GreaseSpot Cafe

Strange people vic wier went to for info

nandon

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...Vic claimed to have spent time with all sorts of "spiritually enlightened" folks. I recall during an advanced class I took, that they had a "seed boy" come in to speak...just so that everyone could learn from the experience.

A lot of the people that Vic names, were considered outside the pail of accepted Christianity (surprise, surprise)...probably because those with any credibility showed Wierwille the door and told him not to let it hit him in the foot as he walked out.

In one of the low-number tapes, he said he'd sat in on

spiritualist stuff, and that he'd shaken hands with an

apparition. He said it was like

"shaking hands with someone who doesn't shake hands".

=======

In other news, he did borrow from people who WEREN'T

Christians to assemble his "Law" of believing (which failed

to work a lot of the time, proving it wasn't a "Law".)

The names "Albert Cliff" and "Glenn Clark" spring to mind.

Or was it "Albert Cliffe"?

Someone also mentioned that vpw said his stuff wasn't

"psycho-cybernetics", but they read some "psycho-cybernetics"

and it looked like it was right from vpw's stuff.

Wierwille spoke of Arthur Ford...the spiritualist who would show up drunker than a skunk...go into a trance and suddenly be as sober as a judge, as he "channeled" other people who were dead...( I suppose if dead people were speaking through my mouth, I'd be doing a lot of drinking too icon_cool.gif)

Wierwille seemed to gravitate towards people on the "fringe"...Rufus Mosley, Bishop Pillai, E. Stanley Jones (who wrote extensively about his ashram experiences, in a book entitled "Abundant Living"...where teachers and students live together year round...sound familiar?)

...Even Bullinger was considered somewhat controversial because of his views on dispensationalism...that's where Vic stole his ideas about the 7 administrations.

I suppose because Vic was rejected from the mainstream church (because of his adulterous affairs)...he sought out others who would allow him into their meetings...and I also believe that Wierwille was in search of something that would "make him different and unique" from other churches and other ministers...his enormous ego and his extreme insecurity compelled him to "develope" something that would make him stand out from the rest of the crowd...he wanted so badly to be the MOG...that's why he stole portions of various teachings from other fringe players, creating his own hybrid version of Christianity.

quote:
... that's why he stole portions of various teachings from other fringe players, creating his own hybrid version of Christianity.
Not enough to condemn VP now you are condemning the folks he learned from as "fringe". ha ha ha ha ha

B.G. Leonard, E.W. Kenyon, Stiles, Bullinger, Pillai, Martin Luther, etc. those are the biggies, yes they are all glassy eyed cultists on the fringe.

Me too.icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

quote:
Originally posted by oldiesman:

quote:
... that's why he stole portions of various teachings from other fringe players, creating his own hybrid version of Christianity.
Not enough to condemn VP now you are condemning the folks he learned from as "fringe". ha ha ha ha ha

B.G. Leonard, E.W. Kenyon, Stiles, Bullinger, Pillai, Martin Luther, etc. those are the biggies, yes they are all glassy eyed cultists on the fringe.

Me too.icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Who said anything about Martin Luther?

Kenyon is NOT very respected in mainstream Christian circles, Oldiesman. Bullinger is a bit more respected. Stiles isn't even on the radar.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say Wierwille "stole" the idea of 7 administrations from Bullinger. If you accept dispensationalism and adopt the belief, then you adopt the belief. It's not stealing.

A good chunk of the chapter on The Counsel of the Lord was stolen from Bullinger, in that it was word for word taken from Bullinger's writing without credit. But that's different from dispensationalism.

quote:
If you accept dispensationalism and adopt the belief, then you adopt the belief. It's not stealing.
Interesting! Raf, this is what I thought about most of VP's writings, he adopted the belief of those who he learned from.

But then there are those who advance the theory that if one writes about the same ideas as the one one learns from, but not giving the proper written acknowledgement along with it, it's called plagiarism.

