GreaseSpot Cafe

Potiphar's Wife

dmiller

quote:

Gen 39:1 And Joseph was brought down to Egypt; and Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh, captain of the guard, an Egyptian, bought him of the hands of the Ishmeelites, which had brought him down thither.

Gen 39:2 And the LORD was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian.

Gen 39:3 And his master saw that the LORD was with him, and that the LORD made all that he did to prosper in his hand.

Gen 39:4 And Joseph found grace in his sight, and he served him: and he made him overseer over his house, and all that he had he put into his hand.

Gen 39:5 And it came to pass from the time that he had made him overseer in his house, and over all that he had, that the LORD blessed the Egyptian's house for Joseph's sake; and the blessing of the LORD was upon all that he had in the house, and in the field.

Gen 39:6 And he left all that he had in Joseph's hand; and he knew not ought he had, save the bread which he did eat. And Joseph was a goodly person, and well favoured.

Gen 39:7 And it came to pass after these things, that his master's wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me.

Gen 39:8 But he refused, and said unto his master's wife, Behold, my master wotteth not what is with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand;

Gen 39:9 There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?

Joseph -- Man Of God For His Day And Time --- knew how to reject temptation, and called adultery for what it is -- a sin.

There are others (cough!) icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> who got the same temptation, and managed to

*spiritualize it*, saying that spiritual adultery is what is meant, rather than physical.

Certainly -- what Joseph faced was in the Old Testament, but now we have the New Testament which has *higher standards of learning* for those of us enlightened (these days), so it couldn't mean the same thing , right??

However -- I seem to remember hearing the OT is FOR OUR LEARNING, (or sumthin' like that).

I find it (not so ironic) that the physical sin of adultery in OT times, is the same one found in the NT times, but now with a different label (these days) -- for the convenience of those *preaching* on the topic today, while engaging in the practices of old.

Joseph was a MOG, and dealt with the temptation, accepting the imprisionment that followed, and never gave in to the temptation itself. To him -- the Word Of God WAS THE WILL OF GOD. He never *jacked* it around to fit his own definition of what was *convenient* for him.

It is interesting to me, that Potiphar's wife is NEVER named. She is always called "Potiphar's wife, his master's wife, or she" in Genesis. That to me says something. For those of you who know Bullinger"isms" more than I do, I would say that this is an emphasis by ommision of her name, yet also emphasis by calling her *Potiphar's wife*, *his master's wife*, or just plain *she* -- and with no name given -- it is her status as wife being emphasized, that Joseph refused to violate.

Thought about putting this in the Doctrinal Forum, but since it deals with the MOG (then and now), it seemed more appropriate here.

Just some thoughts I've been mulling over. The lack of her name, and the designation as *wife* "only" got me thinking the other day, and was looking to see what anyone else might think.

Too bad the modern day MOG's can't see the pattern.

quote:
Ecc.1:9 --

The thing that hath been,

is that which shall be;

and that which is done

is that which shall be done:

and there is no new thing

under the sun

dmiller: I don't think the lack of her name means anything. Remember the Shunamite woman Whose son Elisha raised from the dead (2 Kings 4)? She's called a 'great woman' and she isn't named either. But you're right. Ironically, VP himself taught on this at ROA 1980, Wednesday, the 'day of the land'. He said that when Joseph was running away when she disrobed him that the scripture doesn't say he didn't have an erection. Scored a lot of points with the young folks I bet.

I'm sure that after Joseph got 'promoted' by Pharoah that he got to square up with Potiphar since Potiphar was a supervisory officer who worked directly for Pharoah. I'm also sure that if his wife did what she did to Joseph one time she probably did it habitually and may have gotten found out.

But, yes it is noteworthy that adultery, even for Joseph who wasn't married at the time was a "sin against God"!

Very apropriate to be shared here Dmiller. Joseph went to prison rather than betray his employers trust.

THAT is what a man of character and integrity does!

Vp and lcm had neither of these qualities....just an ability to twist and torture scripture to justify the indulgance of their lusts.

It is beyond me how anyone can retain one iota of respect for these weaklings, or continue to make excuses and justifications for their betrayal.

Edited by rascal

quote:
Joseph went to prison rather than betray his employers trust.

He went to prison because he stood for God and Potiphar's wife stood for..well...not God. Joseph had no control over his employer's trust once she lied to him. She was a classic predator; even if Joseph would have gone along with her eventually she would have wearied of him and framed him anyway.

quote:
Remember the Shunamite woman Whose son Elisha raised from the dead (2 Kings 4)? She's called a 'great woman' and she isn't named either.

John -- right -- and her actions were given the more *recognition*, since she was never named either. Like I said -- since Potiphar's wife was only mentioned as that, I think it was the the *wife* aspect being called attention to, rather than the person, emphasizing the temptation rather than the person behind it.

Joseph certainly stood for God, but by doing so, he also did not betray Potiphar's trust when he decided to not give in to temptation.

And since Joseph was a MOG -- he had two "employers", not one. He kept the trust of them both.

Dunno.. I always kind of thought that she was given the ultimate insult.. "the unnamed one". Her name wasn't worth the ink to be penned in da word.

