GreaseSpot Cafe

Foolhardy behavior

rascal

Ya, like building it facing west so the front of the building could be prominent. Instead they built it facing north, obscuring the front in the woods and leaving building mechanicals such as industrial grade transformers in plain view, wrecking curb appeal. Not to mention a giant storm overflow pond in plain view. The boathouse? Nothing but mechanicals inside.

Not to get too far off topic. But I was told it was done so VPW would be facing north when he taught in the auditorium. Something about God and northern symbolism in scripture. Anywho.

I agree that it's oriented oddly on the site.

I don't know for sure, but the reason you heard for its odd position sounds like one of those twi urban legends. I never heard it said at HQ when the building was being built, when I toured the construction site, when VPW talked about its various elements and the reasons behind them, at the dedication service, or any other time.

Looks to me like it was just bad planning, and I'd be willing to guess it wasn't the choice of the architects but VPW's, since he always seemed to micromanage such projects!

I don't know for sure, but the reason you heard for its odd position sounds like one of those twi urban legends.

Likely so. I was hoping for some clarification. The person who told me has been around TWI for 30 years or so and said that VPW noted it on a STS. I have never heard it mentioned otherwise. But given VPW's track record, it wouldn't surprise me.

Looks to me like it was just bad planning, and I'd be willing to guess it wasn't the choice of the architects but VPW's, since he always seemed to micromanage such projects!

It's very poor planning. Especially since the auditorium is considered the centerpiece of the property. It's also the building that let's them qualify as a church. But to obscure the front of the building is just plain goofy.

But to obscure the front of the building is just plain goofy.

This is probably one of those things that looking back on it tells more than you think. A "worldwide" teaching auditorium, yet it's front is obscured. That encapsulates TWI. What they really believe is completely obscured by their public relations image and front they put up. What they really believe is narrow-minded, based on an unquestionable political hierarchy, and hurtful to people.

• 4 years later...