GreaseSpot Cafe

What kind of books do you read now?

One thing that always kinda bugged me in TWI was how we were discouraged from reading outside sources. Therefore, we only read PFAL & related books.

However, I remember hearing that Dr. Wierwille read copious amounts from many resources. Gee, was he the only person who could "handle" all this information? Does anyone else find this a little insulting. Were we so mentally & spiritually incompetent as to use our own minds?

Personally, I am reading a lot of works by G.K. Chesterton right now. He was a prolific writer who lived in the early 1900's. Although he was Roman Catholic, he has incredibly valuable insights into life.

What about you guys?

My favorite fiction author is John Lescroart (who writes a series of San Francisco based legal thrillers).

I'm really enjoying the New Living Tranlsation of the Bible, which is highly readable. Max Lucado serves up some really inspirational work (easily digestible pieces, too, which matters).

I've tried reading the Left Behind books, but they're, umm, they're, well, they're really bad. I mean awful writing here. Blech. "It was the worst of times, it was the worst of times." Stop it, you're killing me guys!

Also getting into a novel written by a colleague of mine, Jonathon King. The novel is called "The Blue Edge of Midnight." He's already published the follow-up, "A Visible Darkness," so I have some catching up to do.

Reading! now there is a subject I enjoy.

Deen Koontz, love his; finishing Door To December tonight.

John Saul, read everyone I could find.

Jonathon and Faye Kellerman, read them often.

King, my favorite thus far has been Desparado.

Forensic Science stuff fascinates me.

True Crime stories are even better, especially when they include the forensics of the crimes.

Books on reflexology, massage, herbal medicine and eastern health methods.

Favorite Book Ever: An Egg Named Egger written by Kelly R. North

[This message was edited by Shellon on July 20, 2003 at 23:48.]

I always try to get through one Michener novel a year.

I used to like Tom Clancy.

Raf, I too am reading the New Living Translation and find it a powerful book.

Have you tried the Message?

Lucado is good. I like Chuck Swindoll.

I also reading alternative history novels by Harry Turtledove.

Left Behind books can't be as bad as the movie.

I've finally started learning about the nature of reality. Really! They've figured a lot of it out since the earth was flat and apples falling meant that gravity existed - Einstein's theories of relativity and special relativity, quantum mechanics, and superstring theory. Also, I've been studying the application of these theories to our lives in consequent theories such as systems theories and theories of complexity and chaos.

I suppose that all sounds weird, but here's the thing - man's philosophy in the physical sciences precedes his philosophy of everyday life. So, the mechanistic view of reality presented by Newton blossomed in the industrial age resulting in all kinds of situations which were extremely *uncomfortable* for humankind who don't fit into the machine paradigm. A couple of examples that come to mind are children working long hours in factories (the more people working more hours = greater output) and TWI (a machine based operation if I ever saw one).

The problem with that is people are not machines. It has been proven that people DON'T produce more output = to the number of hours that they work. There comes a point beyond which - well we need more than work; we're people.

TWI? Need I say anything about its obvious failure to meet the needs of humans - for whom Jesus Christ gave his life?

Yet, still - why do I find all these subjects so fascinating? Not only because they explain the nature of the failure of TWI, but also because they really do go a long way to explain what TWI should have been.

The body of Christ is an organic reality, not a machine. It is just nice to see that science - NOT - falsely so called - & Christ are compatible.

Oh well. I'm doing a lousy job of explaining this, but may it please suffice to say that the compatibilty between what I've learned from the bible and the latest realizations of physical science thrills me no end?

Okay, some simple and simply great books along these lines:

"Timeline" and "Prey" by Michael Crichton and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. Fasten your seat belts.

Tom

Yeah, wasn't that funny how the MOGs could read a lot, while we peons couldn't?

• Rereading Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, and the Robot Novels (I had a lady friend over the other night, and she noticed The Complete Robot on my end table, she asked me if I was building a robot)
  • Star Trek novels
  • Anything by Tom Clancy
  • Anything by CJ Cherryh
  • Darwin's Radio by David Brin is next on my list
  • Harry Turtledove's alternate histories
  • James Clavell's Noble House books
  • Julian May's Galactic Milieu books
  • The New York Times whenever I get the chance

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice...but in practice there is

[This message was edited by Oakspear on July 21, 2003 at 1:50.]

Well, there's fiction and non-fiction.

If anyone would have pushed a "you can't read"

doctrine on me, I would have just ignored it.

(I ignored the suggestion of "put everything

aside for 3 months", for example.)

Non-fiction wise, there's some good stuff out

there. I recommend "Lies My Teacher Told Me",

by Carl Loewen. It addresses issues of bias

and untold stories in our history books, and

WHY they're there, and WHY they're ingrained in

the system that produces textbooks.

Being a voracious reader for fun, there's a lot

of fiction I read.

I recommend Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time"

series. I recommend Modesitt's "Recluce"

series.

I do read the "Left Behind" series, and the

"Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter" series. I don't

necessarily recommend either one, but I enjoy

them both. I'm not proud-I read what

entertains me. Both include certain elements

I really like, which overcome their individual

deficiencies. I also really like what they've

been doing lately in the "Batman" comic book

series. Don't laugh-it's been getting a lot more

attention lately, and rightly so.

I'm into reading H.H. The Dalai Lama, many Buddhist texts and books. Robert T. Kiyosaki (Rich Dad, Poor Dad).

I used to be a voracious reader but now I read what I can. I have a bookcase full and half of the books I haven't read yet, or finished, titles like.

Toxic Parents, Feeling Good handbook, Conversations with God, Blooming lotus, Path to bliss, Retire Young Retire Rich, The TAO of Adundance... and many others.

