GreaseSpot Cafe

What is the best way to lose weight (and quickest)?

waterbuffalo

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waterbuffalo --- Lots of good advice here. icon_smile.gif:)-->

My 2 cents worth -- correct eating, and exercise will do the trick, but not immediately. Here's the diet that two of my guys at the group home follow. They have Pradar-Willi Syndrome (a genetic disorder whereby they are alway hungry, and will even dig through garbage, looking for edibles), and because they lack the gene that tells them when they are *full*, they will eat, and eat, and eat --- anything. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Both of them weighed about 450 pounds each (14 years ago). Both are 5'2", and to date, both have lost over 300 pounds each. Theirs is a medically supervised diet, that is 1800 calories per day (this is up from the past), when they were on a 900 calorie diet -- back when they were so over-weight

Daily they get:

Vegetable ------ 1 1/2 (dry) measured cup (1 cup at lunch, 1/2 at supper);

Starch --------- 1 1/2 (dry) measured cup (1/2 cup at lunch, 1 at supper);

Meat (protein) - 6 measured ounces (split in half for lunch and supper);

Fruit ---------- 1 (dry) measured cup (half at lunch, half at supper)

Salad ---------- 1 (dry) measured cup (supper time);

Salad Dressing - 1 Tblsp (fat free);

Toast ---------- 2 pieces (40 calories per slice at breakfast);

Jelly ---------- 1 Tblspn (sugar free), for their toast;

Cereal --------- 1 (dry) measured cup of cereal (breakfast).

For liquids, they get:

Coffee - 2 (liquid) measured cups (one at breakfast, one at supper);

Milk --- 3 (liquid) fat-free measured cups (all meals);

Juice -- 1 (liquid) measured cup (for breakfast).

They also get two snacks a day, and each consists of 1 diet free soft drink (each time), and an apple, or an orange, or a 1/2 cup of canned fruit.

This may sound like a *sparse* diet, but I have used their measurements for food at supper time myself, and it is actually quite filling. Give it a try!! icon_smile.gif:)-->

They also do a lot of walking for exercise. The combination of the particular supervised diet they are on, plus the physical activity we encourage them to do, has done the trick (over time), since they now weigh 133, and 144 -- instead of 450, and I just told you how they did it. wink2.gif;)-->

Good luck! icon_smile.gif:)-->

David

I've been on a diet for a few weeks now. I know everyone says that loosing weight too quickly is not the way to go, but I'm not sure what too much weight is, honestly.

I work at a restaurant, so before my diet (bad term for it) started I used to snack on tex/mex food and sopapillas, lots of fried foods. My clothes were all getting way too tight. So...

I cut out all bread and sweets ('cept for sugar in my coffee and honey in my tea and cereal bars as a snack)

I ate lots of fresh fruit

Cereals

I ate fresh veggies

Meat without sauces

No starches

In three weeks I lost 14 pounds.

I'm active i.e. I cut my own grass, etc. and I'm a waitress. I also started back into an exercise program.

Mind you, 14 pounds on me is NOT a big deal, since I'm almost 5'10". About 20 pounds is a dress size for me.

Hope this helps!

As a side note, there were three of us on a diet. We all chose how we wanted to loose weight. One was on the cabbage diet, but she couldn't stick to it, she gained weight. The other woman and me both went on a similar diet plan, one doing more exercise than the other. I did less exercise and lost more weight since muscle (and the one gal gained muscle) weighs more than fat. So, if you get on a exercise program and gain muscle, you might not loose as much, so don't get disappointed because you'll look much better. And choose a program you can stick with, which is also healthy.

my two cent worth icon_smile.gif:)-->

gc

I too am seasoned (47 years young) have had more than my share of injuries (broken back and neck-2 separate accidents--horse).

Anyway, I work out aerobically--use the Firm with weights, and keep track of my weight and inches. I noticed a creeping up of my belly and waist (2 separate measurements) and figured it was middle aged spread.