Now the lady in shunem, I kind of take that as "the awesome one", great in more ways than one, really great lady. More emphasis put on her reputation, rather than her name.

sheesh...don chew ga eyes no nuttin?

Joan Collins.

That is the name of Potiphar's wiferoo.

...and Donny being the Joseph could make a beelaver out of any loin cloth appreciating person...

...of course, maybe it would really live for me if I could read it in the original geek.

sigh...

...that to which I was alluding is found in the video version of Andrew Lloyd Weber's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

It is an awesome show, great theatre, with some howdy do numbers that really romp and stomp.

Rueben is more than a sandwich, I can tell ya that...

• 2 years later...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"><BR>Gen 39:1 And Joseph was brought down to Egypt; and Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh, captain of the guard, an Egyptian, bought him of the hands of the Ishmeelites, which had brought him down thither.<BR> <BR>Gen 39:2 And the LORD was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian. <BR><BR>Gen 39:3 And his master saw that the LORD was with him, and that the LORD made all that he did to prosper in his hand. <BR><BR>Gen 39:4 And Joseph found grace in his sight, and he served him: and he made him overseer over his house, and all that he had he put into his hand. <BR><BR>Gen 39:5 And it came to pass from the time that he had made him overseer in his house, and over all that he had, that the LORD blessed the Egyptian's house for Joseph's sake; and the blessing of the LORD was upon all that he had in the house, and in the field. <BR><BR>Gen 39:6 And he left all that he had in Joseph's hand; and he knew not ought he had, save the bread which he did eat. And Joseph was a goodly person, and well favoured. <BR><BR>Gen 39:7 And it came to pass after these things, that his master's wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me. <BR><BR>Gen 39:8 But he refused, and said unto his master's wife, Behold, my master wotteth not what is with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand; <BR><BR>Gen 39:9 There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God? </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>Joseph -- Man Of God For His Day And Time --- knew how to reject temptation, and called adultery for what it is -- a sin.<BR><BR>There are others (cough!) icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> who got the same temptation, and managed to <BR>*spiritualize it*, saying that spiritual adultery is what is meant, rather than physical. <BR><BR>Certainly -- what Joseph faced was in the Old Testament, but now we have the New Testament which has *higher standards of learning* for those of us enlightened (these days), so it couldn't mean the same thing , right??<BR><BR>However -- I seem to remember hearing the OT is FOR OUR LEARNING, (or sumthin' like that).<BR><BR>I find it (not so ironic) that the physical sin of adultery in OT times, is the same one found in the NT times, but now with a different label (these days) -- for the convenience of those *preaching* on the topic today, while engaging in the practices of old.<BR><BR>Joseph was a MOG, and dealt with the temptation, accepting the imprisionment that followed, and never gave in to the temptation itself. To him -- the Word Of God WAS THE WILL OF GOD. He never *jacked* it around to fit his own definition of what was *convenient* for him.<BR><BR>It is interesting to me, that Potiphar's wife is NEVER named. She is always called "Potiphar's wife, his master's wife, or she" in Genesis. That to me says something. For those of you who know Bullinger"isms" more than I do, I would say that this is an emphasis by ommision of her name, yet also emphasis by calling her *Potiphar's wife*, *his master's wife*, or just plain *she* -- and with no name given -- it is her status as wife being emphasized, that Joseph refused to violate.<BR><BR>Thought about putting this in the Doctrinal Forum, but since it deals with the MOG (then and now), it seemed more appropriate here.<BR><BR>Just some thoughts I've been mulling over. The lack of her name, and the designation as *wife* "only" got me thinking the other day, and was looking to see what anyone else might think.<BR><BR>Too bad the modern day MOG's can't see the pattern. <BR><BR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"><span class="ev_code_RED">Ecc.1:9 --<BR>The thing that hath been, <BR>is that which shall be; <BR>and that which is done <BR>is that which shall be done:<BR>and there is no new thing<BR>under the sun</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dmiller,

this reminds and you probably already know about twi's latest family class with the Coulter's. There Joe Coulter blames Joseph for the incident. Joseph didn't think far enough ahead and have another dude with him. He left an avenue for attack or something. Joseph's mistake. He should of known her habits. (maybe setting blame up for the female victims at twi, i dunno)

As for me, I have all the respect in the world for Joseph.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Joseph went to prison rather than betray his employers trust. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR> He went to prison because he stood for God and Potiphar's wife stood for..well...not God. Joseph had no control over his employer's trust once she lied to him. She was a classic predator; even if Joseph would have gone along with her eventually she would have wearied of him and framed him anyway.

Objection------Calls for speculation <_<

Great post Dmiller-

I wasn't top leadership and I'm no Joseph. I had opportunities to take advantage of my position at times but I didn't.

I think it's very wrong for people to take advantage of anyone especially women when they use their position to do so.

I had no idea it was rampant among twi's top leadership.

There were many of us who were Corps who just wanted to serve God.

LCM and VP had the choice to do what they did. They wanted to do it.

All I can say is I'm embarrassed that I was a part of the leadership of that group and I'm so sorry that people did get hurt.

Edited by polar bear