GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Thanks for those clips, Socks. Wooten’s solo is something else: sounds like he’s playing a hybrid percussion/bass instrument at the first part – then three quarters of the way through it sounds like he’s strumming a guitar. Fishbone was interesting. I especially liked the first one, Everyday Sunshine – it reminded me of Sly and the Family Stone’s sound…I wonder if we’re related…having the same last name? Wonder if they’d be interested in a collaborative project…title the CD Surf & Turf…Love that picture of your family.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Chatty and T-Bone. We're just a happy bunch.

Everyday Sunshine definitely has that Sly Stone sound. Kendall Jones was the original guitarist and did some funky rhythm stuff. I love the way the bass drops down into the sub-strata on the section between chorus and verse and then goes right back to the groove in the verse.

Interestingly, Jones joined - I think it was the Children of God back in the 90's, if I remember right his Father was a member. Somewhere along the way after that he was reported in a news story running around the streets of L.A. yelling about the Apocalypse coming, waving a gun. John Norwood, the bass player, tried to get him back with the band by tying him up and "kidnapping" him, sort of a Ska-Intervention, I guess. Interesting band. They've influenced a lot of bands, notably No Doubt who sounded a lot like them when they were first out and credit their influence. In the same way Fishbone drew from George Clinton's Funkadelics and Parliament and Sly Stone, etc. etc.

Wooten - what can ya say? :dance:

Dang it, Socks – I was giving GSC a fast going over 'cause I want to get to bed – and yah had to post a Cream clip – and not just any ol' Cream clip but the cream of the Cream clip! Chatty, if you love Sunshine of Your Love you ought to check out the DVD Cream: Disraeli Gears…the definitive authorized story of the album…It has interviews, acoustic performance and archival footage. One of the best spots is Eric's acoustic rendering of Sunshine of Your Love.

While I'm on the subject of Cream – let me get a little ranting out of the way. What the heck happened with the sound track on the Cream Farewell Concert on DVD? There's enough reverb and muddiness on it – that it sounds like they mixed the whole thing at Sponge Bob's house with Gary the Cat as engineer. Golly gee – the Fresh Live Cream DVD with archive footage [from which the You Tube clip came from] is way mo better. Oh well, I guess it's better than not having it at all.

Edited by T-Bone

T-Bone, I'm with you on the Reunion audio. It was great to see them together again, but overall it lacked clarity, at least on the televised version I watched. Claptons' tone is so identifiable, yet it seemed manufactured rather than produced by the natural dynamics of the guitar, technique and of course, volume.

That early clip shows the bite that he got in his bluesy legato style, the little hammer-offs and ons. The Hendrix style octaves he starts the solo out with sre cool - the first 8 notes of the solo quote the opening line from the song "Blue Moon" - "Blue moon, you saw me standing alone" - although I've never seen it written about, it's the same notes. I remember the first time I heard it I wondered if he did it deliberately as a ref' to the Blues, or if it was to the song being titled "Sunshine" of your love. Or if it was just a cool riff.

Speaking of early guitar recordings - some other guitar stuff found on the YouToob -

Holy music, if ever there was: Santo and Johnny - "Sleepwalk" - 1959

Two Disciples of Sound do it again - Kotke and Atkins

Socks, great clips – Tonto and I recognized Sleepwalk right away – always liked that tune didn’t know the name. The Kotke/Atkins version is beautiful. Tonto turned me on to Kotke before we were married and we used several of his tunes at our wedding.

Cool, ca-razee cool! Sleepwalk was, is one of the greats. Glad ya dig it! And Kotke is a great player. Leo at your wedding - that's some good music!

It pret' near shocked me to see that clip of Santo and Johnny playing, a live cut! of the tune!

Edited by socks

Chatty, you made me think of Jerry Van Dyke's character on the Dick Van Dyke show. He played Rob's brother, and would come to life while as a sleepwalker playing the banjo and cutting up. Tonto is trying to remember what he'd call Rob while in his sleepwalking mode – was it "Burford"? Maybe you Nostalgia Scholars can help us out.

I don't recall the name myself but that sounds close if not it.

They had special locks on the door that I couldn't get to when I was a child because I would leave the house in the middle of the night and never know I was or where I went. Lately I've been talking in my sleep but haven't walked in it since I was pregnant.

Edited by ChattyKathy

Belle.... no idea who he is... sorry... (I assume he was out before I was in....) (Chas was in 1988-2000...)

------

I was thinking it would be cool to have a Guitar Thread CD - maybe some of the great songs we've talked about here on this thread...

What cha' think?

Could be a neat project....

:)

Oh heck yeah!! What a GREAT IDEA!!

I'd love one of those CDs! I don't know jack about guitars, but LOVE having learned of the music y'all have mentioned on here and reading your stories.

Dig this guitar he has...

That's one sweet resonator! OH,YEAH!

Kathy------Do you have to wear biker leathers when you play that or only when you tune it? :)