GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

(Does what a spider can?? I don't see him coming out of noses!!)

:biglaugh:

u r 1 sic dude!

:evildenk:

=============

socks - that dude on the link has the song so distorted you hardly recognize it...

the way we got into the spiderman theme here at home is that my oldest got the spiderman edition of Leap Frog's Leappad. It's like an interactive book for kids - very smart. Anyhow, he went nuts about it - totally into it. We perform for the kids - our audience - and I guess you can count the cats, unless we crank up too much - they don't like that!

:confused:

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Socks,

You said.. wow.. he's so YOUNG there.. am I missing something??? Are we supposed to view these concerts? :huh:

Or were you just mentioning his voice and the fact that HE WAS young?

What amazed me was that his voice hasn't changed at all...it has remained the same pretty much. And didn't know that Fire and Rain was about a time where he spent in a mental institution.

All in all... amazing musician.

Yeah, A la. Can't you see it?

Just kidding! Ha ha ha!!! Put down the pipe!!

The concert date is 1970, Berkley Community Theater, California. (been there many times, GREAT concert location)

He was born in 1948, so that makes him 22 years old at that time.

My daughter's 23, son is 25. He was younger than either of them is now.

The other thing I noticed is that little picture. My son Jesse grew his hair out for about a year, had a beard off and one. He looks a lot like J.T. did in that time frame, tall, thin, the cheekbones, eyes. I've been told he's a good looking lad. I guess I just sort of flashed for a second how young Taylor was then, writing those songs so thoughtfully at that point and at that age.

Socks,

Yeah, A la. Can't you see it?

Don't mess with this fragile mind :huh:

Yes.. very very young with such introspective lyrics. A gifted individual certainly.

I envy you having had the chance to see concerts at this concert hall... :( :angry:

Wow.. Jesse is a very attractive individual... I can't imagine with the long hair. He must have to literally throw the women off!!! :o

oh to be young again... sigh :cryhug_1_:

Edited by A la prochaine

*bump*

Anyone check out Rocco Deluca?

This is cut from the VH1 site:

Coming across like a cross between Beck's casual mastery of various musical idioms (minus the surrealistic sarcasm) and Jon Spencer Blues Explosion with a much stronger take on the music's history, Rocco Deluca plays a decidedly modern take on traditional blues-rock. Born in Southern California in 1976, Deluca claims to have largely grown up on the R&B touring circuit, the son of a single father who was one of Bo Diddley's backing guitarists. Exposed to the blues both on the tour bus and in family living room jam sessions, Deluca picked up the guitar at a young age, and eventually settled on the Dobro (a resonating metal-top guitar that was a key part of Delta blues in the age before amplification) as his primary instrument. After several years continuing the vagabond lifestyle of his childhood, Deluca settled back in Los Angeles and started a weekly residency at the Gypsy Lounge, a well-known blues and country bar in Orange County. While opening for bluesmen like Taj Mahal, Deluca caught the attention of an A&R representative for Ironworks Records, a new independent label started by '80s pop singer Jude Cole and actor Kiefer Sutherland, and in 2004 became the label's first signing. During sessions for Deluca's first album, produced by Cole, the pair put together a full-time backing band for Deluca's vocals and Dobro, consisting of bassist Dave Beste, percussionist Gary Velasquez, and drummer Ryan Carman. That debut album, I Trust You to Kill Me, was released in March 2006, coinciding with a DVD documentary by the same title that featured Sutherland shepherding Rocco Deluca & the Burden on their first international press tour. ~ Stewart Mason, All Music Guide

This might be a bit off topic, but I've been playing around with alternate tunings for the past couple of months - mostly revisiting Joni Mitchell songs.

I found these sites really interesting and a way to look at tunings without actually needing to hear the note the string is tuned to...

Joni Mitchell Tunings Notations and

Joni Mitchell Tuning Patterns

They're fun to play with.

I also found some really wonderful strings called Cleartone. I switched from Extra Light to Light because of all the alternate tunings -- there's not as much twang when I tune down. These strings are expensive - but really worth it, IMO, I think they're much better than Elixirs - which I never cared for anyway! They're supposed to last 3 times longer than D'Addario or Martin Strings. Mine aren't that old yet, so I'll let you know it that's really true. It's been a couple of weeks and they still sound brand new.

HOPE!!!

So glad to hear you've picked up your guitar again.

YOOHOOO!!!!! :dance:

I also hear that your daughter is doing very well for herself ... playing and singing!!

Yes, Joni's tunings... I was told that she used up to 12 different tunings... amazing to me just amazing!

Just discoved this guy on the AMG site.

AMG sends me an email every 2 weeks or so letting me know all the new releases.

