thats OK for you!) against the Mariners--Section 23 Row 8 seats 16 and 17.

Grandstand between home and third.

That OK?

Happy Birthday.

yea this should be fun!

Edited by mstar1

The 25th-Wednesday --getaway day 1:35 start (hope thats OK for you!) against the Mariners--Section 23 Row 8 seats 16 and 17.

Grandstand between home and third.

That OK?

Happy Birthday.

yea this should be fun!

No, it is MORE than Ok. It is a date! :) We will have sooo much fun. Let's really make it a day! I seriously can't wait to hang out with you! Stick the banjo in the car....you and Ian will have to meet. I am grinning ear to ear!!

Cool me too!

This'll be great :biglaugh:

are you sure you want this mountain man to bring his banjo??

It might get to lookin something like this :anim-smile:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ummm ....it looks like you will fit right in. :)

Besides, you have seen me....and that mass of wild woman hair I have....it is a mountain match made in heaven! LOL

I blew my knee out today, I have been stuck with it propped up, the day started lousy and it has turned out to be really great. The Red Sox, your company, and a few beers. Now, that is something to look forward to!

Twinkies v Sox tonight ..... always a pleasant, peaceful, and quiet time in my house. :) I almost root for the Twinkies, just so I don't have to see hubby mope and set his jaw. LOL

Prediction......slug fest.....not a pitching duel....Twins have a lot to prove before the sold out crowd.....Mauer tries to make his contract look cheap.....but, the Sox kill them!!

Oh and Papi breaks the slump in GRAND style while hubby is yelling at the TV.

Edited by geisha779

Geisha, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the players on the Minnesota Twins don't like to be referred to as "Twinkies".

I mean, really, is that what the fans in Minnesota call them? :)

Sadly....they do.. ..LOL Between that and their incessant..."This is Twins Country". Bleck. :sleep1::confused::sleep1:

I think it started out derogatory and was adopted affectionately.

Edited by geisha779