GreaseSpot Cafe

Bottom Feeding Television

Pirate1974

Just when you think that tv has scraped the absolute bottom of the barrel, they manage to break out the bottom of the barrel and go even lower.

If the average guy had multiple arrests for drunk driving, drug possession, failure to pay child support, parole violations, not to mention beating up the wife a few times, he'd be doing some hard time.

If you're worthless, no-talent loser Bobby Brown, you get your own "reality" tv show. A guy who would be just another name on a police blotter if he hadn't married Whitney Houston gets to do whatever it is he does on tv.

I guess the attraction of watching this train wreck is the chance that he might smack Whitney right on camera.

There oughta be a law.

Pro Wrestling is more real than "reality tv".

If you actually think about it shows like, survivor, big brother, etc... are simple drawn out game shows.

I guess shows like Bobby Brown, Gotti's, Osbourns, etc... are for people who don't have there own lives and need to watch someones. (I am only guessing, because I have not seen any of these shows. just the advertisements.

Just seeing the commercials for this or "Growing Up Gotti" or "Gastineau Girls" confused.gif will suck the intelligence right out of your brain.

I watched one episode of "Newlyweds" I think it's called because the 17-year old son watches it and I was treated to 30 minutes of Nick and Jessica trying to decide where to go eat. Now THAT'S good television.

I have never intentionally watched any "Survivor," "Fear Factor," Great Race," "Bachelor," "Bachelorette," "Big Brother" or ANY of the "personality" shows like the Osbournes, Anna Nicole Smith, et al.

I must admit, though, while I was working on my taxes, I did see about six "Real Gilligan's Island"s in a row. redface.gif:o-->

George

Does " the Apprentice" count as reality TV? I really enjoyed that!

I also liked "Dancing With the Stars" but I admit I could be drawn to it solely because my parents won many ballroom dancing contests in their younger years.

Since I got my DirecTV Satellite system, I've found LOTS of high quality reality teevee that's very useful for both Me and Andrew.

The RFD channel offers up tractor pulls, antique tractor shows, ag "how-to's", lotsa good horse training info, Campfire Cafe that offers lotsa great dutch oven recipes for campfire cooking, Cajun Cooking,and for enterainment there's Big Joe's Polka show.

The Outdoor Channel has great hunting and fishing info.

Boom has old Popeye cartoons where Popeye still eats his spinach and clobbers Bluto, old Looney Tunes, old Tom and Jerry...not this new stupid politically correct crap.

Sci Fi has good stuff from time to time...especially old Twilight Zone reruns.

Penn and Tellers show called Bull****! is EXCELLENT!!!

It's there...ya just gotta look for it.

Well, I'll be the low-brow dumba$$ here who admits to enjoying many of the "reality shows."

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Yes, a lot of them are simply extended game shows. I don't have a problem with that. I also know the producers manipulate situations to get certain reactions from the participants and that these shows are edited for more drama and humor. I don't have a problem with that, either. I don't want to see the boring stuff they've edited out.

I don't like the most of the dating-type reality shows, though. Nothing appeals to me about watching people who've just met, most of whom are probably in it for the money or a Hollywood break, slobbering all over each other and boo-hooing if they don't get picked.

My favorite is The Amazing Race. I've seen parts of the world on that show I'll probably never see in person, and I love the challenges and twists and turns the contestants face. I like Survivor for the same reasons, just not as much.

>Fear Factor was fun the first season, except for the segments where they ate gross stuff, but the other challenges have gotten boring...they're too much like the ones from past episodes. I liked the challenges on The Apprentice, too.

So there. It's out. I like reality shows. But I have to agree with Pirate about the Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston fiasco. Who cares to watch their day-to-day lives? Not me! I've never watched the Gastineau girls or the other shows like it. Just not interested.

I like that show 'Dog Eat Dog' on the game show channel. Everybody on that show is a good physical specimen, including the host. That's the only reality show I've watched.

I agree that sports is reality TV; each game is a spontaneous, never done before, never to be repeated event. The commentators ruin sports for me more than the athletes. In the 70s I used to mute the TV and listen to music; now I guess I'm desensitized.

Yes Garth, POLKAS.

As deeply southern as I am, I have to admit a closet yankeeness that involves polkas, horseradish, bratwurst, galumpka etc. shhh...don't tell anyone.

However, if you ever listen to a Mexican radio station (and I do when I can cuz I like the music and understand enough of the lingo to get by), they play a lot of polka music.

Okay, I like Dixieland jazz more, though.

(my best Foghorn Leghorn voice)

Ah SAY Suh, I am *deeply* offended! nono5.gif

No self-respecting Yankee would _ever_ be into polka. No way. No where. No how!

... Well, unless they are from the German hinterlands in the old country, and even then, they most likely live in Minnesota.

Well, I'm a Survivor fan. Have been ever since the first season and participated in the office pool for the first few seasons before changing jobs. I even bought a Survivor Buff to wear to the gym. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

That's about the only reality show I watch. I admit I peeked in on The Amazing Race when Rob and Amber from Survivor were on it, but didn't faithfully watch it. wink2.gif;)-->

I watched Beauty and the Geek this past month or so and thoroughly enjoyed it. A great social experiment as they called it. I'm just glad I knew the answers to all the questions they were asking the girls. icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
Originally posted by GarthP2000:

(my best Foghorn Leghorn voice)

Ah SAY Suh, I am *deeply* offended! nono5.gif

No self-respecting Yankee would _ever_ be into polka. No way. No where. No how!

... Well, unless they are from the German hinterlands in the old country, and even then, they most likely live in Minnesota.

Actually, most Midwestern cities have large Polish populations, so polka music is pretty big. And here in Texas, there are lots of Czechs as well as Poles, so polkas are big here, too. (My family name was Jurascheck until Grandad changed it to St. George.)

George

I remember when I lived in San Antonio, there was a huge Polish population. I really enjoyed shooting their weddings (I R a photographer) though there was little difference between a Polish wedding and a Mexican wedding. They both like to form a big circle and dance around the photographer and hand him drinks while he happily snaps away. Loved it, loved it, loved it!!!

The highest expression of true multiculturalism was in New Braunfels at Oktoberfest where you get bratwurst or knockwurst with saurkraut and hot salsa wrapped in a tortilla and wash it down with a Corona or Dos Equis.

Of course, Sunday morning, you have to get a barbacoa taco with some onion, tomato, cilantro, jalapenos and a little horseradish or the experience just isn't complete.

Ya GOTTA love south Texas!!

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled thread...

Teevee really sucks when you can go to a really cool Mexican or Polish party (reception), take pictures and get paid for it.

Who needs teevee, anyway?