GreaseSpot Cafe

The World Series Thread

mstar1

icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_razz.gif:P--> icon_smile.gif:)--> anim-smile.gifanim-smile.gificon_razz.gif:P--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

DO YOU BELIEVE IT???????????

SOMEBODY TELL ME THAT IM NOT DREAMING__

I DONT KNOW WHETHER TO LAUGH OR CRY ,

IS THIS REAL????????????????

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
Oh baby don't it feel like heaven right now

Don't it feel like somethin' from a dream

Yeah I've never known nothing quite like this

Don't it feel like tonight might never be again

We know better than to try and pretend

Baby no one could have ever told me 'bout this

The waiting is the hardest part

Every day you see one more card

You take it on faith, you take it to the heart

The waiting is the hardest part

Tom Petty

It works for me Geo, it definitely works for me, i was nervous and New England angst ridden enough, I'll take a victory over the curse that is DONE DONE DONE DONE DONE on an eclipsing red moon any day,

8 straight victories over the best teams in baseball? Yup works for me

Question: Who has a longer drought than the Red Sox?

Answer: Everybody

icon_wink.gif;)--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

THE RED SOX WON THE WORLD SERIES

I still cant believe it but God I love to say that!!!!!

Congratulations to the Red Sox and their fans, the most loyal that I have seen in professional sports. Without their support in game 4 I don't think the Red Sox would have pulled it out. I think they almost willed their team back on track and into the win column. Then after that the Red Sox got hot and the rest is baseball history. Congratulations again to the Red Sox and their fans. But alas I won't be able to invoke the curse of the Bambino any longer in fending myself from you all at the ball games against my beloved Oakland Athletics. Oh well, the Athletics have still won more championships. No reason for me to get gready about this.

Wow! I'm still kinda freaking out. I didn't think the Cardinals would surely win, but I didn't think they'd get SWEPT!

During the regular season I thought the Red Sox were a team in disarray. They tried to get Arod, then they didn't, then they tried to get rid of Manny, but they couldn't, then they got rid of Nomar and all these ESPN "experts" mocked them saying they got nothing from that trade. But they proved everybody wrong. Now all these people in Boston will have to go into therapy because they DON'T have the curse anymore. They are without an identity.

Congratulations Boston team and fans!!!

Few days ago ESPN reported that both the Red Sox AND the Cardinals had each won 2 world series' during election years (sox - 1912, 1916 / cards - 1944, 1964) and that all 4 elections went to the Democratic candidate. But this too can be reversed like the so called curse.

Did anybody else see a sign right after the game that said "I forgive Bill Buckner"? Awwwwwww.

After last year when the Sox lost in extra innings of the seventh game to the Yankees, every Red Sox fan was hoping for this, but being Red Sox fans held within them that deep hidden inner dread that something again would go wrong.

The management of the Red Sox was great, . Last Thanksgiving day the Sox signed Curt Schilling and immediately on Boston TV there was a truck commercial with Schilling hitchhiking from Arizona and getting picked up by a Ford Truck

Q. Where Ya Goin man?

A. Boston-I gotta go break an 86 year old curse

It was hopeful but still in the it cant happen to us category, the powers of history were too strong.

You are right Johniam the Red Sox were a team in disarry, they started quick, sweeping the Yankees in April, and moving in to firstbut by May and thru June and July played .500 and were 10 games out. Everyday the lineup was different and it was like a team without an identity., It looked like they wouldnt even make the playoffs. I think it ws a combination of a come from behind extra innind victory over the Yankees and the Nomar trade a week later that started to actually bring these guys together, and got them to play consistently to their potential, They won 10 in a row over strong teams and cut the lead to 2 1/2 and moved ahead in the wildcard race.

Something, I dont know what, changed, I talked about it on the baseball thread with Simon, it really was a cool thing to watch when they as a group found themselves, their identity, and it became obvious that they were just enjoying themselves playing baseball.

Theey really was an infectious enthusiasm."The Idiots" were born. Still a hundred times through the season I thought it was over, when they played crappy over labor day weekend, when Foulke was gettin shelled, when Millar couldnt buy a hit, and most especially after the first game against the Yankees when Schilling got shelled I was in disbelief. Curt was shown in the dugout near crying and what had started last Thanksgiving (I've come to break the curse) looked like another &^*%@$ heartbreak. When Pedro lost game two it looked like I had seen this movie once again and by the third game when they got hammered 19-8 and were down 3-0, I posted a tombstone on the other thread, and I had had enough I was ready to give up the Red Sox forever.

Then I dont know what the F happened, it must've been a damn miracle, its been a surreal two weeks ---from Roberts stealing 2nd in the ninth inning of the fourth game and scoring the tying run against Rivera--to Ortiz extra inning game winning hits, to Schilling coming back after he should have been in surgery hobbling to the mound and bleeding out another win, to Derek Lowe, the paranoid Android, actually focussing and pitching the games of his life. Everybody on this team, and it definitely is 'a team' had that indefinable something, whatever you want to call it,spirit, heart, whatever-- that not only overcame insurmountable odds against the Yankees, the best team in baseball in the Cardinals, but 86 years of gloom and history.

