GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Most ballpark hot dogs have been disappointing for me. I must have missed the good one at Yankee Stadium. There and at Shea were barely edible-unless you found the 'independent' food stand. Dodger Dogs are ok when they're piping hot-brutal otherwise. Dogs at Angels Stadium are the worst-unless you walk out to the bbq stand beyond center field. The best I've had was probably in Cincinnatti.

Real good Super Bowl-now let's play ball.

Flipping through some channels a I caught a piece of a movie,

some blond lady was in the Yankees dugout, I guess there was a disputable pitch called a strike, the ump is on one knee looking in, the lady turns to Roger Maris I think, "Did you think that was strike?" Maris: "It may have been a tad outside". Ump: "You're outta here Maris, ejected"

The lady then turns to Mickey Mantle and is like "But .. .did you think that was a good call?" Mantle: "Thought is was low, maybe" Ump: "You're outta here"

The lady then turns to Yogi Berra: "What about you?!!" Yogi: "I thought is was a great call. Right down the middle."

Ump: "I don't like sarcasm Yogi, you're outta here too!"

(Yogi is the only name I'm sure I recall correctly, as his wit precedes him, so don't scoff too much).

No predictions...

but since its the StrangOnes thread I'll do my annual 'I like the Rangers chances this year" comment --and I really do think they could win the AL West. Of course with their luck they could have a 10 game lead in September-then Texas will secede from the union....

...I hope Nomar signs on with someone.

Having watched him flail away in his unspectacular post Red Sox career its hard to believe that he was once the pride of Boston and on a pedestal reserved for people like Larry Bird and Bobby Orr.

He even received the baseball equivalent of a blessing from the Pope when Ted Williams got all giddy upon seeing his grinning mug during the pregame to the 1999 All-Star Game at Fenway.

I still consider it an honor to have seen the guy play.

If life were like the movies, the Sox would invite Nomar to spring training, give him one of those "we can't promise you anything, but you might be a help to the kids in Pawtucket" deals, then call him up for a one night stand before the Fenway crowds before letting him go on his merry way.

but I doubt that will happen.

This will have to do...

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" width="416" height="312" id="mbox_player_7a9ddab71e1de2c7f5"><param name="movie" value="http://www.motionbox.com/external/hd_player/type%253Dsd%252Cvideo_uid%253D7a9ddab71e1de2c7f5" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullscreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.motionbox.com/external/hd_player/type%253Dsd%252Cvideo_uid%253D7a9ddab71e1de2c7f5" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" width="416" height="312" allowFullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" name="mbox_player_7a9ddab71e1de2c7f5"></embed></object>

Hey, Nomar had some HUGE moments in LA. The problem is they were moments-rising briefly from the dl-then just as quickly going down again.

Still, one of my 3 best days at Dodger Stadium , was the day Nomar hit a grand slam in the 9th inning to seal the division title. I don't recall if that WON the division, or put the stamp on it-heck-I'm having difficulty remembering what YEAR it was, but it was an amazing moment. It was also fan appreciation day, where cars and trips were being given away throughout the game, which made it a festive time to begin with.

I loved Nomar in LA-he just needed to take the field more.

I think the Strangers have a shot this year. The Angels aren't a lock. But it's the Mariners I'm really curious about. They made huge improvements this winter-like they're really serious about winning or something.

I know Nomar had "moments" but there was a period from about 97 to 02 or so when to me he was consistantly THE most exciting at bat in baseball. There was a palpable buzz just knowing he was coming to the plate--every time--- His 99 and 00 years when he hit .357 and then .372 were stunning...and his defense was just as stellar. It was athrill watching him...

He got hit in the wrist and he was never quite the same after that. At one time he seemed not only a Hall Of Fame lock but a legend. It doesnt seem right that he just fade away into obscurity...but thats baseball...I would like him given the chance for just one more bow before its all over-He did alot for the Red Sox organization and for the city of Boston during his time here.

I still consider it an honor to have seen the guy play.

Well said. . . me too. . . . . . I can STILL remember exactly where I was when I heard he was being traded. . . . the shock and punch in the tummy icky feeling. . . .and . . . ayep. . . . the heartbreak of no more Nomar in Boston!

That news really did rock the "Nation" quite a bit. . . . and please. . . anyone. . . . don't make me clarify "Nation". But. . . but. . . but . . . we got Dave Roberts. . . . among others . . . and that seemed a waste. . . . until. . . . he stole that base and put us in contention. . . . that eased the pain quite a bit!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

And yes Mstar. . . . it would be GREAT to see him come back. . . and go out on top!

Edited by geisha779

I understand the Nomar love because it's similar to my Jeter love. There was a time when those two were compared like Mantle and Mays used to be.

