GreaseSpot Cafe

Now I've Heard Everything

Pirate1974

When I first saw this, I had to take a second look to be sure it wasn't coming from "The Onion" or "National Lampoon" but apparently it's on the level.

NEW YORK (AFP) - Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes have yet to show their baby daughter off in public, but eager fans were given an unusual preview with the chance to see a bronze cast depicting her first solid stool.

The scatological sculpture -- more doodoo than Dada -- is purportedly cast from 19-week old Suri's first bowel movement and will be shown at the Capla Kesting gallery in Brooklyn, New York, before being auctioned off for charity.

The artist behind the work, Daniel Edwards, previously courted controversy with a life-size nude sculpture of pop star Britney Spears giving birth on a bearskin rug. That work was shown at the same gallery in April.

"A bronzed cast of baby's first poop can be a meaningful memento for the family," gallery director David Kesting said, adding that he hoped the work would attract bids of up to 25 or 30,000 dollars.

The sculpture, which sits on a wooden mounting with a glass casing, is to be sold on eBay next month with proceeds from the sale going to infant health charity March Of Dimes.

As of Wednesday it had attracted a top bid of 41 dollars.

"Mission: Impossible" star Cruise and Holmes announced Suri's birth in April. The entertainment press, which dubbed the pair "TomKat," has shown a seemingly insatiable appetite for news of the pair and their "TomKitten."

A spokeman for the couple was not immediately available Wednesday to comment on the sculpture.

Holy S**t!! I had no idea there was a market for this stuff. I've heard of bronzing a baby's first shoes, but not the first diaper filler. And to think I let those "meaningful mementos for the family" get away. What a waste.

There's a picture, but I wasn't sure I should post that. It looks like what it's supposed to be, only bronze.

The rich are just like you and me, only some of them are Looney Tunes.

Had to read to article again - it's her first "solid" stool. She was 19 weeks old when it was "retrieved".

How very sad someone would actually pay for this. Glad a charity is the receipient. Hope it's a worthwhile one! As we know, not all "not-for-profit" organizations can make that claim.

Can just imagine the look on Sudo's face if I asked him to spend some of our hard-earned cash on bronzed poop! Not to mention the look on the face of a visitor to our home if they saw that displayed as a piece of art.

Here's how I see this:

People from all over the world have paid good money to watch his films and folks have adored his beautiful wife. They have accepted all the world's praise and given us back, (in return) a piece of ..... Granted it's mounted artfully on a slab of wood, but it's still a piece of ....!