GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Star Trek Episode

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I formally request third party arbitration.... I name the Grizellas to arbitrate. Unfortunately they are currently in their hibernation cycle. However they will awaken in six months, at which time we'll get this matter settled. Now do you want to wait... or give me my three weeks."

Edited by Raf

It's the Next Gen episode where Data is trying to convince the colonists of some planet to evacuate because the owning civilization of silicon creatures wants to populate it, but they don't want to leave, despite the threat of them being exterminated by said silicon race if they don't.

Right? I know I'm right. :spy:

Now, here's my quote:

"I married her, because it was the logical thing to do at the time."

vulcan.gif

He correctly described the episode, but it wasn't silicon (which was a whole different episode about the Crystalline Entity), it was the Sheliac, a race that made the Vogons look like rule-breaking loose cannons. They were sticklers for the law, and the treaty they had was something like a half-million pages. Picard begged them for extra time, and they would not relent, so he invoked that paragraph in the treaty, giving him 6 months rather than 3 weeks. When they protested, he cut them off. I think it was Worf who replied, "Captain, the Sheliac are hailing us. Picard responded by liesurely walking along the bridge, checking the railing for dust, and then patiently saying "on screen." The Sheliac agreed to give him his three weeks. Picard thanked them and they signed off.

That's when Riker said, "You enjoyed that."

And Picard replied, "You're damn right."

The Episode was called The Ensigns of Command.

A masterpiece, if you haven't seen it.

He correctly described the episode, but it wasn't silicon (which was a whole different episode about the Crystalline Entity), it was the Sheliak, a race that made the Vogons look like rule-breaking loose cannons.

[Personally, I believe the Sheliak were a silicon-based lifeform.

They LOOKED like they were made of rock. I say "personally" because I can't find an official source

saying they are.]

They were sticklers for the law, and the treaty they had was something like a half-million pages.

[The Treaty of Armens "was established in 2255 between the Sheliak Corporate and the United Federation of Planets. It contained 500,000 words and took 372 Federation legal experts to draft."]

Picard begged them for extra time,

[The Sheliak wanted to wipe out the entire colony, since they had their OWN colony on their way to the

planet. Humans had crashed on the planet, and their descendants were living there and had just been

discovered. A colony-ship could have evacuated them if it had a 3-week window to arrive and evac them.

Data tried to convince the colony to pack rather than be destroyed (the radiation levels were very high),

while Picard spent the entire episode trying to negotiate for 3 weeks with the Sheliak. Negotiation calls for

imprecise language, which is the way to anger the Sheliak. So, he'd hail the Sheliak. At each attempt, they

"hung up" on the Enterprise.]

and they would not relent, so he invoked that paragraph in the treaty, giving him 6 months rather than 3 weeks.

[He quoted DIRECTLY from the treaty, citing paragraph and subsection which gave them SIX MONTHS

by strict application of the terms of the treaty. When the Sheliak captain balked-probably shocked he'd been

outsmarted-Picard jumped in, accused the Sheliak of preparing to violate the treaty, and announced it was

therefore "in abeyance". *cuts connection*

Riker: *grinning* "You ENJOYED that!"

Picard: "You're d*ed RIGHT!"

*signal tone*

Worf:"Captain, they are hailing us"

Picard: *strolls casually across the bridge*

*examines the Enterprise's dedication plaque for dust with a finger*

*strolls casually back across the bridge*

*takes a deep breath*

"Open channel."

Sheliak Captain: "You may have your three weeks, Picard of the Enterprise."

Picard: "Thank you."

Meanwhile, Data had finally convinced the colonists that the Sheliak were ready

to just bomb them into oblivion in seconds if they stayed, so their choices really

were "evacuate or die."

Data's significant line, when making a demonstration on how to obliterate

the entire colony quickly...

"[iThat[/i] was the stun setting. This is not."

*fires one shot, destroying their aqueduct*

NOW they get it. They agree leaving beats the heck out of dying.

(After a few more words now that he has their attention.)]

The Episode was called The Ensigns of Command.

A masterpiece, if you haven't seen it.

well that was used in "By any other Name" when Scotty was getting the alien drunk. Actually Scotty said "It's green"--so...

You are referring to Data reprising the 'joke' in 10 forward, speaking without the contraction . I forget who he's getting it for-it may even be Scotty- but he's asked if they have anything to drink besides synthehol.

That close enough ?

Raf is correct. "The Naked Time"

Sulu is running around the ship, shirtless, with a sword, seeing himself as a 'swashbuckler', due to the alien microbe. He enters the bridge and grabs Uhura, calling her a 'fair maiden". She rebuffs him with "sorry, neither".

Meanwhile, Riley has taken over the engine room, and Spock is losing it, but that's another story.

"You hit me! Picard never hit me!"

"I'm not Picard."

That was Q (complete with cheezy moustache) in a 19th century boxing ring,

bareknuckle-fighting against Ben Sisko in "Q-LESS."

It also had the only in-episode criticism of the DS9 crew not having all answers

at their fingertips all the time.

(Well, they were not all the Federation's best and brightest,

as the Enterprise-D supposedly had,

nor were they using up-to-date machinery-

1/2 their systems were jury-rigged between 2 different technologies

(Federation and Cardassian).

By the way, Trekkies: Today is the fortieth anniversary of the first Star Trek episode. Aired September 8, 1966 at 7:30 EST-and it was a Thursday. Not to interrupt the flow, but on this auspicious occasion, anyone know what the name of the first episode name?

Pardon the derail.

The not-aired series pilot, "the Cage" (with even cheezier special effects than the rest of

the show, and a cruder opening sequence) doesn't count, since that didn't air until,

I think, the 1990s. Segments were later used in both parts of "the Menagerie."

For some reason, I sometimes mistakenly think "the Menagerie" was the series

official opening. But it wasn't. Matching the opening monologue, it was

"Where No Man Has Gone Before."

CORRECTION: "Charlie-X" aired before "WNMHGB."

They weren't filmed in that order, but that was the airing order.

Frankly, I don't see much difference between the plots-

both have humans with Q-like powers,

only one's just some citizen and the other's an Enterprise crew-member.

Must be why I keep confusing THOSE 2 episodes.

FURTHER CORRECTION: Hiway29's right, "THE MAN-TRAP" aired before both,

and was THE first episode AIRED.

Good thing I don't do this for a living....

Edited by WordWolf