I "get" Jeter love. . . . and if he didn't put a world of hurt on us. . . . there wouldn't be any Jeter hate. . . . he is so good he causes both strong reactions LOL. . . .you have GOT to respect that guy!

World class ball player. . . .

As i much as i want to I wont---I know better. Right about now I really miss even the players I "dislike" the most.

i dont really dislike them--I suppose their as much as my summer 'family' as anyone else..ragging on them is a way to pass the time....

It seems too far from baseball around here right now

This is today in my corner of the woods

100_3694.jpg

but still I can hear somewhere in the distance...

..zero zero in the seventh...Lackey.... glares in for the sign....ARod digs in....Lackey... rears up.....winds...fires....

Man..can I just see one close play at third on a throw from right soon, a well executed hit and run? a crucial pickoff in the eighth? a dazzling low and away slider on the corner that freezes a batter on a 1-2 count in a tie game?

anything?

Spring please come soon

Edited by mstar1

hey, those yellow triangular "no passing zone" signs, I don't recall seeing those much anymore

not sure what that means....

. . .

There always seems to be some girl around with a Jeter shirt, I'll ask them if they are a Yanks fan, they'll usually say "No, I just think Jeter's cute"

*shrug*

As i much as i want to I wont---I know better. Right about now I really miss even the players I "dislike" the most.

i dont really dislike them--I suppose their as much as my summer 'family' as anyone else..ragging on them is a way to pass the time....

It seems too far from baseball around here right now

This is today in my corner of the woods

100_3694.jpg

but still I can hear somewhere in the distance...

..zero zero in the seventh...Lackey.... glares in for the sign....ARod digs in....Lackey... rears up.....winds...fires....

Man..can I just see one close play at third on a throw from right soon, a well executed hit and run? a crucial pickoff in the eighth? a dazzling low and away slider on the corner that freezes a batter on a 1-2 count in a tie game?

anything?

Spring please come soon

No kidding right? I am getting that baseball fever . . . .hope this is an excellent season . . . . Dice K seems to believe it will be. . .. . despite his messed up back. What is up with that? I want to scream . . . you make a gazillion dollars a year . . . . take an aspirin! "Fatigue"? They had all winter to nap!!

Speaking of aspirin .. . I was just at the pharmacy and they were talking snow and counting storms this week. One lady kept saying it snowed last night, but, we had to tell her Colrain and surrounding area doesn't really count. . . . it always snows up there!!

:biglaugh:

I think it snows in July in Colrain

Im pretty sure Ive seen it snow in June there at least......

Its still snowing here and looks like we have another few days ahead. Ive been shoveling off my roof afew buildings in the area have collapsed...

I am definitely ready for the Marco Scutaro era to begin!!!!

If you missed it here was good article in the The Globeabout Mike Cameron talkin' on a wide range of subjects, from Manny to "borrowing" the centerfield spot from Jacoby.

But the best soundbite comes when Cameron discusses why he chose number 23:

"I'll tell you the story, Mikey Lowell wears 25, so I couldn't take that because he's been here forever," Cameron said. "I didn't want to wear 44 (Jason Bay's number with the Sox last year) because that's kind of a touchy situation. I was like, 'I don't want to wear that.' And then 24 is semi-retired, because of Manny (Ramirez), and Dewey Evans, so I said I'm going back to my minor league number. But Tito told me if you wear No. 23, make sure you don't miss the first ball because [the crowd] will go 'LUUUGO!' It's crazy.....

:biglaugh:

Edited by mstar1

Ive seen him (and hated him) during the playoffs over the years..I know he is a very tough competitor and a bulldog..one of those types of guys that is easy to dislike if you are the opposition because of his fierceness..I'll have to adjust to him being on 'this side' now--which will probably happen in the first start or two....I do want to see his first showdown with the Yanks and see the glaredowns with ARod and Texeira--which could be a season microcosm

On paper the RS starting rotation (Lester, Beckett, Lackey, DiceK-and Buchholz/Wakefield looks very very strong--With three potential #1's-It could bea dominant staff in the AL

of course this time of year things look good--but nobody ever won anything on paper.

Its all even at this point ---for some reason there is still 162 yet to play before anything is decided--Is along way to October--I am waiting to enjoy the ride of '010--

whatever it brings

yeah, they still have to play the games. Reminded me of last year when the Sox beat the Yanks 8 or 9 straight in the beginning of the year. The Yankees were going nowhere fast, and I still haven't quite figured out how they went from a bunch of wealthy individuals, to a TEAM, but they did. I do credit the rock that is Jeter,and as much as I've disliked him, the 'religious conversion' of Arod.I hope he doesn't forget come the new season.

And lest we forget, there are a number of other teams that aren't there to be doormats to the northeast.As much as we like to predict, the wisdom of Yogi says it best;"In baseball, you don't know nothing".