GreaseSpot Cafe

"Jesus" is just alright with me

Hopefull

In PFAL, VP says, you tell me what you think about "Jesus" and I'll tell you how far you'll go spiritually- and yet, the year I took the class- 1978- and afterwards- to say "Jesus" without the "Christ" was taboo and to have a "relationship" with Jesus- talk/pray- became akin to chatting up a 5 star general devil spirit. This was a waybrained mind screw that I knew was so Wrong-. and even conflicted with piffle.

Alhough I questioned why we could sing about Jesus (i.e. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, sweetest name I know) but not SAY the name - I was comfortable with this way of thinking because I did not have to closely examine the fact that I did NOT have a relationship with Him and had no idea how to get one going.

For the last several years I have prayed to Jesus as well as God- If there is a difference; God I tend to (I hope) praise and thank, and Jesus I talk/pray as one human being to another since He was one once- and my prayer life has become much freer and spontaneous.

Do you pray/talk to Jesus? I don't know Him as well as I would like but at least He is no longer a total stranger to me. And the name Jesus (and Yeshua) has become sweet to me, and it is about time. For me, anyway.

Edited by Hopefull

Hopefull, for me, it took going to church SEVERAL times to get over cringing every time Bro. Bret would say "Jesus". I still pray in the name of Jesus Christ, though most all my family pray in Jesus' name.

I guess I am still waybrained to a point, but I am getting out of it.

My brother gave me a "Jesus" prayer cloth, that I have hanging over my alarm clock. It was taken to Africa on a mission trip by a local church and was prayed over there, and then brought back here. I still look at it every day, and do not cringe when I see it!!! It also reminds me to pray when I lie down to sleep. I like it.

I do have a much healthier respect for Jesus now than I did. I even think a have a relationship with him now. Whereas, in twi, WE WERE THE ONES!!!! Our hands behind his hands...etc..... well, I dont know about that, and I dont really care.

I do know that I am born again, and I am working on making Jesus LORD IN MY LIFE.

I have a L O N G way to go!!!

***Please Read the Whole Post***

Ladies,

If I can something to help you grow in your relationship with the Lord Jesus that have traditionally been used by Catholics for centuries: the Stations of the Cross.

Yeah, I know, how dare I ask that you consider doing a Catholic devotion? Right?

Well, the fact is that they are both scriptural in nature...particularly the devotional/meditative components of the devotions.

The Stations of the Cross originated with pilgrims who would travel to the Holy Land (on pilgrimage). The stations were points along the Via Delorosa (the way of suffering) travelled by Jesus during His passion...you can read about it in the Gospels, if you'd like. Since the earliest times of Christianity, pilgrims flocked to the Holy Land and walked along the traditional route Christ took (recorded as early as 381 by St. Jerome). After the Muslims took control of the Holy Land in the middle ages, it became more and more difficult and dangerous for Pilgrims to make the trip. In towns throughout Europe, little shrines were erected, representing the Way of the Cross.

In short, as I said before, they were representative of the Passion of Christ.

The traditional version of the stations can be found here, here, or here.

A Protestantized version of the station can be found here.

Obviously, we all know which version I'd prefer; however, doing the meditations on Christ's passion is a very powerful way in which one can grow more appreciative of what He did for us.

There are other devotional prayers and meditations on scripture passages that one can prayerfully undertake, as well. A meditation on the beatitudes is a tremendous example, as well. But the point is that prayerful meditation on His life is a good way to grow in your feelings of closeness. Note I'm talking about meditative reading and prayer, vice an intellectual study trying with the mind to uncover something new. Let God work within you...

