Top Posters In This Topic

from joniam:

quote:
Weird.

1. Orthodox Judaism (100%)

2. Islam (96%)

3. Reform Judaism (90%)

Krysilis?

Nothing in the questions about Jesus Christ.

Yepper! This is peculiar. But when I think about it, I was 36 when I began indoctrination with wayism and I had been raised in a strict denomination [Dutch Reformed Church].

TheEvan, of course I can only speak for myself, but I know that I came into twi with basically all these beliefs. Although my demonination was trinitarian, I personally never remember being taught to pray to Jesus and I myself never believed it literally..."God in 3 persons" never made sense to me [maybe it's the scientist in me?] I did ask about it once or twice and was told I had to take it "on faith" and my response (in my mind only) was pppffffftttt!

Thanx, Bramble!!!! That was very very helpful.

Before I got into the way I considered myself a "pantheist"...I guess it's the same thing as neo-pagan...which includes druids, in which goes along with my lifestyle and a keeper of a labyrinth.

I guess we always seem to go back in circles to who we really are..."to thine own self be true"...

Thank god for diversity...to each his/her own.

quote:
Originally posted by TheEvan:

For the most part, the high incidence of Orthodox Judaism & Islam comes from Way influence...the teaching that Jesus is not God, did not pre-exist, etc. That, combined with holding the Bible to be authoritative.

Which three "Way" things I no longer hold, but quite to the contrary, believe Jesus to be the Highest God, to have pre-existed, and do not hold the Bible to be God incarnated in the form of a book.

And I still end up with "reformed Judaism" (lol).

The test could have used some additional choices, though...

quote:
Originally posted by Bramble:

Wacky Funster--

Here is a link that will help explain the term Neo Pagan, with a little more tolerance than WW shows.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/neo_paga.htm

The pages on this site are really long, so there is more information below the adds.

"Tolerance"?

Just reporting what I see.

Usually the more serious, studious types add a specific name like Kemetic or

something, and distance themselves from the self-labelled "neo-pagan" movement.

Here, see for yourself..

http://www.whywiccanssuck.com/

That's a site by a self-identifying wiccan who's tired of all the fluffy

bunnies who also self-identify as wiccans who make him look bad.

quote:
It's an "ancient religion" that started in the 50sor later, depending on specifically what they're doing.
That's Wicca, one of the groups within the umbrella term "neo-pagan".

"Neo-paganism", or simply "paganism" encompasses a variety of groups, from attempted reconstructions of Druidism; Asatru, a continuation of pre-Christian Norse religion; shamanism; and goddess worship of various kinds.

It's practicioners come up with their rituals from a variety of sources, some documented historically, some claiming to be chanelling dead people or spirits of some kind (revelation anyone?), and some just made up on the spot to be cool.

Yeah, WW, I'm familiar with the Wicca Sucks site.

I actually hear of very few pagans who refer to themselves as neopagan, most have a long self describing term that other pagans can figure out, such as solitary eclectic green witch, or Celtic Wiccan, or Baltic Reconstructionist, or British Traditional,or an initiate in such and such tradition etc.

Neopagan is an umbrella term. Beliefnet uses it in the quiz, but in their forums they have many separate communities under earth based faiths.

Wacky Funster was asking what it means, not why do you (or others)dislike the term.

Btw, The beliefnet Wicca board is well known for it's strife and internal fighting. It's worse than GSC.

Most of the fluffy bunnies-I-watched-TheCraft-and-now-I-wear-black-and-am-a-Real-witch are kids.

--sez Bramble, who is wearing black sweats and accidentally dyed her hair black and can't afford the salon fix (double process!)until payday.

1.  Orthodox Judaism (100%)

2.  Islam (97%)

3.  Sikhism (87%)

4.  Reform Judaism (78%)

5.  Bahá'í Faith (76%)

6.  Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (68%)

7.  Orthodox Quaker (68%)

8.  Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (65%)

quote:
For the most part, the high incidence of Orthodox Judaism & Islam comes from Way influence...the teaching that Jesus is not God, did not pre-exist, etc. That, combined with holding the Bible to be authoritative.

Evan -- makes sense. I figure that's how I got my high "OJ" scores. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

OE...funny thing is, relooking my top 5...those are the 5 that I checked out and resonated with after leaving twi.

I sat at the Quaker Meeting House here for over 3 years silently s.i.t. asking god for guidance. After that I spent another 3 years meditating with the buddhists....more like 5 years...I went to the UU church for a while...and my whole life seems to revolve around pantheism and new age stuff, even tho my beliefs seem a little more conservative to me than it seems they are.

See you in September!!! icon_smile.gif:)-->

Here are my results

1. Secular Humanism (100%)

2. Unitarian Universalism (92%)

3. Nontheist (78%)

4. Liberal Quakers (72%)

5. Theravada Buddhism (70%)

6. Neo-Pagan (66%)

7. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (59%)

8. Taoism (51%)

9. Reform Judaism (47%)

10. New Age (46%)

11. Bahá'í Faith (39%)

12. Orthodox Quaker (39%)

13. Sikhism (39%)

14. Mahayana Buddhism (35%)

15. Scientology (35%)

16. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (32%)

17. New Thought (32%)

18. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (28%)

19. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (25%)

20. Eastern Orthodox (24%)

21. Islam (24%)

22. Jainism (24%)

23. Orthodox Judaism (24%)

24. Roman Catholic (24%)

25. Seventh Day Adventist (18%)

26. Hinduism (14%)

27. Jehovah's Witness (7%)

I accidentally erased my first results and did it again chaning my confessing to a non-cleric to not applicable. The only difference in the results that I could see was Secular Humanist was second to Universal Unitariarian. I'm supprised that Nontheist was third seeing as I answered as one to all of the questions involving theism.

I don't think the questionnaire is totally wacked. I think the moral of the story is that many religions share many different beliefs. What we think is the most important differnce in our belief system is often not a moral or ethical differnce. In choosing and exhalting that difference (ie belief in Jesus as SoG or G) we sometimes become blind or willfully negate the many moral and ethical similarities. Look at me, my results say almost 60% Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants even though I answered "no God, not sure, don't care" to all the theistic questions. In many places Universal Unitarians are more like a moral social club than a religion, so I can see that one.

I would consider the qustionnaire to be more right than not. I would look at it and see the many great similarities rather than how they have equated you with those other evil people, how dare they! But then again I am one of those evil secuar humanists, so don't listen to me.

Lindy,

I must have been looking over your shoulder...

1. Secular Humanism (100%)

2. Unitarian Universalism (99%)

3. Liberal Quakers (89%)

4. Theravada Buddhism (87%)

5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (83%)

6. Nontheist (76%)

7. Bahá'í Faith (74%)

8. Neo-Pagan (68%)

9. Taoism (59%)

10. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (54%)

11. New Age (51%)

12. Mahayana Buddhism (47%)

13. Jehovah's Witness (46%)

14. Jainism (45%)

15. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (38%)

16. New Thought (38%)

17. Hinduism (36%)

18. Reform Judaism (36%)

19. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (33%)

20. Orthodox Quaker (32%)

21. Scientology (28%)

22. Sikhism (28%)

23. Seventh Day Adventist (22%)

24. Eastern Orthodox (16%)

25. Islam (16%)

26. Orthodox Judaism (16%)

27. Roman Catholic (16%)