GreaseSpot Cafe

The World Series Thread

mstar1

You are probably right Simon, its been pretty intense especially through the Yankee series. I'll take a sweep although there is something poetic about the 7th game being scheduled for Halloween night in Fenway.

It was yet another interesting sidelight to me that while the Yankees were trying to cash in on superstition by having Bucky Dent throw out the first pitch in game 7, the Red Sox were already seeing the parallel to the miracle by having Mike Eruzione (however you spell it) from that team set the tone at Fenway in game 5.

I hope you are right and somebody makes a film about this --there are way too many details daily of near miraculous nature to keep track of...

I have a feeling Manny is gonna launch one toward Jupiter tonight.

Im glad that off day is over with, that was sort of empty --today is better because tonight we get to watch baseball.

....what a glory is the game of ball

Walt Whitman

Edited by mstar1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had this Dylan song in my head for a few days, maybe , just maybe, the times are truly a-changin'

When The Ship Comes In

Oh the time will come up

When the winds will stop

And the breeze will cease to be breathin'

Like the stillness in the wind

'Fore the hurricane begins

The hours when the ship comes in

And the seas will split

And the ship will hit

And the sands on the shoreline will be shaking

Then the tide will sound

And the wind will pound

And the morning will be breaking.

Oh the fishes will laugh

As they swim out of the path

And the seagulls they'll be smiling

And the rocks on the sand

Will proudly stand

The hour that the ship comes in.

And the words that are used

For to get the ship confused

Will not be understood as they're spoken

For the chains of the sea

Will have busted in the night

And will be buried at the bottom of the ocean.

A song will lift

As the mainsail shifts

And the boat drifts on to the shoreline

And the sun will respect

Every face on the deck

Then the sands will roll

Out a carpet of gold

For your weary toes to be a-touchin'

And the ship's wise men

Will remind you once again

That the whole wide world is watchin'.

Oh the foes will rise

With the sleep in their eyes

And they'll jerk from their beds and think they're dreamin'

But they'll pinch themselves and squeal

And know that it's for real

Then they'll raise their hands

Sayin' we'll meet all your demands

But we'll shout from the bow your days are numbered

And like Pharaoh's tribe

They'll be drownded in the tide

And like Goliath, they'll be conquered

Well,don't get too excited...You remember what happened the last time a team went up 3-0 in a playoff series...

It just seems like it's finally Boston's turn....Scott Rolen,0 for 11????St. Louis doesn't seem to have a chance...I thought the following artical was rather interesting,which I retyped,since I don't know how to do all that scanning stuff....

WORLD'S OLDEST MAN HOPES TO SEE SOX CURSE LIFTED

SYRACUSE,N.Y.(Associated Press)---In 113 years,Fred Hale Sr. has seen a lot.There's one thing he'd like to see again.

Hale,documented as the world's oldest man,is a lifelong Boston Red Sox fan.

Hale already has seen the Red Sox become the only team in baseball postseason history to overcome a 0-3 start to advance.Boston is up 2-0 on the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series.

Can the Red Sox win their first World Series since 1918?

"That's the question," Hale said. "We'll wait and see.Luck goes one way and goes out the other."

On game nights,Hale sits with his 84-year-old son, Fred, Jr., to watch the first few innings of each World Series game before going to bed. Both live at a senior residence center in Syracuse.

The senior Hale will turn 114 on Dec. 1. He is recognized as the world's oldest man by the Gerontology Research Group at the UCLA School of Medicine, a group that documents people older than 100.

Hale was born in New Sharon, Maine. He retired as a railway postal clerk in 1957.

Hale became a celebrity of sorts in 1995 when the Guinness Book of Records named him the world's oldest licensed driver at age 107. He made the network news that same year when a television cameraman caught him on his front porch roof shoveling off snow.

Hale said he was surprised to see the Red Sox finally knock off the New York Yankees.

To win the World Series, Boston must overcome the much-hyped "Curse of the Bambino," supposedly incurred when the Red Sox sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees more than 80 years ago.

"He was a great pitcher," Hale said, referring to how Ruth first earned his fame in Boston.

Hale said he also remembered how the great Ted Williams sometimes stopped at a lobster pound owned by his daughter Carolyn, where Williams was eager to talk about anything except baseball.

Carolyn died 12 years ago. Hale said he wanted the Red Sox to win a championship because his daughter had always wanted one so badly.

I hope the old coot doesn't die this week...

Isnt there a verse about the moon turning Red, and your old men dreaming dreams?

Im sure dreaming dreams

I cant believe that the Red Sox are up 3-0 in the World Series and this isnt some otherworldly dream

It is almost surreal

WAKE UP EVERYONE !!!

THE BOSTON F'ING RED SOX ARE GONNA WIN THE WORLD SERIES

ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN

MIRACLES DO HAPPEN

This should be a national holiday

icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)-->

..for all the people who died waiting,

for all the great players of the past who fought and clawed and scrambled and came up just short over and over and over and over

for everyone everywhere who was just one step short, one out away in anything , who thought it would never ever ever happen and thought their dreams would never come true

The 2004 Red Sox are for you.