Okay - YEAH! WayBrained - that was and (still to a point) is me. Sometimes when people say the name Jesus, I get all weird about it - like Don't say that because God is the one who did it all and then I have to say (uh,,,,stupid -- Jesus obeyed - he did THAT and DIED and by doing all that God was able to redeem me) so I'm thankful to my brother Jesus Christ and I think everything in moderation is the key. But it's like when LCM used to always give people a hard time because they spent so much time PRAYING and he would say Christians need to get off their knees and ACT and then I got way brained about praying (late 80's) because I was a teenager and anything that LCM was willing to repeat THAT many times had to be something people were doing (or not doing) too much of. So I started SIT all the time but then not praying with my understanding - again, duh, hold that up to the light and see how weird it can get. I used to see the balance (every time I swung past it) but then after a little bit of seasoning, I got over it. I don't think I should TO pray to Jesus because he is not God and therefore, not omnipotent; therefore a conversation with him might be like talking to a wall. He is seated on the right hand of God but not God - unless the trinity holds some weight for you and then that's a different story for your private prayer life. Anyway, I'm glad you wrote about this. I've been reading for a while. Finally signed up. Glad to sit at your table for a few minutes. Good conversation and something I can take home too.

I'll take a TO GO container for that please. Thanks again and keep the change!

It also reminds me to pray when I lie down to sleep. I like it.

That's what counts, isn't it act2? You know what it means to you and it's a good thing. :)

What can be bad about that? Nuttin'!

Things like that, and what they mean to us, are comforting reminders to us. I like stuff like that. It's like at Christmas, all the ornaments, the stuff we pack up and drag out ever year, it's so cool. I love it. The house fills with thoughts of years past, thick with memories that go all the way back to our first memories as kids. It's a good time of year.

To me, that's the way all this terminology stuff shakes out. Hopefull, you know what you mean, what you're intent is. In prayer time I often dwell on "Christ in me" and, working from a blank slate, let the images fill my thoughts at their own pace. My own efforts have been to see God less as someone "out there" and more as someone "here". Not trying to reach Him but to accept being with Him. Jesus said "he that's seen me has seen the Father". I feel that as I dwell on considering Jesus the man, the guy, the redeemer who lived, I have a point at which to proceed into the here and now and what He is to me now.

Most of the time I'm dweedling along, living, doing what I have to do the best way I can muster. The private time I have for these things is refreshing, relaxing. Hopefully it informs the rest of my life and actions as I go.

i did stations of the cross for years and years, i love them. i was silent in great thanksgiving and reflection from noon 'til 3 every single good friday when i was growing up. i loved him and felt him with my whole sorrowful heart

i used to go to church all by myself before mass started when i was a girl (doors were still unlocked). i knelt at the altar and wept and prayed at his crucifix

ps. this doesn't make me catholic. it makes me a child of god and christian i think

i love my mom (seems appropriate to say so here)

mark, please do not take offense at the following: I feel that most Catholics are as brainwashed as I was in twi. My mom's family is all Catholic except 2 cousins. Out of 23 cousins (not including my family who was raised Baptist) only TWO are not Catholic as adults. Their mother practically disowned them, and to this day, the sisters have a very strained relationship with her.

When my mom married my dad, and became a Baptist, HER DAD ALMOST disowned her.

Does this remind you of 'mark and avoid'?

When MY sister became a Catholic, my dad could not believe it, but he NEVER disowned her. He is disappointed in her.

Anyway, maybe my dad brainwashed me as a child. I believe that praying vain repetitous (sp) prayers and saying, after the priest says his thing in mass, thus saith the lord, and the other things that they say are vain repetions. This should probably go in the 'catholic church' thread, but since you posted here, I will say how I feel.

Again, I have nothing against Catholics. My aunts and cousins are very decent people. I cant say that any of them are very Christ-like.

I have attended mass as a child a couple of times with my grandparents, and remember having to wear a doily on my head. Then later, I didnt have to. I remember my cousins had to eat fish on Friday, now they can eat whatever they want to, unless it is Lent. I remember when my granddad died, my grandma had to BUY him OUT OF PERGATORY!!!

I had better stop.

Anyway, I think I will stick with what I am doing.

Oh, BTW, my granddad who almost disowned my mom when she became Baptist MARRIED a non-Catholic, who for years did not attend church. My granddad took the children to church. I cant remember when my mom said that my grandma finally started going to Catholic church, if it was while they were still at home, or after grandchildren were born.