Its going to take me along time to sort all this out, but it is going to be nice next year raising the flag at Fenway next April 11 , people have lived and died waiting for this moment and I'm glad and thankful to be able to witness it.

There are alot of lessons to be learned from this team, I have along way until the next game to let it all sink in.

We're just a bunch of idiots, we just enjoy ourselves. We dont think too much about it, We just love baseball and go play.

Manny Ramirez

I almost forgot- thank you Yankees-- your century is over-this century is ours-- anim-smile.gif enjoy the curse of ARod!

and

Lets go Cubs!

Next year I want the Cubs-Sox, earlier games, and a beer or 12 with Simon during the 7Th game at Fenway.

and Damn--there is no game tonight icon_frown.gif:(--> , thats about the only hard part to deal with,

do I have to go back to politics now? ug

I think I'll vote for Terry Francona

Edited by mstar1

Now, now... you're supposed to be gracious in victory.

Otherwise I would have to say that because of their victory, the Red Sox are now just another team, and when they play the Cubs everyone will be rootin fer Chicahguh.

Better get in line for tickets now, or hope that someone leaves them to you in their will, the Sox have sold out every game for ayear and a half, and about amillion people are going to want to be there to see the World Championship flag raised next April 11, what a day --and the Yankees will be in the third base dugout that day to boot.

Sweet.

Im workin on it-if you get the tix before me-sign me up!

Anyone going to the parade and rally saturday?

My daughter's HS did a production of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'. During the world series scene the guy who played McMurphy said "All right! Pujols is up! They're gonna beat the Red Sox butts!" which was met with a combo of laughter and groans. One more night and they could've watched it for real.

Mstar,a dozen or so quaffs at game seven at Fenway sounds awesome...Maybe the scoreboard will show 'Moonlight' Graham: 1 Games,0 at bats....

Well,as VPW would say,at times like this you wonder what to say to your people...I could only continue to hope and dream for my Cubbies,but it was great to 'experience' the fulfillment of a lifelong dream of another longsuffering baseball junkie...

Why do some of us get so captivated and become such lifetime devotees to a team sport?...Maybe it's because baseball is so much like life,encompassing both a logical,common-sense approach,while at the same defying logic,common sense,and is filled with example after example of the unexplainable...How do you explain 3 MVP candidates going,what was it,4-45 collectively?...Was Boston's pitch selection and location that precise or were their pitchers on a mission?...But every year all ball players start out(supposedly) on this same 'mission',to win a championship...What was it about Boston this year that made them grab lightning in a bottle and put it all together and overcome an 86-year drought in a most improbable fashion?...I have no idea,but I do know that they'll be talking about this one for years and years...

It must make no sense at all to the casual observer that there are many aging men and women out there who feel they can now die in peace because their beloved Red Sox have finally won a championship...How is it that otherwise sensible,intelligent people develop such a bond,or a love affair,with a team that just has the name of a city in front of it that we live in or near,has players from all over the world,perhaps an owner or owners we can't stand,and we have to pay them gobs of money to watch them play?...It's illogical...

The grown-up in me enjoys baseball for what it is....a great pastime that combines skill,athleticism,strategy,drama and sometimes guts and will to provide an unparallelled form of entertainment...Yet the little kid in me charges through the front door,ignores all my welcomers and flips on the tv to see how my Cubs are doing-as if somehow their success will make my life more than abundant...

Congrats,again to the Bosox,Mstar...Savor this time...I cannot say I know(ginosko) how you feel,but in experiencing the same disappointments as you,I can guess that it's pretty exhilirating...Go ahead...be a kid again...

simon, what you said was absolutely awesome

--

mstar,

i heard this song yesterday and thought of you

quote:
I see trees of green, red roses too

I see them bloom for me and you

And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue and clouds of white

The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night

And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky

Are also on the faces of people going by

I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do

They're really saying I love you.

I hear babies crying, I watch them grow

They'll learn much more than I'll never know

And I think to myself what a wonderful world

Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world

The Red Sox finally have avenged the 1967 series in style. A four game sweep. The Babe turns in his grave.

It has happened. Springtime has come to Camelot after years of having lost Excaliber. The Red Sox found and drank from the Holy Grail, wielding the sword once more.

After 86 years, they have been resurrected.

And now the Cubs need the same.

Hi Kids!

My computer crashed worse than that team from New York..(whats their name?) icon_wink.gif;)-->

I havent been able to answer some great posts here, I'm at a breakfast place on my way to a parade that is expecting 5,000,000 ( thats FIVE MILLION!) other redeemed souls.

I'll be back and have awhole winter to reflect on this with some of you ...