GreaseSpot Cafe

Coffee

Raf

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality is, coffee only maintains its coffee status if it has two or fewer added ingredients, and there are rules concerning those ingredients. For example, if, in an attempt to lighten your coffee, you add dust... what's in that cup is no longer coffee. It's a chemistry experiment. Further, you're only allowed to sweeten with one ingredient. If you use that French Vanilla creamer (liquid) and add sugar, you no longer have coffee. You have a diabetic threat.

My mother told me when I was a kid, that only black coffee is real coffee.

First known discovery of coffee berries. Legend of goat herder Kaldi of Ethiopia who notices goats are friskier after eating red berries of a local shrub. Experiments with the berries himself and begins to feel happier.

The coffee first trees are cultivated on the Arabian peninsula. Coffee is first roasted and boiled by Arabs making "qahwa" --- a beverage made from plants.

The worlds first coffee shop opens in Constantinople. It is followed by the establishment of two coffee houses in 1554.

Coffee, introduced to the West by Italian traders, grabs attention in high places. In Italy, Pope Clement VIII is urged by his advisers to consider that favorite drink of the Ottoman Empire part of the infidel threat. However, he decides to "baptize" it instead, making it an acceptable Christian beverage.

ok here's a tip for u coffee lovers

coffee bean international

out of portland

you must give them a company name in order to be a customer

make one up

prices are almost half for the good stuff

i like their anniversary blend

the strongest they have

20 pound minimum

order 40 and free shipping

whole bean or ground

of course i get whole bean

the fresher the grind the better

coffee lovers!!!

Edited by CM

Coffee Bean International...

Sounds like a CULT!

Think I'll join that one and stay in for a lifetime!

=============

The only thing better than a strong cuppa joe, is CHOCOLATE COVERED COFFEE BEANS!

When I used to work 12+ hour shifts in retail, there was a Gloria Jean's next door. I hate their coffee, but LOVED the vending machine just inside their door where I could get a handfull of chocolate covered buzz-buzz for $0.25. A couple of hits off that during the work day and I was leaping tall buildings in a single bound! There was white chocolate, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate (my fav!) - oh, man!

Tonight I start working the graveyard shift at the hospital (help desk) - it's a 10 hour shift. I'm not looking forward to it. Maybe some chocolate covered coffee beans will help! Hmmmmmm...... <_<

I love coffee! But I like mine VERY and EXTREMELY strong with a shot of fat free half-and-half and 1/2 tsp of splenda. Just a little light and a little sweet with STRONG coffee flavor!!!

Did I say I prefer Peet's Coffee over Starbucks? I'm a changed woman! I never dreamed I would kick Starbuck's to the curb. I'm from the Northwest, so naturally, I LOVED Starbuck's. Now when I taste it, it tastes bitter. But that could be because I make it tooooooo STRONG!!!

Starbuck's has real coffee? :biglaugh:

I once ordered a cafe au lait at one of the shops here. They didn't offer coffee with chicory at all. When I asked them about it I was told something rude like, "we are trying to teach you how to drink coffee" <_< I wasn't amused. I walked away muttering "damn northern coffee" ;)

You can't screw up an espresso, so I would order that now and again :D Its been a long time since I've stopped at a coffee shop.

gc

Probably a dumb question, but what do they do to take the caffiene out and make it decaf, if I may mention that word on this thread?

Of course you can mention that dirty, nasty word.

European Process

Most decaf coffees are made using a chemical process first used in Europe. This process involves soaking the beans in water and then "washing" them in methylene chloride to absorb the caffeine from the bean. After this, the beans are rinsed clean of the chemicals, dried and shipped to the coffee roasters. The advantage of this method is that it provides decaf coffee with more flavor than the Swiss water processing. Although there is virtually no trace of any chemicals left in the bean after roasting, some people are uncomfortable knowing that the coffee they are drinking was chemically processed.

Swiss Water Process

The second method is known as "Swiss water processing". This process uses no chemicals, but rather hot water and steam to remove the caffeine from the coffee. The "life" of the bean is taken into the water, and then the water solution put through activated charcoal filters to remove the caffeine. Once the caffeine is removed, these same beans are then put back into the decaffeinated solution to re-absorb everything except the caffeine. The beans are then dried and shipped to the roasters. The disadvantage is that the water processing removes more than just the caffeine. Some of the oils from the coffee bean are removed as well, making it less flavorful.

The best thing to do for those who really want this kind of decaf is to start out with a high quality, Arabica bean. Even though some of the flavor will be lost, there will still be a lot left to enjoy.

After reading this, why would anybody want decaf? :yawn1::sleep1:

Edited by moony3424

Welcome T-bone

I'll have to try one myself next time I'm "gassing up."

love the bottom of your screen..............

"exceedingl abundantly above all the bs".................................haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lol

love it.

Edited by bliss

WELCOME T-BONE!!

I LOVE your signature line!!!

I am definitely living exceeding abundantly above the b.s. since leaving.

An especially nice cup like the one Moony offered you deserves something extra special so I whipped up this Monkey Bread for you. I hope you like it. I look forward to reading more of you around these parts.

r12327fp.jpg