I wonder if HER dad disowned her when she married a Catholic.

I will ask my mom.

'socks' date='Nov 22 2005, 08:06 PM' post='198243']

Most of the time I'm dweedling along, living, doing what I have to do the best way I can muster. The private time I have for these things is refreshing, relaxing. Hopefully it informs the rest of my life and actions as I go.

Yeah, socks, I really like that.

Now back on topic..... Jesus :o

Oh, BTW, my granddad who almost disowned my mom when she became Baptist MARRIED a non-Catholic, who for years did not attend church. My granddad took the children to church. I cant remember when my mom said that my grandma finally started going to Catholic church, if it was while they were still at home, or after grandchildren were born.

I wonder if HER dad disowned her when she married a Catholic.

I will ask my mom.

Funny you mention that:

My (current for 15 years) wife's aunt married a Catholic up in Fancy Farm (a little town south of Cairo). That aunt's family (all First Christian) disowned her for about 5 years. They only started communicating with her a few years ago.

I have a cousin, who is a United Baptist preacher way back in a hollow (pronounced holler) in Johnson County...it's so far back that Van Lear (the home of Loretta Lynn) is considered a big city (for anybody who might know, it's a hamlet called Offutt -- it's at the mouth of Greasy Hollow...where Greasy Creek dumps into the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy river. So we're talking REALLY country. United Baptist: it's a little bit to the strict side of the Primative Baptists. His daughter went to Morehead State (about 1/2 way between Lexington and Ashland). About a year in, she converted to Catholicism. The father (the United Baptist preacher) actually took it very well. Her mother, on the other hand, was totally heartbroken. BTW, their younger daughter, who just started college, has taken a liking to the Episcopal church.

So they might survive...

Mark, it's funny you should mention the Viadellorosa. About 10 years ago, I visited Jerusalem with an old way friend, John Sch***heit, who some here might know. We walked the way of the cross, mainly I thought because it was a tourist thing to do. I didn't really care one way or another if we did it, but John wanted to. As we started to walk, and he started to talk, I became really sad about my indiference to his sufferings. I guess I really didn't get it before, or something. It was a difficult trek, even in my Birkenstocks.

I must say that it was a turning point in my Christian life. Having been raised Catholic, I was familiar with the stations of the cross, and had pretty much spaced out when I was required to do them. as a kid.

I don't know what happened to me in Jerusalem, when I walked the stations, but somethihg stirred in my heart that I never expected. I thought about all the pilgrims, 2000 years worth, who had gone before me, and prayed and knelt and called on his name, and somehow I was moved like I hadn't been in a hundred twigs. Something happened there, to me, that I can't really explain. I guess I realized for maybe the first time in my life, that Jesus was/is a real live human that suffered, died, and was raised. And he was God's son. He did it all for me, yes for me, and that I learned from my Catholic upbringing.

Nobody is gonna prevent me from talking to him, and loving him, and "fellowshipping" with him. I haven't walked in his steps at all. I will never pretend to. But I will recognize his footprints, I hope.

Mark, it's funny you should mention the Viadellorosa. About 10 years ago, I visited Jerusalem with an old way friend, John Sch***heit, who some here might know. We walked the way of the cross, mainly I thought because it was a tourist thing to do. I didn't really care one way or another if we did it, but John wanted to. As we started to walk, and he started to talk, I became really sad about my indiference to his sufferings. I guess I really didn't get it before, or something. It was a difficult trek, even in my Birkenstocks.

I must say that it was a turning point in my Christian life. Having been raised Catholic, I was familiar with the stations of the cross, and had pretty much spaced out when I was required to do them. as a kid.

I don't know what happened to me in Jerusalem, when I walked the stations, but somethihg stirred in my heart that I never expected. I thought about all the pilgrims, 2000 years worth, who had gone before me, and prayed and knelt and called on his name, and somehow I was moved like I hadn't been in a hundred twigs. Something happened there, to me, that I can't really explain. I guess I realized for maybe the first time in my life, that Jesus was/is a real live human that suffered, died, and was raised. And he was God's son. He did it all for me, yes for me, and that I learned from my Catholic upbringing.