So would it be fair for me to believe that actual plagiarism is a word for word lifting, rather than the written acknowledgement or adaptation of beliefs?

Do you concur?

quote:
Originally posted by oldiesman:

...there are those who advance the theory that if one writes about the same ideas as the one one learns from, but not giving the proper written acknowledgement along with it, it's called plagiarism.

So would it be fair for me to believe that actual plagiarism is a word for word lifting, rather than the written acknowledgement or adaptation of beliefs?

Word-for-word is definitely plagiarism. No question there.

Here's a definition of plagiarism from Georgetown University

http://www.georgetown.edu/honor/plagiarism.html

It's not just word-for-word. For example, sections of Receiving the Holy Spirit Today are very close to word-for-word. Some words are changed, but it is very obvious that he took Stiles' work and adapted it. Wierwille's teachings on dispensationalism are not plagiarism. For one, he differs from Bullinger on important aspects , and two, dispensationalism is a school of thought, wherein there can be many variations. A theologian or teacher is free to take the idea and put there own spin on it. It would have been plagiarism if Wierwille had copied Bullinger's writings with little or no changes and claimed them for his own.

Note that this links indicates that even paraphrse is plagiarism if ciations are not provided.

quote:
Interesting! Raf, this is what I thought about most of VP's writings, he adopted the belief of those who he learned from.
I thought that about some of what he wrote and taught, but there were large chunks that he claimed, or at least implied, that he came up with on his own, and which he clearly got from others.

To bring up Receiving the Holy Spirit Today again: Wierwille mentioned learning from others and studying the "holy sppirit field" for years, but he presented RHST as his own, his masterpiece, so to speak.

Maybe I believe that the popes are infallible when speaking on matters of doctrine. There's nothing wrong with me telling other people what a great thing that is, or how much I believe it, as long as I don't claim (overtly or by implication), that I came up with the idea independently, or that God said that he'd teach me all about papal infallibility, as long as I would teach others, complete with snow on the gas pumps!

Edited by Oakspear

quote:
... that I[ came up with the idea independently, or that God said that he'd teach me all about papal infallibility, as long as I would teach others, complete with snow on the gas pumps!
I don't think VP ever said that he came up with the idea independently.

He said numerous times (and wrote) that he learned from various men of God, scattered across the continent.

As far as him saying that God would teach him the Word as it hadn't been known since the first century if he would teach others:

God teaching him the Word doesn't have to be direct revelation without human contact.

His statement could also mean that God taught him the Word, thru men of God, scattered across the continent, along with his own study and reasoning ability.

Look's like VP got his law of believing from Albert Cliffe.

A good article on it: http://www.empirenet.com/~messiah7/rsr_lawbelieve.htm

Cliffe's books:

"Let Go and Let God"

Chapters include:

• There is Magic In Believing

• The Law of Cause and Effect

"Lessons in Successful Living"

• Spiritual Healing

• Positive and Negative Thinking

• Tithes and the Law of Prosperity

Doesn't take much to see how VPW took it, reworded it with some Bible verses, and called it his own.

It sure doesn`t say much for a God or his message, if all he could find to represent him and teach it, was the likes of vpw.

VPW gave God and Christianity a great big black eye in my opinion....when he endulged in more evil, found more ways to justify the sating of his lusts, was more relentless in his destruction of people than the vilest of unbelievers....

Geeze with a God and a minister like that...who`s afraid of Satan?

quote:
It sure doesn`t say much for a God or his message, if all he could find to represent him and teach it, was the likes of vpw.
I look at the complete opposite.

Look at how great loving and merciful God is, to entrust his Word with someone as fallable as VP.

Additionally Saul was a raving murderer...can't get much worse than that...

People are strange, when you're a stranger

Faces look ugly when you're alone

Women seem wicked, when you're unwanted

Streets are uneven, when you're down

When you're strange- faces come out of the rain (rain, rain)

When you're strange- no one remembers your name

When you're strange, when you're strange, when you're str-ange