GreaseSpot Cafe

Making SingO'Long songs more boring

lindyhopper

That, and it rained on the day we were to have an outdoor dance.

Supposedly, God told Craig to schedule the dance for that night months ago. When it rained, it was our fault. Yelled and ranted about it for quite awhile.

===========================

Now, that was void of logic wasn't it? WHY would God tell ol' Craiggers to plan a dance when God knew us screwy students were going to mess it up anyhow? I mean, why waste time, energy, etc., on it? Really. I think it was rainin' harder inside due to all the spittle flying outta Craig's piehole than it ever rained outside!

Besides, everyone knows that big ol' afternoon thunder showers never, ever "happen" in Indiana in the summertime. Nope.

Further more, if it was our lack of believing that made it *rain* that day, then what was at play when VPW saw it *snow* on the other side of the street? Answer me that one!!!

===============================================

Bob - I remember you being at that class... I think you were in the same Twig as my ex - Br*ce Ow*n - we were engaged then.

quote:
I think it was the 1991 Adv Class in Rome City... It was just before class and people were sitting in the chapel waiting for the teaching to begin (gotta be in your seats 10 mins before the start of the teaching, you know...) There was instrumental music playing, I don't remember if it was a recording or live, but it was lively music on a lovely summer day.

Well, lo and behold, a few people started singing along with it. Then a couple more joined in. Then, before you knew it, most of the chapel was singing along to the instrumental (prelude?) music.

BOY DID WE EVER GET SCREAMED AT FOR THAT ONE!

LCM came out and went off on the class for singing without someone being there to lead the song. He went on to say that it was the same debbil spurt that caused riots that caused us all to sing along together...

Whadda jerk. His knowledge of music, is only equaled by his mastery of dance --- and that ain't saying much.

David

Ya know, at the 96 Advanced Class at Indiana also had a major face melting session from the Mosquito because a few guys started singing and people started joining in and others began to gather around because they were so good.

They DID have a song leader. It WAS orderly. It WAS thoroughly enjoyable. It was PROMPTLY SHUT DOWN and the group got yelled at for quite a while and as if that wasn't enough, they had to hear the same s h 1 t again in front of everyone when we were all in our seats waiting for the beginning of the next class session.

Geeze! FUN IS NOT ALLOWED IN TWI!! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT - ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE MORE TALENT THAN WAY PRODUCTIONS OR THE SINGING HAGS OF TWI.

quote:
LCM came out and went off on the class for singing without someone being there to lead the song. He went on to say that it was the same debbil spurt that caused riots that caused us all to sing along together...

I know this next is not about music, or songs -- but the control issue is what I am thinking of.

quote:
Num 11:25 And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was] upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that], when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease.

Num 11:26 But there remained two of the men in the camp, the name of the one was Eldad, and the name of the other Medad: and the spirit rested upon them; and they were] of them that were written, but went not out unto the tabernacle: and they prophesied in the camp.

Num 11:27 And there ran a young man, and told Moses, and said, Eldad and Medad do prophesy in the camp.

Num 11:28 And Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of Moses, one of his young men, answered and said, My lord Moses, forbid them.

Baaaaad Eldad!! Baaaaad Medad!! How dare you FOLLOW THE SPIRIT, instead of succumbing to *leadership*?? nono5.gifnono5.gif

What woulda lcm done in this situation, eh?? Makes ya wonder.

And for that matter, I wonder what he would have done had he been in the Mark 9:38-40 situation. Seems evident that spontaneous *happenings* are Godly as well as inspired, while *leadership control* is nothing more than modern day Pharisee*ism* putting one and all (who will listen) back under law to the powers that be.

As for me and *my house* - we don't knuckle under to the thumb of twi. icon_cool.gif Let them play their mind control games. The way they are going -- soon they (the

*leadership*) will be yelling at each other, as the membership dwindles as folks wise up, and get out. icon_smile.gif:)-->

David

quote:
I was playing with our little man this morning and smelled something nasty. I asked him, "are you poopy?" He said, "No!" Which is almost always the answer in regards to being poopy. So I picked him up and did the old smell test and man that one was a stinker. So I put him on the bed and said, "Boy, you got a stink butt, there's no two ways about it."

and

I broke into song. LOL

OH My,

How smells can bring back such memories

LMAO

Well, Song

As you get older and the ol' memories start to fade...I can always mail you some baby freshness to bring them back. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

You know in our Adv. Cl. I think it was 93' or 92' the 3rd floor west wing became "Vegas Hall". We would sing any and all songs as though we were crooners in an empty, dark Vegas hall. "AmaAaAaAaaaazing Graaaaaaaace ,thank you, Howowowowow Sweeeeeet the sound, YEAH" Don't you go changin'. Johnny Mathis eat your heart out.

That brought back that missing fun, at least for a while.

quote:
Well, Song

As you get older and the ol' memories start to fade...I can always mail you some baby freshness to bring them back.

Uhmmm, thanks, but I had a couple of grandsons my way not too long ago. The memories were as fresh then as back then. And now they are past them freshness days and soon to be at that stage when they hide the Penthouses in the bathroom.