Nobody is gonna prevent me from talking to him, and loving him, and "fellowshipping" with him. I haven't walked in his steps at all. I will never pretend to. But I will recognize his footprints, I hope.

I think that is why a lot of Protestants have adopted this devotion in their own lives. As you found out, the stations are a powerful tool to help us appreciate exactly what He did for us. And, back to the specific point, this is the first step in truly developing that close relationship with Him.

Thanks for sharing that!

Well, I've been in trouble before and had to hire a lawyer to plead for me. I had to talk to him prior to and after we appeared before the judge. The Bible says that Jesus is our advocate and it seems only right that we can and should talk to him. That's not to say that we don't talk to God, too, but I don't see where we are told that we shouldn't talk to him at all. *shrug* But then again, I'm no longer dissecting verses and straining gnats...

I have only seen the stations of the cross once and that was with my way-brained ex-catholic, ex-husband. Reading these posts makes me want to go see them again and to read Mark's links. I think in TWI, we really weren't taught the proper appreciation for Jesus's life and his accomplishments. Whenever Jesus was mentioned there was always a "yeah, but...." attached to it.

IMO, there is no "yeah, but..." and I've pretty much chucked as much of that attitude as I can. ;)

BTW, Mark, depending on how you're travelling...you have to travel through Van Lear and Offutt to get to the hollow (holler) where my mom and dad live. :D

Edited by Belle

I think in TWI, we really weren't taught the proper appreciation for Jesus's life and his accomplishments. Whenever Jesus was mentioned there was always a "yeah, but...." attached to it.

IMO, there is no "yeah, but..." and I've pretty much chucked as much of that attitude as I can. ;)

I hear ya Belle.

TWI taught us the Jesus Christ was absent. And while he may be absent physically on earth, at times, if he chooses , he is not absent spiritually.

The Bible make it clear we can and should have fellowship with Jesus Christ (I John 1:3)

Stephen prayed/talked with Jesus Christ. (Acts 7:59,60)

Jesus Christ is the head of the body, not the BOT's of TWI (Ephesians 1:20-23)

Jesus Christ is our mediator and intercedes for us with God (Hebrews 7:24 and 25; Romans 8:34)

Jesus Christ strengthens us (Philippians 4:13)

Jesus Christ gives revelation (Galatians 1:11-12)

How can we not communicate with Jesus Christ if he's doing all these things? How can he be absent?

Unfortunately when your taught about an absent Christ, who is supposed to be our Lord, people in TWI had a tendency to replace his lordship with some "leader" in TWI.

Edited by Outin88.

• 1 month later...
Do you pray/talk to Jesus? I don't know Him as well as I would like but at least He is no longer a total stranger to me. And the name Jesus (and Yeshua) has become sweet to me, and it is about time. For me, anyway.

I don't think it makes much difference to pray with or without the Christ. As long as we have both in our heart.

And whereever you are and whatever you're doing, I really Hope your life is going well.

Gee, I thought this was the title of the Doobie Brothers hit which was sung at the first ROA in '71. By the way(pun not intended) China Grove,NC is just north of Charlotte.

Ok, I went to the WAY website *shudder*, and re-read all their bunko..........

You know, Jesus really is "absent" even in all their pages. Amazing! No wonder we all have a problem in this category. Jesus was only talked about in passing or to close out prayer.

Even when they titled a teaching "Jesus Christ our risen Lord" (for April 2005), it wasn't about him at all!

It was about what God wrought through Jesus, to give us abundance.... huh, go figure.

Peace, Grace, new birth, no condemnation.......

There it was "resurection Sunday" and they don't even talk about our Lord. They just go back to themselves and what "we get".

I don't need to always say Christ either. Sometimes I need to make myself just say JESUS did this, or Jesus did that........

so ya, Jesus is alright with me too.