GreaseSpot Cafe

who left in '87?

sprawled out

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was suppose to go in the Corps. Glad we didn't.....Things were getting weird. :unsure: to :wacko:

I left in fall '86 ... final thing was the Mississippi LC coming over to take over, some BS about only teach thus and such, I forget exactly. I figured everyone would leave then. It was only about August 2005 that I heard (by finding greasespot somehow) the first news in over ten years that twi even still existed.

I left in early November of 1986.

I went back to the next Corps Week, to say goodbye, but didn't stay for the Rock. I felt, by that time, very much like an outsider among the brainwashed. It was a weird mixture of love, revulsion, thankfulness that I knew I'd never be back, and already missing the people with whom I'd lived and worked for so long.

I ran into my sweet friend Mr. Dan Friedly, who had been in the very first PFAL class (his precious wife Marilyn was in the second; they took turns keeping the children for one another), and we shared notes. He said that he figured that would be his last visit to HQ.

The days were full of those kinds of bittersweet moments. Lots of goodbyes, and lots of philosophical and Biblical discussions. Something that we'd valued very highly had crumbled beneath us, and there was no putting it back together. We had seen behind the curtain.

Suspicious looks from some folks, too, because I was not the way I had been.

By that time, I'd already sat for my first semester of back-to-college classes, so there was no doubt that I was heading somewhere other than an Ohio cornfield in my life. But I still appreciated the simplicity of the cornfield lifestyle, and understood its lure, however false.

I left in early 1987 from the D.C. area after Howard Allen took JAL's toilet paper holder.

LOL - Howard came to Chicago in the early '80s - talked about toilet paper at an area meeting on the south side of Chicago - you can image how that went over. He also made this more than moronic comment - "Some of my best frieds are black" And this guy was BOT of a minstry that would save the world?

Sorry ranting now

As one who did NOT leave in that time peried (stayed until 2000) I can say in retrospect, it was the BEST time to leave. You did not miss much after that except grief and frustration.

But some of you guys who left back then would have nothing to do with some of us who stayed in. We were sort of "marked and avoided in reverse" by a few people, especially Geerites who seem to shun just about everybody anyway. I found that rather strange.

I wanted to talk and share but some of ya'll were mean about it...like "What gives you the right to stay in and condone the board of trustees, etc. etc. yada, yada." Heck one reason I stayed was to try and affect reform from within. That job clearly became hopeless over time. But I felt at least I was trying.

Edited by igotout

I left in '88.....but worked from home while on staff from '85-'88 so didn't have to show up except once a week to take in transcripts that I was typing of the entire Rock of Ages from day one till then. So the actual year of leaving would have been '88.

LOL - Howard came to Chicago in the early '80s - talked about toilet paper at an area meeting on the south side of Chicago - you can image how that went over.

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but what's the deal with HA and toilet paper/JAL's toilet paper holder?