• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Act2:

Love the guitars!

I disagree that one can have TOO MANY guitars. Just no such thing. Ever.

Bigger than the dollar value of guitars is the sentimental value to the owner. They are like children.

There was a story about Ed King who had a 1959 Les Paul that was stolen when he was on the road.

Fortunately, there was insurance on it, and it was a stated value policy and the insurance company paid the loss. However, Ed was never happy. That guitar meant an awful lot to him. So over the years he continued to look for his wayward 59. After a few years, he found a collector in England and made an inquiry about whether the gentleman had a 59 in his collection. He received an affirmative response. He asked further and found that low and behold his guitar came into the collection of this Englishman, who collected for collection's sake not because he could play any of them. Ed pursued his ownership right and was told that the actual owner would be the insurance company since they paid on the loss. He called the insurance company and they told him that they had no interest. Ed got his guitar back. His "baby" no longer travels.

nash_music-industry-1.jpg Ed King and his 1959 Gibson Les Paul

Awesome story, thank you.

Y'all can read the story yourself of course but this was one gem:

One of 1,700 Les Pauls made by Gibson in 1959, King's guitar is now valued at $40,000. "They are in a world all by themselves," he says. "To a guitar player like myself who grew up in the '60s and '70s, the 1959 Les Paul was the ultimate blues guitar. The guitar seems to play itself; it can cry and scream and evoke almost any emotion you can imagine. There isn't any guitar being made today that can do that."

Edited by ChattyKathy

Mssr. Strange, yes! Ray G played with Roy Buchanan on two recording sessions I believe. I thnk he's on the "Street Called Straight" album for one. (Roy had several albums, described in the biography "An American Axe", where the idea was to get him grouped in with other musicians and songs and try to get it to gel. According to the bio and even a couple stories I've heard myself they didn't always, unfortunately, although the music was always good and his playing always consistent)

RG has worked with a lot of different artists, not always well known outside of musicians circles and even then not to some. F'instance, he's the guitarist on "School Days", the Stanley Clarke tune from the album of the same name. Very innovative sound on that tune.

Welcome masterherbalist! Thanks for sharing that story - and that pic of Ed says it all Chatty - Ed looks HAPpy to have his baby back!! And for good reason - '59 Paul's like that are the Holy Grail of LP's. Or one of them, anyway. :dance:

The collector's aspect to vintage instrumetns is a two-edged sword, eluded to in your story of Ed, masterherbalist. The value of instruments as they get traded goes up. That's good for placing value on the guitar in general. It's bad in that it places instruments in the hands of investor/collectors, not musicians. It's been said that process takes them out of the flow where they'll be available and even played and puts them in display cases. I guess it's a natural process but it can be disconcerting to know that in time, some of these guitars could all but disappear from the market. So it's a interesting situation. All kinds of things feed a guitar's value - like the guy in White Stripes using an old Airline model of guitar, Chas wrote about earlier in the thread - that guitar has huge memory value for a lot of guitarists, yet in it's original state it was definitely not a great playing guitar. But if you were a kid and saw it in the old Montgomery Ward or Sears catalogues it looked like a million bucks! Now all these years later they show up worth big bucks. Strange. :)

Edited by socks

Here is a cool tune - by someone worth checking out - Jake Shimabukoro, who plays ukelele. The song is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", a video of hiim performing it live in Central Park, NY, on Youtube. I bet you'd like this Chatty. :wave:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - if this link doesn't work try a search for Jake on Youtube.com and scroll down the results.....

Orange World is a bluegrass style tune, for dmiller... :)

socks, what a cool website about George. I love Mark O'Connor and the Cash's of course. I told hubby about the website and I know he will want to check it out. He LOVES anything to do with music.

masterherbalist, you are right, I guess. BUT if hubby would get serious and start PLAYING the guitars, I could understand about keeping them. Neither of us has children to pass anything down to, so if the price is right, we may sell them and use that to HELP buy me a new gas-saving car. My Ford Expedition is a gas guzzler!!!

Anyway, thought I would check in before heading out to a cookout with friends. I made the baked beans and mac salad.

Have a safe holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave:

Here is a cool tune - by someone worth checking out - Jake Shimabukoro, who plays ukelele. The song is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", a video of hiim performing it live in Central Park, NY, on Youtube. I bet you'd like this Chatty. :wave:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - if this link doesn't work try a search for Jake on Youtube.com and scroll down the results.....

Orange World is a bluegrass style tune, for dmiller... :)

He is tremendous. I love his version of WMGGW. And minimized the screen so I couldn't see him playing the second to listen for his home's flavor. Well I got so carried away with enjoying it I forgot to listen so I am listening again. :)

Edited by ChattyKathy

A couple years ago I got an XM radio to listen to at work. One of the cd's being featured on the blues channel about six months ago was "Bronx in Blue" by Dion(remember Dion & The Belmonts?) It is acoustic and is , for the most part, solo except for some background percussion. Mostly blues standards and one Hank Sr. tune. The guitar has a very rich, full sound. His website states it is a Martin SP-000C-16E. I admit to not really knowing Martin guitars very well but this one sure sounds sweet. It's worth a listen.

Number 11, reporting for duty, Sir!

I'm glad you enjoyed it CK! I'm in the process of learning it. It's such a pretty ballad.

I saw T.E. last year in a Workshop and he was really a gentleman, and as enthusiastic as any about his music and what he does. A real pleasure to listen to and to watch.

Jake and the ukelele - that's really a nice sound. I read online that's a "tenor" Ukelele, not sure. Thre's also a piece on youtube where he's playing a "six string" ukelele.

Standard tuning for Uke is a C6 chord - G - C - E - A, with the G above middle C, so it's sounds out the

"My dog has fleas" melody. :) So it's a 4th, a 3rd and another 4th, in sequence. Pedal steels use a C6 tuning, among others (E9 is popular too). Lap steels also commonly use both.

Uke's have that tinkly arpeggio sound when picked. That guy really gets a beautiful sound out of his!

Edited by socks

Socksman, heehee.....#11 reporting for duty.

Jake certainly can make beautiful sounds from his. And I think Tommy is going to become one of my favorites.

It's real foggy outside (what does that have to do with guitars I wonder). :unsure:

David, so this makes me #13 and that will be my lucky # not to end up on top, right...... :)

socks, hubby says if we can get a good price out of the Gibson guitars, he will sell them and put that money towards me a new car.

Two more days till the brunch. Bobbie will be coming in the morning to pick out her hat.

For my table, I will have the Gibson guitar on its stand beside the table, a 100-yr old book "The First Violin", a Baptist hymnal (about 60 yrs old) that was used in the church my dad attended as a teen, a picture frame shaped like a guitar with a pic of my hubby holding a mandolin & his dad holding the guitar that will be appraised, sheet music rolled up & tied with burgandy ribbon, a small flower arrangement with burgandy & pinks, a picture frame shaped like an old phonograph with a pic of Patsy Cline, 2 paperback choir books that are about 50 years old, AND Ghirardelli dark chocolate with Raspberry filling squares that are individually wrapped in gold & mauve foil.

Now I have to get ready to go to work!!