GreaseSpot Cafe

Wikipedia Entry: Way Productions

Seth R.

Thought I would inform everyone that I added info on earlier Way Productions groups at Wikipedia and it should have said Stevie Kay.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Thought I would inform everyone that I added info on earlier Way Productions groups at Wikipedia and it should have said Stevie Kay.

When I showed this to Ted, I told him that no self-respectful article on Way Productions was complete without mention of my wonderful husband. :confused: So, I had to add him. :dance:

Oak

Craig did a long ranting at a Word in Business Meeting about the tape. As I remember it would be quicker to list the things he liked about it. I always felt sorry for her she deserved better than that.

Written in the Stars produced 1983 on her new Victory records label included the following:

Written in the Stars

He knew the Author Well

Follow your Heart

Supernatural You

Just like my Daddy

Bright and Morning Star ( not the PDSTRO Version)

Colorado Mountain Sky

I will Lead

Sail Away

Just One moment /Reprise

Interestingly enough the Way Bookstore sold these tapes at least till the point after Craig was done with it, after that it became the only tape I think to hold the status of a money back item in Way history. The memo went out that everyone should mail them back for a full refund. I don't think most did. I still have one. I always thought maybe it was the fact that she produced it away from the Way copyrights that started the mess. Good for her!

Some things he hated were the cover shot of her riding a white horse through the stars as that was Jesus' job not hers. The title!! everyone knows that it was Witnessed in the Stars (Bullinger) allthough I have a several tapes of VP saying the same thing at times. Follow your heart the song- we follow the Word.....

the song He knew the Author Well- egotisticical claim.... Well you get the idea.....

Edited by WhiteDove

Found this about the person that added all those Way entries to Wikipedia on her discussion to remove it as a religion and move it to a cult:

Not much else to say except that "I agree." But since I am involved in the group I might stay away from my just removing it...though I imagine that this sort of thing would have to be discussed first on the page or something...? Lsjzl 21:12, 25 June 2006 (UTC)

I had to add the line about the Corps bands... :redface2:

I also added a few names to the list of Joyful Noise that were left out, most notedly, our own Socks.

Who put this on Wikipedia anyway?

Edited by Hope R.

It's looking bit more complete, now. :)

* Gospel

* Rock and Roll

* Soul

* Country/Western

[edit]

Members of Way Productions

* Ted Ferrell (Originator and Musical Director)

* Mike Martin (vocals)

* Debra Olthouse (vocals)

* Claudettee Royal (vocals)

* Stevie Kay

* Helen Parker Sudduth

* Gregory Dean Ellenwood

* Cliff Adelman

* Brian Bliss

* Skip Mesquite

* John Ruiz

* Steve and Beverly Strick

* Ralph Dubofski

* Tom Lepenski

* Paul Vergilio/Paolo Emilio Dionisio

* Joe Fair

* Ralph Graham

* Paul Cuocoo

* Larry and Marianne Shicks

* David Bailey

[edit]

Musical Groups

[edit]

Official

* Singing Ladies of the Way

[edit]

Unofficial or former

* Good Seed

* High Country Trio

* Hope

* Joyful Noise

* Pressed Down, Shaken Together and Running Over

* Sing it Dave

* Selah (from the 1970's)

* The Victors

* Agape (UK)

* Takit

I had to add the line about the Corps bands... :redface2:

I also added a few names to the list of Joyful Noise that were left out, most notedly, our own Socks.

Who put this on Wikipedia anyway?

An innie. I posted above what she wrote about herself.

...But since I am involved in the group ... Lsjzl 21:12, 25 June 2006
Edited by moony3424

Oak

Craig did a long ranting at a Word in Business Meeting about the tape. As I remember it would be quicker to list the things he liked about it. I always felt sorry for her she deserved better than that.

Written in the Stars produced 1983 on her new Victory records label included the following:

Written in the Stars

He knew the Author Well

Follow your Heart

Supernatural You

Just like my Daddy

Bright and Morning Star ( not the PDSTRO Version)

Colorado Mountain Sky

I will Lead

Sail Away

Just One moment /Reprise

Interestingly enough the Way Bookstore sold these tapes at least till the point after Craig was done with it, after that it became the only tape I think to hold the status of a money back item in Way history. The memo went out that everyone should mail them back for a full refund. I don't think most did. I still have one. I always thought maybe it was the fact that she produced it away from the Way copyrights that started the mess. Good for her!

Some things he hated were the cover shot of her riding a white horse through the stars as that was Jesus' job not hers. The title!! everyone knows that it was Witnessed in the Stars (Bullinger) allthough I have a several tapes of VP saying the same thing at times. Follow your heart the song- we follow the Word.....

the song He knew the Author Well- egotisticical claim.... Well you get the idea.....

Yup, that's how I remember it too.

