GreaseSpot Cafe

What does it mean to be a "grease spot by midnight?"

ex10

Johniam's post on the superlative thread got me to thinking (ok, for a nanosecond anyway icon_biggrin.gif:D--> ) about what it means to be a "greasespot by midnight."

Does that mean if you exit TWI you can come here and post immediately and be a part of this illustrious gang of misfits in the cult?

Little did loyboy know how prophetic his words were....

I guess he was afraid if we left, we might actually turn into homeowners, or churchgoers, or God forbid, contributing members of society?

I'm proud to be a grease spot. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

IMHO LCM meant that if you leave the Way, you will be a greasespot--as in you will be hit by a mack truck and after your remains are scraped away all that will be left of you is a greasespot on the road.

People left because they were weak, slothful and/or hardhearted, in TWI's view. And weak equals evil, unproductive evil. Hiding out in the household, causing weakness to spread etc. Weakness brings down strength, ya know.

greas-sup o, I mean wasup!

I'm proud to be associated with you fine folks.

Us greasers have united under the flag of freedom,individuality and most of all to be greasy.

I'v tried to de-grease myself to no avail. I'v tried Sea Breeze, alcohol, and a little Clericil. I'v been to the Dr. about my condition and he said I have a terminal case of greasiness.

SSSSSSOOOOOO....I guess I will have to live with being a grease spot and just hope for the best.

GREASLY YOURS, Imbus

P.S If I'm a good grease spot can I come back and be reincarnated into Boil on LOYBOY'S face?

Just to make sure we all understand WHAT lcm MEANT by that saying....

He meant that when someone left (or was kicked out of twi) that SPIRITUALLY, and most probably PHYSICALLY, there would be nothing of them left by MIDNIGHT.

THAT SAID......I like our meanings better. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

For you arm chair lawyers out there.....do a search on UNDUE INFLUENCE...this is a textbook illustration of the term.

Radar

Oh yeah....Hi Kaisericon_smile.gif:)-->

I could be wrong about this but I think that when lcm began spewing his "grease spot by midnight" blather, he was actually quoting from a comic book. That's right, a comic book.

During the 60's and 70's Marvel comic books featured the "Fantastic Four". One of the heros was a grotesque "orange guy" named "the Thing" He was prone to using such phrases as "it's clobberin' time" and "you couldn't scare a second hand Barbie doll", etc. One of his most used phrases was "you'll be a greasespot by midnight"!

I'm sure that martindale related very much to the "neanderthal, always ready for a fight" metality of "the Thing". As lcm read the writings of Stan Lee, he probably said... "YES!"

Often times when watching him spit all over his audience, spewing out platitudes of ultimatums and "flowery" language...I would be reminded of this Marvel comic charector. (I was a big fan in junior high).

I'm quite serious. The greasespot by midnight thing really was used a LOT in Marvel comics. I'm guessing that lcm was HEAVILY influenced by Stan Lee's writings...knowing lcm's personality and low intellect...it fits.

Strange-

I don't remember "the Thing" ever saying that.

Zixar, did you ever see it? You might remember the 70's FF better

than me. I didn't start reading them til Mr Fantastic lost his

stretching power. (Literally with that issue.) That must have been

around '77, though.

WW: I don't remember it being uttered a single time in any of the 70s comics I read, and I read Marvel exclusively back then. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but of all the myriad Stan Lee catchphrases, GSBM doesn't ring a bell at all. I couldn't find any Google mention of it WRT Fantastic Four sites. The Hulk was too stupid to say it, and the only other hero I can think of who might have said it would be Luke Cage. There were a lot of stupid bricks in the Marvel world, like the villains Juggernaut and Rhino, but they weren't common enough to make GSBM a catchphrase.

Again, it's not like I read every issue of every title, but that phrase wasn't used often enough to register, if it was. With Ben Grimm, you think of "It's Clobberin' Time!", or references to his Aunt Petunia, but not GSBM.

I go back to '64 with the Fantastic Four and Ben Grimm may have threatened to make somebody or something into a grease spot at one time, but the "by midnight" part doesn't ring true.

There's a rumor going around the internet that Michael Chiklis is going to play Grimm in the FF movie coming out in 2005.

They'd better get on the ball if they haven't even cast the FF movie yet. The SFX are going to be hard to complete for a 2005 release. Chiklis would make a good Ben Grimm. Don't know whom I'd cast for the other roles, though.

I also remember a joke LCM made about a sap being some one who runs out of the Way Tree.

Just another example of how we were brainwashed into not leaving. The only thing that kept me in that outfit for the last several years of my involvement was the false belief that it was wrong to leave.