I got really frustrated and got quiet and believe i was told to cut down on coffee, cut out refined sugars, white stuff--bread, bagels, pretzels, no desserts and no alcohol. I lost the 5 lbs i gained in my belly and waist this way (in about 7-10 days) and i did add back in some cheats--a little glass of wine, some granola on my yogurt.

I try to eat whole foods and nutritious choices---God put vitamins and minerals in the colored fruits and veggies.

Oh yes, I am also an RN...(lots of coffee and bagels around in our OR break room...so I did have some temptations.)

Hope this helps....this past holiday I did break my diet, and I did get more tired.....so I am right back on it. After a few days..the energy will be right up there.

I have to change my weight from time to time for work. If I do a high altitude climb I have to gain, When I am guiding or doing short climbs I need my weight low. I generally have a 30 lbs range and it works simply like this. I measure my daily activity vs. caloric intake. If I am burning 4500 calories a day and wish to maintain I check my intake and keep it around 4500. I still eat a balanced diet but keep it in moderation.

There are also some "protein bars" that I like to use that aree made by Melaluca Co. They are designed to cause your body to burn fats before burning muscle. Even when I am in a weight gaining mode I still eat these things (along with as much as a Quart of Ice Cream a day) I think I have a predisposition to being a light weight. Caffeine seems to have a negative affect and causes your body to store fats and burn muscle so I suggest staying away from it.

No matter what realize that we are all getting older. 10 years ago if I took my shirt off you saw a nice six pack. Now I take it off and you'll see a case.

I remember a friend of mine using the cabbage soup diet with great success. She cheated and it still fell off.

I think I'll give the cabbage soup diet a spin.

It looks like it could work because it isn't really high in carbs and has enough protein to keep my blood sugar level.

quote:
cut down on coffee, cut out refined sugars, white stuff--bread, bagels, pretzels, no desserts and no alcohol.

That sounds like great advice, beenthere! That includes white rice, also, doesn't it?

Also, coffee makes me hungry. Anyone else have that problem?

I gained weight on that dang cabbage soup diet! icon_frown.gif:(--> That's what sent me to the dr. to find out why I couldn't lose weight no matter what I did.

I follow a combination of the Insulin Resistance Diet and Weight Watchers Point System (when I'm being good. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->).

This is a great resource for diet and fad diet information.

Thanks for the link, Belle. I printed out the article about the way the French eat. That sounded like a sensible lifestyle choice--they're not fat because they eat real, high quality foods, smaller portions, and sit a long time at meals and enjoy them with friends.

Part of what makes losing weight and keeping it off possible is to not diet but to change your lifestyle. That means finding a combination of a healthy diet and exercise routine you can live with.

I HATE aerobic exercises - most of them bore me to tears so I won't stick with them. BUT I love the pilates ball combined with weights. That is something I can stick with - it burns calories and builds muscle, which increases metabolism.

I have found I enjoy biking with the kids, which also burns calories and builds muscle. I figure in the winter the kids and I will work on karate together.

As far as diet goes, I enjoy lots of raw vegetables. I have found that a salad made with mustard greens tastes better than regular lettuce and is more nutricious.

Light carbs and sugars, light on the fat, trying to concentrate on healthy fats from nuts and seeds and only a little meat at dinner.

My sister - who has recently lost about 40 lbs told me if you are not getting enough calcium then it is harder to lose weight. In addition to vitamin D there are a couple of minerals needed to help your body use the calcium. One is magnesium and I can't remember what the other is. Anyway I am now taking a calcium supplement and a multi-vitamin. In addition, because high tryglicerides and cholesterol are a heredetary problem in my family, I take vitamin E, Fish Oil, and eat flax seed.

My goal isn't so much to lose weight as it is to stay healthy and live a long time - I have a lot to live for.

I've seen first hand through my mom and sister what obesity can do to a person's health and it isn't pretty. In my mom's case, it was a large factor in her early death. In my sister's case, it landed her in the hospital for almost 2 weeks and I am so very proud of her for how far she has come!