GreaseSpot Cafe

Should we or shouldn't we?

Hills Bro

Here is the story about BUBBA the Lobster in photo above

FoxNews:

Gigantic Lobster Spared From Boiling Grave

Wednesday, March 02, 200

PITTSBURGH — He could be older than Warner Bros. studio, General Motors and the Boy Scouts. He could have survived two world wars and Prohibition. He could have been dinner.

He's Bubba, a 22-pound leviathan of a lobster pulled from the waters off Nantucket, Mass., and shipped to a Pittsburgh fish market.

"It is overwhelming," owner Bob Wholey said. "If you see it, you will never forget it. Customers are just in awe."

On Tuesday, Wholey gave the lobster to the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium (search), which will send him to an aquarium at a Ripley's Believe It or Not museum.

Based on how long it typically takes a lobster to reach eating size — about five to seven years to grow to a pound — Bubba may be 100 years old.

That would make the crustacean older than Warner Bros. (1907), the Boy Scouts (1910) and the states of Arizona and New Mexico (1912), not to mention the first commercial radio station (1920), television (1927) and computers (1943).

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (search) sent Wholey a letter asking him to work with the group to release Bubba back in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Maine.

Another group calling itself People for Eating Tasty Animals (search) reportedly offered Wholey a hefty price for the lobster. At Tuesday's price of $14.98 a pound, Bubba would retail for about $350.

Bob Bayer, executive director of the University of Maine's Lobster Institute (search), is skeptical and estimates that Bubba is likely 50 years old, but doesn't know for sure. Warm water and plenty of food may have more to do with a lobster's size than how long it's been alive.

"We have looked at all kinds of things to figure out if there is any way to age a lobster. I'm guessing 100 years is probably too high but I can't argue with it because you don't know," Bayer said.

No matter his age, Bubba dwarfs a typical 1½-pound lobster. He's about three feet long and took up about half a 4-foot-by-4-foot tank at Wholey's Market. A lobster sharing his tank was about as big as one of Bubba's claws.

A handful of people who wandered by the tank Tuesday were impressed. One woman quietly said, "Wow," while a man said, "He's serious."

Although his business is to sell seafood, Wholey says Bubba was never bound to be boiled and buttered. And he's become a little philosophical after seeing the lobster, which could be twice his 54 years.

"I don't think you could eat something that big. ... What range of emotions does a lobster have? Greed? Lust? Love? I'm just going to give him to the zoo and hope he lives another 100 years," Wholey said.

"If you sat down and ate this thing, wouldn't that be a bit shellfish?"

How Bout this for a spiritual heavy Gem.

When God destroyed the population with 40 days of rainfall during the time of Noah all animals and mankind died except Noah and his family and the animals on the ark. God obviously spared the fish and all the crustateons of the sea. After all.. how could he possibly drown a fish? icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> anim-smile.gif

In the '80s, I lived with a believer family from Maine. The husband had many a story to tell about growing up a Mainiac, and he told them well. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

He lived near the coast so it was nothing for him to run down to the shore to gather all type of sea critters. When scuba diving, he never came back up without some lobster.

According to him, in the old days, Lobster commonly got up to 35 to 50 pounds. In his days, a 35 pounder was pretty rare but you could still find plenty in the 20+ pound range.

He said fishing law was set for a maximum size limit on lobster catches to preserve the species. Apparently the big ones are the prime breeders.

The lobster traps of course naturally limit the critter's size intake. Scuba for them was also illegal, but a lot of mainers did it for home use.

I wonder how you would successfully cook such a critter. How could you get the center part done properly without getting the outter parts rubbery?

I also wonder if it would be tough?

I don't want to spoil your party - really...but I am curious!

satori icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Strange:

I used to LOVE lobster... until I heard some crazy story about how they were genetically the cockroaches of the sea... cockroaches! agh! haven't been able to eat one since... icon_frown.gif:(-->

Yes Tom,

Lobsters could be loosely compared to cockroaches. With the exoskeleton shell on the outside and organs & muscles inside, Lobsters, shrimp and crabs are the insects of the sea. They get larger than land insects because because water's natural buoyancy supports a much larger size and weight.

like a cockroach also, lobsters are scavengers and carrion eaters, vaccuum cleaners of the ocean floor. However this includes all bottom dwelling fish and crustaceans, all scavenge carrion and clean up the ocean floor. But then almost all fish live by eating other fish,

then again, other fish are eating living fish, not dead and rotting ones.

I did read a story awhile back where a man died from lobster overdose. Apparently, lobsters like pigs retain a lot of the decaying poisons in their bodies. (Which no doubt also are part of what gives them their good flavor.) Well this man ate something like 12 or 16 of them and then later went comatose and died. The coroners verdict was lobster poisoning.