GreaseSpot Cafe

Call me Ham

Ham

Just a little note, you may comment if you wish.

Just call me Ham- I chose the "Mr." to distinguish my identity as being male. Besides, with the old almost Joe Walsh avatar, I thought I needed to. Even then, some of you had doubts, heh heh.

Ham, is that what your friends call you? wink2.gif;)--> I'm so used to calling you Mr. H.....but I'll try to remember.

BTW, this avatar is MUCH better than the female looking Joe Walsh avatar. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I heard Robert D Rayford on the John Boy and Billy show talking about the Morse Code dudes beating out the cell phone text messaging dudes in a contest.....thought of you, Ham. icon_smile.gif:)--> Were you one of the Morse Code dudes?

Mr. H would be fine too, Belle. I just don't want to come off as some official Mr. type, heh heh.

Yes, I do morse code almost exclusively on radio- don't like microphones.

I saw that clip- it was on the Jay Leno show, the two old morse code guys beat the snot out of the two newcoming instant text messenger young whippersnappers, heh heh. The young guys held the fastest record in the world for sending/receiving a text message.

As a side note, the morse code dudes were not sending as fast as they could either. Just at a nice, comfortable speed. Probably didn't want to look TOO good, then people would be suspicious.

quote:
I scolded that young man and told him I knew what a ma'am was and I am NOT old enough to be a ma'am!

Belle -- shame on you. nono5.gifnono5.gif

Any gentleman from the south always refers to women as *ma'am*, as a title of respect. You should know that.

The only other title I have heard men address women by is *little lady*.

Which would you rather be addresed as??? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

David,

Those titles of respect are reserved for "adults" meaning anyone considered a lot older than you. It's akin to calling me "Ms (Last Name Goes Here)". You only call people in your peer group or younger by their first name. To move into the "ma'am" and "Ms." category means I'm getting older and I don't wanna get older!!

As for "little lady"....I'd MUCH rather be called that!! Or "Honey" or "Sweetheart" or "Miss Priss" or "Dear"...... I love it when an old southern gent uses that kind of language. You just don't hear it much anymore thanks to all the feminists out there.

I guess if a 15 year old kid called me "little lady" it would be awkward. You're absolutely correct and besides that, if he DIDN'T call me ma'am he would have had visions of his mother's hand pinching his ear till he did say it. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> I so remember those days!

Touche' Chef! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I spose I can stay as young as I want to in my mind, can't I? I'm really looking forward to the time when I'm old enough to say whatever I want and get away with it because people think I'm too old to scold. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Every day above ground is a good day, Sir! You are absolutely correct!

Ham,

So you're an old Morse code guy, huh? I had a buddy from high school days that got into ham radio. He learned Morse code and theory and got his novice license. I'd go over to his house and get a kick out of his striking up "conversations" all over the world with nothing but Morse code. Heck, I can still remember C-Q myself. da de da dit.. da da de da.

He had postcards from hams he had "talked" to all over the world plastered on his bedroom walls. He later got into voice but I didn't go over to his house much after he started doing that. I went to the funeral home a few years back when his father died. I asked if he was still doing the ham radio thingee and he was. He was now sending Morse code by using his computer by just typing and letting the program change it to Morse code. He said anyone can get a beginner's license now... don't even have to learn Morse code. He didn't seem too happy about it, though.

sudo

Yep. Hams resist change, too..

But that's how I got my introductory license- it was a no code license- in 1993.

I have hundreds of cards from oodles of countries also- haven't counted them all, but probably 120 or so countries.

I usually send code with a hand key, but let the computer do the work in contests. Its too much for me to send the same thing over and over for hours on end with a hand key..