GreaseSpot Cafe

The Cone of Dennis

Raf

Weird. To look at the map, we should not be affected at all over here, yet I just woke up (4:25 a.m.) because of a vicious squall accompanied by lightning and thunder.

Let this be over with soon...

We are getting battered: not in the sense of the bad winds, but it's like one, long, severe thunderstorm. I've been unable to sleep, which I think is only partly related to the storm. It's got to be a lot worse in Naples and other areas to the west of us (Hope and Jon, are you listening?).

This should give a better sense of why we're being affected here so far from the eye of the storm (draw a diagonal line toward the south-southeast from that big lake 2/3 of the way down in Florida to get a sense of where I am).

2xg1_ir_anim.gif

That pic shows why here in the Tampa/St Pete area are getting bad weather. Last year, I lost my home in the hurricanes. I now live in an apartment. Last night, I had a hurricane party after work. What can I say that hasn't been said before over here in Florida. ...another weekend, another hurricane.

Time for some hurricane humor. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

You Might Be a Floridian If:

You have more than 20 C and D batteries in your kitchen drawer

Your pantry contained more than 10 cans of Spaghetti O’s

Making coffee on your grill doesn’t seem like an odd thing to do

You are on a first name basis with the Home Depot cashier

You decide your patio furniture looks better on the bottom of the pool

You own more than 3 large coolers

You have the number for FEMA on your speed dialer

You can wish that other people get hit by a hurricane and not feel the least bit guilty

Last year you couldn’t hang a shower curtain; today you can assemble a portable generator by candlelight

You can recite from memory whole portions of your homeowner’s insurance policy

At cocktail parties, women are attracted to the guy with the biggest chain saw

Relocating to North Dakota doesn’t seem like such a crazy idea!

Praying that everybody gets wet that can stand it and dry if they can't. This looks like a labourously slow storm, can't imagine how much rain folks are getting but we're hoping not to repeat the tornados. Raf, it's really THAT cold in them clouds??? icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by herbiejuan:

Raf, it's really THAT cold in them clouds??? icon_eek.gif

I have no idea what you're asking me.

Well, although we did take a bit of a beating, it was no worse than our worst non-hurricane related storms, I think. We got off light.

All is well (thankfully) on the southwest Florida coast (Ft. Myers, Naples area)...rainy and gray, but no power outages or (other than normal seasonal) tropical scuffles.

The natives are restless, make no mistake. No one makes light of these bad blowhards anymore. Many, many people and whole areas are still reeling (or just starting to near some normalcy) after last year's quint hits.

Whereas I am relieved that we are out of Dennis' reach, my heartfelt prayers go to any and all in the current anticipated path.

Prayer is always good.

Just talked to a great aunt in Mobile. She said that they just got a lot of rain and wind, but nothing scary or as bad as they had prepared for.....thankfully!

I hope all our other GSpotters are doing well and staying safe!

It looks like Dennis the Menace is going to go straight over my hometown. I hope he doesn't cause much damage when he gets up there.

We've been on the west coast of FL the last 10 days. I took some pictures today that I posted in Every Picture Tells a Story you might want to look at.

Bow jr.'s girlfriend's mom had a tornado pass right over her apartment yesterday morning while on the phone with her daughter - no damage to them or their apartment, but she said some trees were busted up. This was in Seminole, FL, just north of St. Petersburg. We're staying just west of St. Pete, on the beach.