GreaseSpot Cafe

"Awaiting the Return"

Xena

On the thread called "Mrs. Wierwille, Awaiting the Return, a couple of us were disecting this phrase. It was suggested that we move the derailment to the doctrinal section, so here we are .........

From what I can find in my Concordance, the terminology is absolutely Way-Speak, not used in the Bible - or at least I can't find it there.

My personal distaste for this phrase, "Awaiting the Return", is due to:

1. The presumption that everyone speaks Way jargon and understands it, which is a stuck-up presumption.

2. The omission of the end of the phrase, ie it should be "Awaiting the Return of Christ", which is so typical of TWI -- to leave Christ out of everything.

3. The nonsense of how someone who is "asleep" as TWI teaches, could possibly be awaiting anything. They are sleeping, right? It's we who are alive that are able to await.

4. The disrespect to the deceased, whenever TWI attaches this cliche to the person's name (Mrs. Wierwille is Awaiting the Return).

If I'm wrong about this, someone teach me better. -X

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Acts 2:22-26.

"Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by

miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves

also know: Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have

taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:

Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he

should be holden of it.

For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face,

for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:

Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad;

moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope "

======

It's in the Bible, if Acts 2:27 counts as "in the Bible".

A) On THIS website, everyone DOES know way jargon, whether or not they USE it or AGREE with

it anymore. This is a site primarily for survivors of twi. This is common knowledge.

B) If figures of speech are considered legitimate tools to use in study of Scripture,

then all 3 types-figures of addition, substitution and SUBTRACTION are all legitimate.

A figure of subtraction places emphasis on what remains.

I Peter 1:23 "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word

of God, which liveth and abideth for ever."

The omission of the word "seed" after the word "incorruptible" places an emphasis on the

INCORRUPTIBILITY.

So, it's in the Bible ALSO.

C) How can someone who is asleep await anything?

I dunno-ask DAVID, who is DEAD and BURIED.

D) This was meant respectfully to the deceased, not DISrespectfully.

(Only the churl was disrespectful.)

Next question. icon_smile.gif:)-->

1 Thessalonians 1

9 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

10 And to wait for his Son from heaven , whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

1 Thessalonians 4

13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

Most curiously, there are two different versions of 1 Cor.15:51:

(KJV, from the Text.Rec.)

Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

(Douay, from the Latin)

Behold, I tell you a mystery. We shall all indeed rise again: but we shall not all be changed.

Perhaps "The Return of Christ" is a misnomer, as Christ is very real and present both in body and in spirit. Perhaps what they mean is "The Appearance of the Lord". But as to how the Lord will appear is uncertain, and could very well be anything but what we expect it to be.

Thanks. I KNOW the concept of Christ coming back is in the Bible. What I was referring to was the specific word-by-word phrase, "Awaiting the Return". That's Way-Speak. It's like "Power for Abundant Living"; the concept is Biblical, but the cliche, used over and over and over, is not in there. It's no biggee, guys, just a pet peeve. Glad to be out and speaking English again. -X

I hate to say this, but I'm gonna (and I don't mean it to be mean, but to be provocative - that is, to provoke thought).

Criticizing the term "awaiting the return" strikes me as a very TWI-ish thing to do. They loved to get down on everybody because of language, didn't they? Merry Christmas! I hope so! Good luck! And WHAM, the TWI thought police come in and yell EN GARDE! to make you feel guilty for... for what, exactly?

Awaiting the return...

Yes, it leaves out "of Christ." But so what? Whose return do you think she's awaiting, Bob Hope's?

Xena, you're not wrong. If that's the way you feel about the phrase, then don't use it. But (as you correctly pointed out) it really is no bigge. And just as you despise the way TWI nitpicked words to death, you might want to let this one pass.

The concept is Biblical. Celebrate that. Leave the quibbling to the quibblers. That's what we left behind! icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
Originally posted by CKnapp3:

Perhaps "The Return of Christ" is a misnomer, as Christ is very real and present both in body and in spirit. Perhaps what they mean is "The Appearance of the Lord". But as to how the Lord will appear is uncertain, and could very well be anything but what we expect it to be.

Yes this is the vengeance of our God, this is what Paul went thru on the road to Damascus, this is our salvation and redemption. The enlightenment, the knowing the Love of Christ, the anointing.

And the forgiveness that has long been waited for to be seen. It's the step into that which God has prepared for those that love him. And it will be seen from birth to birth and beyond. Sink yourself into His love because you will need it.

And if and when it does happen before it has to happen you may want to take a couple of days off of work and commune with those whom you know and have heard speak the same thing.

Our salvation seen in part will be fully realized when we are gathered together with them in the air.

What Paul and others was talking about will become clear.

Yes, how the Lord will APPEAR will be where he is already-within as the scriptures teach. Try not to overreact to what is seen. Temperance, patience, love. It will be as real as what is seen.

It's all about Love...

quote:
Originally posted by CKnapp3:

CK,

Check out Matthew 24 and 26.

"At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory."

gads! Raf, you are the one hijacking it. You insist on making the subject: me.

I don't hide my agenda, so why do you act as if you have to warn everyone. You're a wanabe Paul Revere. Why don't you go and distribute leaflets in New Orleans announcing the arrival of Katrina or something else useless.

There's an important issue that this thread brought up. It happens to lie in the vicinity of things I've already posted on. I'm trying to remind folks.

Although WW's analysis at the beginning of this thread has it's merits, he missed the significance of the key word "return." Possibly CM saw what I've been trying to say. How about you, Raf? Have you bothered to get out your Youngs Concordance or are you too busy playing Lone Ranger or something else?

General Announcement: Raf is right. I just hijacked this thread. It's mine now. Sorry Xana, even though you were on to something, maybe unintentionally, Raf insists that I hijack this thread, so why waste time? Let's cut to the chase.

Well, unfortunately, I have to go to work now. So nobody post here until I get back. Hijackings can get spoiled real easy that way.