Ya know LH all the baby tender but wipes offer many a memory this ole Pop~~~

~~~ a few years ago~~~My oldest daughter dropped off her first son to me with all the baby kit stuff so she could go out with her hubby while I was at my Mom/Dad'ss abode. Daughter said Later~~~

My Mom & Dad Laughed and said later ~~~

I can not wait to be a living GREAT GRAND POP!!!

wave.gif:wave:-->

thanks for the memory LH

icon_cool.gif

Rok On

Song

How programmed was I?

I remember the change-over from spontaneous fun with songs to, "we must be decent and in order in all things"... I thought it showed how like-minded we were that you could go from one fellowship to another and get the same thing... DUH!

On the other hand, I had music training pre-twi and habitually conducted some songs differently than we had been taught... got corrected more than a few times over it, even though I knew my way was just fine musically.

As for breaking into song walking the corridors of the way, there was a corps brother of mine who did that daily, and we all loved it... God Love you Kurt, wherever you are.

The Sing Along The Way books took several changes in the few years that I was in. After the fog years all the songs that were written by "cop outs" were elminiated from the book. Then, they began to add songs that they had written. When I say "they" I mean Way Productions - not any one person. Certainly not someone with loads of talent and a vocabulary beyond the 3rd grade. New songs would have something like four to six lines and be waaaayyyy too simple....

Just so I don't break any copyright laws, I'll make up one for an example...

Oh, I love my cat and my cat loves me

I love my cat when he is up a tree

I love my cat when he's under the car

I love my new cat strings in my guitar

Yes, that was horrible wasn't it? But that was my point. The songs were horrible! Like the example I have above, they all seemed like they could have been written in a couple of minutes - it was mindnumbing, drivel that was demeaning even to the youngest children in fellowship. Thankfully those songs were in the back of the book and we seldom went there.

Whenever someone ran twig who used a lot of the songs from the back of the book it only meant one of two things.... they were either locked in with hq pretty tightly... or .... they were retarded!

i always thought it was make a joyful noise un to the lord!

noise does not = beautiful perfect pitch music.

the lord loves your out of tune song as much as he loves the person with perfect pitch

sing amazing grace to the tune of house of the rising sun? you bet your pitch pipe on it! and it was fun! the bastards took the fun out of it and we left!

i remember a wc couple comming to our area to oversee us, he thought he was arthur fieldlier directing songs and he couldn't carry a tune in a basket

and the funny thing about that is many of us in the twig were pro or semi pro musicians. oh i laugh when i remember him waving his hands in the air directing a song

it looked as if he was drowning and looking for help

Oh yes...learning to lead songs was a rite of passage for all prospective twi leaders...learning Dorthy's ooom pah pah method of bouncing your hands, was standard corps training...Most corps grads didn't have a pot to .... in or a window to throw it out of...but, by Gawd, they could leap onto a stage, at the drop of a hat and boldly lead us all in one of the old standards...

Gawd, it was awful.

quote:
Originally posted by coolchef1248@adelphia.net:

i remember a wc couple comming to our area to oversee us, he thought he was arthur fieldlier directing songs and he couldn't carry a tune in a basket

Maybe it WAS Arthur Fiedler. Did you ever SEE Arthur Fiedler conduct? It was impossible to follow him! I think the percussion of the Boston Pops did all the work while AF swatted at flies! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

George

Copyrighted songbooks were the road to major song singing boredom.

Over these years since leaving TWI I have been surprised how many christian songs I have heard which TWI used that were not in the songbook, performed and never mentioned where they came from. I had to assume that some wayer wrote them.

for example

Noah and the Ark done by C.R.

Yes. A believer was on his or her way to greatness when they could "lead" songs during twig. Of course everybody had to follow your lead. ....and to think, I actually liked to sing (ok, with me it IS joyful NOISE) back then. I remember when the songbooks changed. It was because we were using copywrited songs without permission or acknowledgement. Of course it was their fault we couldn't sing them anymore.

I was coordinating a fellowship in CT, when the word came down to burn the blue songbooks.

If there was one thing that was drilled in our heads, it was to obey an order from leadership as if it was from God Himself, so I built a fire and had a nice blaze.

A few months later I had moved to Ohio, and was sitting in a new twig where I didn't know anyone. They passed out blue songbooks and I said 'hey, you were supposed to burn these'. Someone said ,' oh yeah, I remember that-well we like these'.

I didn't know whether to be appalled at their audacity, or love them for their refusal to follow every directive. I knew how wound tight everyone was in CT, due to the constant drumming of way rules, and I thought that it would be even more so closer to HQ.

I ultimately found those little acts of rebellion, or just not caring, to be refreshing, and I was on my way to dismantling

way brain long before I really left.

quote:
Originally posted by coolchef1248@adelphia.net:

i am a great admirer of af.

i have a baton that was weilded by him doing stars and stripes.

bought it at a pops auction

i think he could have waved 30 or so of them during the same rendition! but i bought it and it sits on my piano!!

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure A.F. was a swell guy, and probably at one time a fine conductor. But even in the '70's he was hard to watch. I was at MIT in 1975, and our band was part of a large (22 bands, I think) bicentennial extravaganza on the Esplanade. AF "conducted" all the bands together in, yes, "The Stars and Stripes Forever." I believe the last band finished about 20 seconds after the first. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

George

P.S. Sorry for the derail!