I always feel like such a boob when I find out about a performer who's real good and somehow I know nothing about them.

Like my head has been in the sand or something.

Anyhoooo.... here's Eric Bibb. He's actually playing in Toronto tomorrow night and I can't go! POOP! :asdf:

Eric reminds me somewhat of Keb Mo'. Check him out.

I probably shouldn't be out and about anyway... Dr. thinks I have walking pneumonia... sheesh..that almost sounds serious. I'm on heavy drugs so I prob shouldn't be seen in public at this point! :wacko:

Edited by A la prochaine

I'm witcha Chatty!

Hope, I want to check out the Clear tones...I think I've seen them up locally but not sure. I will get a set and try them. Thanks!

I go with Polar Bear on the drop D - it's very usable, adds a lot of sound and retunes quickly. I'd like to get a couple acoustic guitars and have them for alternate tunings though. There's a lot that gets done. I've only worked with E and a C tuning much.

I was just surfing on the NPR website, looking for podcasts, and came across this - I know there's some banjo pickers in this mix, and thought you might like this link...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6922513

Enjoy!

Banjo rap:

Them Banjo Pickers by Mason Williams:

"How 'bout them banjo pickers ain't they fine

Same damn song for three or four times.

Them banjo pickers all they know

Is Cumberland Gap and doe-see-doe.

Them banjo pickers talking 'bout strings

Banjo pegs and other such things.

Them banjo pickers, them poker faced mugs

They never do smile, they just play Scruggs.

You want to be a banjo picker you don't need a ticket

Just get yourself a banjo rare back and pick it... "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chas -- YEA!! Showcasing the Five! :biglaugh:

Tony Trishka was one the hottest banjo pickers EVER back in the late 1970's.

(still is right up there with the best -- but that was his "hey-day").

He could do chromatic picking (ie--note for note fiddle tune stuff), like nobodies business.

He and another guy named Bill Keith were pioneers in this aspect of picking.

They acually introduced real notes, and scales -- to the rest of us,

poor Scruggs-pickers!! ;)

Bela -- what can anyone say about him, that doesn't enter the superlative realm???

He is both the Master, and the Masterpiece -- all wrapped up in one.

The consumate musician -- regardless of whatever piece he decides to play.

And he WON'T perform it on stage -- if he doesn't think he has it totally right.

Steve Martin learned banjo with two other (famous) folks in California.

One was John McEuen -- of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band fame;

And the other student was Jerry Garcia -- of the Greatful Dead fame.

Could you imagine having those three as students of yours in a banjo class??

There was a time -- when those three were together -- in one room,

with the same teacher --- learning banjo (of all things)!

And look where they took it .

:o :P :o

Jerry played banjo on all the Old and in the Way albums (there's two that I know of),

and he was a good pedal steel player as well -- with the New Riders of the Purple Sage.

Edited by dmiller

i remember reading an article somewhere not long ago (of course, it could've been 5 years ago, but it just seems like last month) that joni was using the Roland VG8 guitar modeler so she could jump from one tuning to another without messing with tunings or switching guitars.

i've never done much with alternate tunings, but this seemed like the way to go!

Those bango classes would be worth loads of money if recorded I bet.

Kathy --- What's a banGo???????

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quick story (circa 1995) about Ashland, Wisconsin, which is 75 miles from me.

Some friends of mine over there wanted to set up a fiddle contest,

and they asked me to come to their organizational meeting to offer suggestions,

and speak of how it was *done* in other areas.

Well -- I spoke my piece (as I'm wont to do), and they took the suggestions to heart.

But somewhere along the line -- someone interested in the *equality of all instruments*,

decided that it should be more than JUST a fiddle contest.

Upshot of it all is --

they decided to use my recommendations for the fiddle contest (it was hugely successful),

but decided to also add a banjo and fiddle *duet* category as well.

When I heard that -- I wasn't too displeased (since they were sticking to the *genre*),

and I thought it might be an added *draw*, for entertainment purposes,

for whatever crowd might choose to show up, for the initial, 1st Annual event.

Like I said -- the fiddle contest was an absolute success (sadly -- it's now defunct), :(

but what I got a HUGE kick out of then -- was the printing on the trophies.

Whoever did up the trophies that were to be awarded -- knew how to spell *fiddle* & *banjo*.

But when the trophies arrived at the auditorium --- every last one that was to be awarded to the *duet* pickers,

were printed up (engraved in metal) ---

Fiddle and Bango Duet - 1st place

Fiddle and Bango Duet - 2nd place

Fiddle and Bango Duet - 3rd place

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

(In retrospect -- I guess those awards with their mis-spellings might be worth some money now!)

It was a huge source of amusement (to all concerned) back then!!