There was a smaller backlash against Joe Fair and Ralph Graham's "One by One" , I also thought it was because they released it themselves. Craig was mad at, then later bragged about, the fact that Billy Joel's drummer Liberty Divito played on that tape. I witnessed him ranting about having an unbeliever playing on the album, then I also witnessed Craig bragging about how Joe and Ralph were blessed to have Liberty play for them. Mixed message, thanks Loy!

Does anyone want to sell me their Takit on vinyl, or any other old Way records on vinyl?

Slightly :offtopic:

I left in 82. I don't seem to have any memory of Takit (then again, I have a hard time finding my car keys :biglaugh: ). Did Takit come along after 82-or if not, can someone give an example of some of their music?

I'm feeling silly. :redface2:

Takit toured in 1980 and '81. I recall seeing them in Cheyenne, Wyoming during the first half of my WOW year, which ran from Aug '80 - Feb '81. They were also playing at the big regional extravaganza in Minneapolis that was in the Spring of '81.

Their music was similar to mainstream rock & roll. David garibaldi & Skip Mesquite were in the band, as were Danny Hoefer, Dan Moran & Dean Ellenwood.

Edited by Oakspear

Takit was an attempt at having a postiive message for "the kids", without being over the top Christian Rock. Not alot of blatent "Jesus" messages, but it was positive. The 2nd album was even more secular with songs about the record industry (Tell Me More) , the evils of s&m (You're All Tied Up) and Media Manipulation (Would You Like To Be a Slave). It was good rock n roll. They pulled it off IMHO.

I really thought most way prod was crappy but I did like Takit. They were smart enough to figure out that regular way prod was never going to impress young people who were listening to Van Halen. Those kids were never going to get excited about Branded or Joyful Noise. That was for the adults.

I have the 2nd album on cassette but I MUST have the 7" vinyl they put out.

I don't think I'll EVER forget LCM's rant about Stevie Kay Louis' tape. I don't recall it being a Word in Biz conference, I thought it was at a Region meeting in Atlanta. Perhaps he did it more than once.

He went song by song and ripped each one to shreds.

He criticized "He Knew the Author Well" because it was about the man who started the Buck Stove company, which I believe Stevie's husband, Jamie, was working for at the time. There's a lyric in it that quotes him saying "I can't hardly read or spell" but "he knew the author well". Craig went ape-sh1t ! He yelled that no one could possibly know God without being able to read "the Word" - so this man couldn't POSSIBLY know God because he was functionally illiterate.

Another rant was regarding the fact that Stevie had her daughter sing on one of the songs. He thought it was the height of egotism. He said something like - "you're buying the tape to hear her --- not her kid!"

I think he was p!ssed that she didn't write a song about Him.... or that she didn't ask HIM to sing on it with her!

There was more - but those are the 2 I really remember. It sorta freaked me out - there was no reason at all for him to do that. No reason at all. It made me not want to write another song for TWI ever again for fear of that kind of hateful criticism.

Hope R.

P.S. Ken McC@w was not listed as a member of JN. I added it.

Edited by Hope R.

Craig must have been on tour bashing Stevie because I wasn't at Word in Business or Atlanta! What a crappy thing to spend so much energy on. Even if the record WAS "off the word", there's no need to bash her and push away a talented person who had been such a huge part of TWI and such an influence on so many people.

God Bless Stevie for having the guts to leave. Many of us would have put our tales between our legs, apologized and stayed like a mindless subordinate.

I can't help but think that there was another motive to go after her so hard. I'd bet on it.

Just when I thought I had run out of stories and memories, this Stevie thing pops up. It's amazing how much crap we put up with. They treated us like dogs. It makes me angry, still!

Craig went ape-sh1t ! He yelled that no one could possibly know God without being able to read "the Word" - so this man couldn't POSSIBLY know God because he was functionally illiterate.

Well -- one thing to be said about lcm ---

He was no *verbal paraplegic* :spy::evilshades::spy:

Just reading these posts raises the hair on the back of my neck...Stevie Kay Louis was one of the bright spots in twi...she was an extremely talented person who poured out her heart and stood faithful for many years with twi...her music inspired thousands for many years...

This is a good example of what a grade A jerk*** Martindale was...How DARE he? Who the frick did he think he was? The moron was continually cutting off his nose to spite his face...did someone molest him as a child or something?

This thread was the first I had heard of this story and it's just one more example of the total lack of love, heart and vision by Loy C. Martindale...the man deserved what he got... :realmad:

"did someone molest him as a child or something?"

It would be consistent with his behavior if that were indeed true. If that is the case then he too is a victim.

But at what point do you stop forgiving the victim and start prosecuting the assailant?

The mind boggles.

:(

All I know is I am breaking the chains, changing the pattern and moving on.

PS where is stevie now? anyone???