My computer is all screwed up so I cant post unless it and gs are in alignment and harmony which is sporadic the last few days:

This is part of an interview with Curt Schilling (he of the bloody Red Sock)after game 2 that you might have missed....It moved me...

From after game two—

Q. We heard a lot of reports that you were not even going to pitch tonight; that you were having problems even before the game started. Can you tell us just what your situation was?

CURT SCHILLING: I don't have the time to explain today. I just wish everybody on this planet could experience the day that I just experienced. I will never use the words unbelievable and the Lord again in the same sentence. Just the most amazing day of my life. …..

……..

As far as today goes, again, just so many things happened today. I promise you that when I walked out of that dugout today and headed to the bullpen the most shocked person in this stadium was my wife because I woke up at 7:00 this morning, which is a tip-off right there. I mean, I've never woke up at 7:00 in the morning for anything in my life, I wasn't going to pitch. I couldn't walk, I couldn't move. I don't know what happened but I knew that when I woke up there was a problem.

I called Chris and I talked to Jimmy and I left for the park, and I told her that it was not going to happen. I wasn't going to go out on the mound with the way I felt today. There's no way. And that's kind of when everything just started. I left my house, I'm driving to the park and anybody here that knows where Medfield, it's a pretty long haul. There were signs every mile from my house to this ballpark on fire stations, on telephone poles, wishing me luck. And I mean, I can't explain it.

I got here, and got out of the car and I got into the trainer's room and Doc was here. I don't know the medical science behind it, but somehow we had put an extra stitch in this time because there was some issues we wanted to try and avoid from last time and we had caught a nerve in the leg, and we took that stitch out and things started to change almost immediately from that point.

But I didn't -- I honest to God did not think I was going to take the ball today because I didn't think I could. And then everything starts happening. You start looking around at your teammates and understanding what you've been through over the last eight months, what it means to me. And I did what I did last time: I went to the Lord for help, because I knew, again, I wasn't going to be able to do this myself.

And you know, thank God for Dr. Morgan and Chris Correnti and Jim Rowe and Dr. Theodore. They made it work, and it happened.

Q. There's so many people in the stands tonight, the two words we hear about you are courageous and hero. What's it like to have those words associated with you?

CURT SCHILLING: I'm proud of that. It's better than bum and idiot.

I mean, this is -- I would do it all again. I mean, again, these fans, every memory I'm going to take away from this season revolves around their energy at this ballpark. On the way to the park today I was thinking about stepping on to the field and beginning that walk to the bullpen. Regardless of what happens in my career, I'll never get a feeling like that ever again in my life like I had tonight and I wanted that. I wanted it for my teammates, I wanted to be able to glorify God's name when all was said and done. And these fans were as much a part of that. They believe in me to the umpth degree and a lot of times I tell the other guys, "don't be the only guy not believing in yourself; everybody here believes in you." That's what I tried to walk out there with tonight.

…….

Q. If someone else was in your position on your team, you would be praising them saying that they were very courageous, are you courageous in what you're doing, do you feel?

CURT SCHILLING: I'm doing what any guy on this team would do. So no, on this team -- again, there's a kinship in that locker room that I think is a by-product of the environment we play in here. I've never experienced anything like it. I've been on some great teams and had some close teams, but this environment creates an entirely different scenario for us in the clubhouse. I don't question for a second any of these guys doing it for the team.

and from mstar, more of the story....

quote:
A sidelight on the Curt interview, he said he was feeling unable to pitch until he started to drive to the park and saw the signs

a Boston station hunted down the signs and they were put up by a disabled kid-------Im crying now---- Curt had seen him playing in his yard earlier in the year and stopped and played catch with him, gave him a ball and a bat all that stuff earlier in the year.

The kid and his parents made hundreds of signs and put them on anything and everything for Curt to see on his ride to fenway...... evertybody does what they can, even a disabled kid has a big part in gettin to the heart of Curt and paving the way for him to be able to pitch.

I hope someone makes a movie about this some day....It is beyond belief and yet it is here

now i'm crying

It ain't over yet.

True, the Red Sox have clearly out hit and out pitched the Cardinals to this point. Back in game 1 that play by Manny was pretty comical. But how would you like to have been Keith Foulke? Your team was ahead 7-2, then it was 7-7, then it was 9-7, and now it's 9-9 because of a stupid play and you have to pitch to Pujols, Rolen, and Edmonds with 2 on 1 out! That was the ball game right there; he got it done.

Suppan's base running may not have been as funny to watch, but it was just as stupid mentally and embarassing for the team. Cards couldn't overcome that. That's been the difference.

I don't believe in curses, but I believe in momentum. Right now the Red Sox have it and they're going to try like crazy to finish it off tonight. The only things the Cardinals have going for them is the home crowd and the fact that they won 105 games. If that's good for 1 win, it might be good for 2. Then if they can somehow win game 6 at Fenway, how confident will Red Sox nation be on devil's night with the "curse" still hanging over their heads? This is quite within the realm of possibility.

I don't believe in curses, but I believe in positive and negative believing. I can still remember 1986. Game 6. Boston is 1 out away from winning the world series. Shea stadium crowd is dead quiet. First 1 hit, then another, then Bill Buckner bewildered. That was just too weird!