Seth

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--- that principle is contempt prior to investigation." ~~~ Herbert Spencer

Aaahhh reading, my favorite thing to do! I'll read just about anything, fiction, non-fiction,sci-fi, true crimes, smut, etc.

But I do have my favorites, Steven King, Dean Koontz, Sue Grafton, Andre Norton, and Fannie Flagg. And am reading all the Little House books with my kidlet, and enjoying them all over again.

And I was never a good wayfer. I never did stop or change my reading habits while I was an innie. icon_wink.gif;)--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> love tcat

I don't do fiction too much. If I'm going to spend the time, I want to learn something concrete.

That being said, I did read "Memoirs of a Geisha", the first half or so being a really delightful window into a past I'd never considered, the last portion of the book turning into a cheap, trashy romance novel.

My favorite book this year has got to be "Guns, Germs, and Steel" - an absolutely fascinating work. Well worth the effort.

Currently I'm reading "Momoyama - Japanese Art in the Age of Grandeur" - basically it's just an exhibition catalog, but I do a lot of those.

geo.

Love to read when i find/make the time:

here are some writers i like. . .

Michener - can be verbose, but interesting from the historical value. Have read Texas, Alaska, Space, Chesapeake - need to read some more.

Ludlum - fun stuff - have read most of his material, waiting for the last few to make it to the library.

Clancy - sort of a level up from Ludlum in a sense.

Rand - loved Atlas Shrugged, liked Anthem when i read it 25 years ago - 1984ish stuff.

Hawking - i also have a penchant for the "universal."

------

Per

[This message was edited by Peruser on July 17, 2003 at 6:48.]

- you'll appreciate them more that way! Lindy - I love Michener. Historical novels are the best of both worlds, IMO. If you just skip the first hundred pages of Michener's books and get right down to the story, it doesn't seem as cumbersome - then you can go back and read the first 100 pages after you've finished the book. I thought I'd never get through "Hawaii", but that's the way I did it. It's one of my top 5 favorite books.

I recently read "The DaVinci Code" by Dan Brown - a pretty good mystery with historical twists. Galen - you might like it, there are a lot of references to Masons in it.

Of course, I read "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix". I also downloaded and burned the CD's (for my personal use, of course) and am listening to it in my van.

I also just finished a wonderful book called "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith. I loved it so much I ordered the 2nd & 3rd in this series from Amazon the day I finished it.

For light reading I like mystery novels by Sue Grafton, Patricia Cornwell, Janet Ivanovich, the Kellermans and others of the same genre. They're great for travelling and I can knock them off in a day.

I have always been a reader. Both my parents were as well. My kids are always reading something, even if it's not for school. I even read when I was in residence. There was a bookshelf in the College Division lounge stocked with all kinds of interesting novels and I would sneak in there at night and read them. It was such a nice break from reading VP's books. Oh- wait - they're the Word of God, aren't they??? oops!!!

I have read all John Grisham's books except the last one. Have seen all the movies from his books also.

Recently I read "Dereliction of Duty" by Buzz Patterson.

I have been reading some war biographies lately about Sgt Major of the Army Wm. Bainbridge. Also Ernest J. King. Both very interesting.

The decisions we make today form our future.

quote:
Originally posted by Peruser:

...Hawking - i also have a penchant for the "universal."

Peruser,

Try "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. As the back jacket says, "The Elegant Universe is completely readable....Greene threatens to do for string theory what Stephen Hawking did for black holes." - New York

Okay...I mentioned before, I love memoirs...most recently I've read "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight" by Alexandra Fuller. Great book about her growing up a white Anglican in South Africa during the 1970's (and the war) Amazing story...

I also read "Mayflower Bastard" by David Lindsay. Lindsey is a decendant of Richard More, put on the Mayflower at age 5 to be taken care of by strangers and his life there after. Pretty good. Documented history...kind of a "guy" book....lots of information about ships and the religious groups of the time. He had a friend killed as a witch in Salem...

I have also have but not yet finished..." The Lakota Way...sweet stories passed through the Lakota Tribe teaching personal values and faith.

Just for fun I read "The Best of Dorothy Parker" (LOVE HER!) and "The Wit of Oscar Wilde"

For mysteries...not exceptional but a friend got me started on Tony Hillerman who wrote The Wailing Wind, The Blessing Way, Talking God, etc....All mysteries taking place in New Mexico on the Navajo Res. I like the characters and the bits history and culture in them.

Now, my son returned the other day with our only copy of HP5 so...That's where I'll be the next couple of days.

quote:
Originally posted by def59:

Oak

Which Turtledove book is your favorite?

I am reading the series based on the premise the South won the Civil War.

Def

I enjoy that series too. I waiting for the next one in the post-World War I arc.

I believe the first one in the series was How Few Remain. It was fascinating to see how Turtledove constructed a possible history where there was not a powerful united United States and how many things it affected, including the outcome of WWI.

Another good one was Ruled Brittania where the Spanish Armada succeeds and occupies Britain.

I heartily disliked the WorldWar series, although I found it intriguing at first; where World War II is interrupted by an alien invasion.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice...but in practice there is

ive been reading in the personal growth and spirituality vein. the four agreementsby miguel ruiz, the power of now by eckart tolle and anatomy of the spirit by carolyn myss.

i have recently read slaughterhouse fiveby kurt vonnegut and catcher in the ryeby j.d. salinger.

I like biographies and books about history, but dont have much time for leisure reading.

Read books by teachers like Joyce Meyer etc. Also read books about alternative medicine.

Read a book about President Bush by one of his former speechwriters. I think it was called "The Right Man" or something like that. Good book.

Want to read "The Greatest Generation".

www.pullingdownstrongholds.com

www.anncoulter.org

musical%20teddy%20Bear.jpg